1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Great 2021 COVID Vaccine Chase

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Supermac34, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

What area are you looking for?

2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I'm in NC, where it seems we're on our own to sort things out.

TWS1986 and Sooty like this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Offtopic man but how is NC? Is it better than Houston? I'm trying to move there

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Almost every person I know that wants a vaccine has been able to schedule an appointment in the last week somewhere.

A little more than 100,000,000 people have gotten at least one dose...which Dr. Scott Gotlieb estimated was the "deep" demand for vaccines at this point (number of people that will do anything to get it ASAP). The next 100,000,000 will get the vaccine when its easily available to varying degrees of urgency (walk into CVS or Walmart...like a flu shot), but they are not going to try to make appointments, rush out to get one, or worry about it. The rest won't get it, or are children that are not yet eligible yet.

5. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I'm ready to move. But TONS of people are moving here, so I guess it's not all bad, lol.

Seriously, Charlotte, Wilmington, and Asheville can be nice places to live, but they have their issues. Real estate is getting very pricey, traffic and commute times are horrendous for a city the size of Charlotte (and it's only getting worse), schools are pretty meh overall, some areas are sketchy/high-crime. Pretty much normal city stuff.

Do you have a particular area in mind? Any needs/requirements? I'll be happy to give you whatever info I can. PM me if you would like.

TWS1986 and cheke64 like this.
  6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If only 33% get it how effective will the vaccine be. All you need is some mutation and it starts all over again.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

FL just dropped to 40 plus today. It was early afternoon when I scheduled for wednesday. I have to drive little over an hour for the first dose but the second dose was local. These very rural areas have a glut of supply. People are being picky at this point. That is why 31 of the states are about to go 16+ in the next week or so. June 1st covid is over.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

More than 33% of the over 18 population has already had at least 1 shot. With how the numbers are trending I'd guess we are somewhere between 50-60% by the end of April.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

9. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

So, is there any reason not to get the vaccine at this point? I know there are a lot of people still not eligible and others are still on the fence. Thoughts on the people who have paid a little more attention to the results this year...

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No.

I got both of my Pfizer shots already.

No side effects!

DD

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The US has not approved the only vaccine that had any major issues (the Astra Zeneca vaccine) so as far as the US goes, there's no downside. We've run through huge numbers of vaccines for all three approved vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna and J&J) and other than some flu like symptoms for a select few people for two or three days, there's really nothing else to worry about (and nothing long term).

Just remember that Covid itself can have huge long term effects even if one recovers. Lots of people have reported permanent and semi-permanent lung capacity issues and fatigue issues. To me that is the scariest part of Covid. I really don't want to deal with permanent damage to my lungs so I'm all for getting vaccinated asap.

snowconeman22 and rusHour like this.
  12. Supermac34

The only reason to not get it at this point is that if you believe your gene pool needs less of a chance to procreate. And maybe people that TRULY have a history of anaphylaxis...which is extremely rare.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just got my second Pfizer shot a few hours ago. I did have a slight metallic taste in my mouth for about 5 minutes. I drank a bottle of water and it went away.

Sooty likes this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Where do people get the vaccine and fertility connection? Is it just simply because “we don’t know”? I don’t see the connection between the mechanism of how the vaccine works and the fertility concerns but I’m open to actual evidence.

Someone who has the first shot told me he’s not getting the 2nd one because that quack **** from Houston has called it gene manipulation. Research your sources folks.

15. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I'm not a anti-vaxxer by any means, just dont like the idea of taking a vaccine that was quickly made.

I'm in my late 20s, healthy, I do really want to take the vaccine so I have less worry when I'm out in public but I also have some worry about potential long term side effects from it that we might not know of yet. Of course covid 19 is a huge concern long term as well so it's like a risk either way for me in my mind. What yall think? Of course if I was 65+ I would definitely be taking it but not sure what to do here.

Also, which vaccine is more preferable, Moderna or Pfizer?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I got the first dose of pfizer on Monday, wife got it on Tuesday. Wife said she had a headache and something funny with her tongue. I didn't feel hardly anything.

I was "on the fence" because of the "unknown" but just kind of got over it for a few reasons.

1. Kind of want to do my part for my family. We have elderly people and I don't want to spread it to them, so want to lower the chances. Plus, I'm the sole breadwinner in my family, so if I go down with it, we've got big problems.
    2. I don't think that the doctors would release something that would be catastrophic. I have to keep a basic faith in humanity that we're ultimately doing the right thing, otherwise I'd need to stock up on ammo, build a bunker, or go out and live in the woods.
    3. The "we don't know the long term" effects argument finally went away with me. They've been studying vaccines and the ingredients in them for years, they just had to get the solution right for this particular virus. It's not like they went out in the rain forest and found a magically plant that they grinded up and put in the vile.
    4. All my doctor and nurse friends got it, so again, kind of trusting the people smart than me. They ask me about accounting, I ask them about health.

RocketWalta and TheGreat like this.
  17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Either is fine. I guess Pfizer might be slightly preferable because you can get your second shot in 3 weeks instead of 4. Personally, I prefer the J&J simply because I like the idea of getting a single shot and skipping the hassle of getting a booster.

Also J&J might make you more comfortable because its based on using an adenovirus as a vector (which is a very tested and proven vaccine mechanism) instead of the mRNA process that Pfizer and Moderna uses.

But either way, I really feel quite confident about all of them. We've had so many people globally try these vaccines at this point. The vaccine manufacturers are still studying people after vaccination and no issues have come up.

snowconeman22, Pringles and TheGreat like this.
  18. Pringles

Pringles Member

I am the opposite of you - wanted the vaccine as fast as I can get it, so I can stop worrying about it and move on. I'm more of a - I trust the scientists' intelligence more than my own intuitions.

But in regards to your last question, most definitely Pfizer. Me and a group of my friends (all in our mid - late twenties) got our 2nd dose of Moderna yesterday. And the 6 of us all had terrible sleep due to chills, fever, etc. Even today (the day after), I am struggling to do mundane tasks for work. Again, this is purely antidotal and also based on what I've heard from other friends/read online, but seems like Pfizer has less of a punch.

I'd probably prioritized Johnson and Johnson first, then Pfizer, and then Moderna. But I am grateful to obtain any of the vaccines, so it doesn't bother me.

19. Supermac34

mRNA vaccines have been under development for 18 years. mRNA vaccines for corona type viruses have been under development for 10 years. mRNA vaccines for this specific coronovirus was designed 14 months ago...the only thing they did between January 2020 and December 2020 was test it.

Its not a "quickly made" vaccine. Its the culmination of 18 years of research and testing.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member