1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alarming surge’ in anti-Asian violence across US terrifies community members

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Feb 20, 2021.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I sent you a video of the Chinatown Oakland protest against a similar law that would not punish the attacks on seniors cause of petty crime

2. Rockability

Rockability Member

That's how the politicians get the liberal votes in the Bay Area in order to stay in office and continue to enjoy their fat compensation package.

I wonder how these people can sleep well at night.

tinman likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

@rocketsjudoka
    New York City

#264 tinman, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

@Sweet Lou 4 2
    What is going on in New York City

@saitou

@J.R.
    Apparently these peace rallies in city aren’t really working

#265 tinman, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Watch those ******* workers that didn't help her and closed the door.

Nook, jiggyfly and tinman like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was going to post about the fight on the subway. The video is disturbing but I really want to be careful jumping to a conclusion there. I haven't seen anything saying how the incident started and not knowing that don't know if there is an acceptable or even justified use of force. If this started with both individuals agreeing to fight it isn't self-defense or assault (with a caveat) for either. For that matter if the person who loses actually attacked first it could be a legitimate case of self-defense. Just because someone loses a fight doesn't mean the winner is legally culpable.

What is disturbing is no one intervenes and understandably it is scary and risky to intervene but for the safety of even bystanders.

In the video it appears the "attacker" has some training. If it actually was that guy who started it or even voluntarily entered into a fight that could be assault. Martial arts training in some jurisdiction is considered more seriously in use of force.

Nook likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

The city had a massive unity rally
    And it apparently did nothing to stop this from the attacker or the bystanders or security people

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I know everyone wants to simplify every incident
    But you have to go down to the roots of the problem and watching cable news like the majority of the lemmings here doesn’t answer the question.
    It just means people watch too much cable news.

You actually have to go to the city and even neighborhood level. this anger didn’t boil up over one or two years , there’s history.
    There’s no racial or class harmony in these big cities that it takes more than few rallies and blaming politics for to solve the root of the hatred.

Again I blame this on human nature and people can’t get along well in crowded spaces. Throw in race and class you get lots of incidents and crime.

If the situation was these two were being attacked by wolves in forest then they would cooperate to survive. Put them in New York City and the humans attack each other

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  10. rockbox

Is there a longer video than the tik tok video? I don't see anything that would indicate he had any training other than the choke hold at the end but any bozo that watched WWE as a kid could pull that off.

That being said it's hard to to come to any conclusion about hate or racisim from the video. It could be just two guys escalating ****. The Asian could have said something racist to the black guy that triggered him. Who knows until you see more context. That being said, there seems to be some definite animosity between Blacks and Asians in these big cities for some reason.

tinman likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I saw on another site that says that the Asian guy called the black guy an N-word. If that's the case then that might be considering "fighting words" that would mean he incited it. The other guy's response was disproportionate but once they've agreed to fight then the Asian guy probably can't claim assault.

As for training it's one thing to see choke that puts someone to sleep on the WWE and another to actually execute it in a fight. Also his punches look a little sharper than just a brawler.

12. rockbox

We used to put each other to sleep as kids watching WWE before UFC was a thing. The reason I don't think he was trained was because he didn't really control his body when he got the choke in. That is normally the first thing you learn when learning the choke.

But who knows. You are definitely more versed at martial arts than I am. I'm only good enough to hold off a blue belt in BJJ to get few licks in.

That's neither here or there. We both agree that we need more info before we can classify this a racial attack.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This must feel horrible for kids whose parents always told them to go about their business unnoticed and never speak up. Be the model minority. Just work hard and don't make a fuss about anything. Young Asians need to change that mindset in the community and start speaking out loud about the racism they experience in crimes. I particularly think Asians and Latin Americans can form a great coalition because of our shared cultural beliefs.

tinman likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not saying he did it well but don't expect in a street brawl to be able to execute techniques perfectly. Anyway the only reason I bring it up is if the guy did have training that affects the legal situation. I've been told that if you are trained in martial arts even agreeing to enter a fight you could be held to a higher legal standard and what might be considered assault can be considered assault with a weapon.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Asians definitely should speak up.

I'm not sure there is much affinity between Asians and Latin Americans. I've had bigoted comments made towards me by people of all races including Latinos. There has also been racism targeted towards Asian in Latin American countries. I think it's more important to address these issues overall across all groups than try to make alliances with one group.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

I think it's about everyone individually looking at themselves and making sure they are right first.
    It's not the other man, it's the man in the mirror.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Is he going to change his ways?

Sorry I prefer Tupac to Michael Jackson.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Tupac sampled Liberian Girl on

Letter to my Unborn Child

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member