1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jerryclark, Jan 13, 2021.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. I kind of understood when Lebron/Wade/Bosh did it. But then Durant joins a title team, Lebron does 2 more times, KL tries in LAC, Harden tries with RW, and now the Nets. It' s just not interesting in anymore. The drama and chess match has been thrown out for superheroes and explosions.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yet it was interesting when Magic and Kareem played with Worthy and other studs and went to 8 finals in a decade? This league has seen super teams all the time. The only difference is players have more say in making them. But you’ve been watching stacked teams for the majority of time you’ve been watching basketball.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Worthy and Magic were drafted by the Lakers

Harden and Durant and Kyrie were not drafted by the Nets

ramotadab and Jontro like this.
  4. HL3

HL3 Member

Who cares? Harden wasn't drafted by the Rockets either.

jiggyfly and ramotadab like this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

Did you even read the other post

comparing teams from the 80s that were built by drafts vs a team that was built by a buddy system today
    Shows that they are not similar

@Reeko

And my post wasn’t responding to you
    So you care

6. riko

riko Member

Interesting a lot of former players/current and media members are coming out to support harden and his MVP case but when he was in Houston they were all quiet.

BigShasta, Nook and Jontro like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Does it matter
    And
    Why?

Players control their destiny more.
    How about Shaq and Kobe Lakers
    Tampering and league manipulation.

Hell people still talk about the frozen envelope

Rocket River

8. tinman

Supporting Member

It does. Looks like players now are not as loyal to their teams as before.
    Kobe never left the lakers.
    He never joined Tim Duncan or LeBron

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm not talking about developing him. HL3 is right that he doesn't have the strength for some guys, but he's already shown lateral quickness on defense (something LMA can't do), and good hands and soft touch on rim rolls and finishes. this dude should be getting increased playing time, not handing it over to someone who is just a name at this point.

jiggyfly and MettaWorldPete like this.
  10. francis 4 prez

they can already do that with an even better 40% 3 point shooter in jeff green, who can also move his feet on defense. this is why i don't understand why people think aldridge is such a big addition. he does almost nothing that other people on the nets aren't already doing better. the one skill he has that the nets don't is post scoring, and i'm guessing every defense in the league would be thrilled if the nets wasted an offensive possession by letting aldridge post up instead of harden/KD/kyrie shooting.

the thing about iggy and draymond is that everything they took away from your offensive spacing was more than made up for by their elite defense clamping teams down on the other end.

11. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

He may be semi washed up but he's far from done. He's a big addition for the Nets because

1. Playing with Harden may rejuvenate him.
    2. Playoff experience, Him and Blake are going to be huge for the Nets come playoff time. Book it.
    3. His midrange game
    4. Floor spacer
    5. Gives Harden & Durant more rest
    5. I think this is the most important one. It's a win for the Nets because Aldridge did not go to Nets' competitors.

ramotadab and Rocket River like this.
  12. francis 4 prez

but why does it matter? in theory the players and GM are all pulling in the same direction on a team. why does it matter if the GM figures out a way to hookwink a team out of the #1 overall draft pick so they can add worthy or if kevin durant figures out a way to convince someone that joining their team would be good? adding talent is adding talent. if what durant is doing isn't honorable from a competitive perspective, then shouldn't kareem and magic have done the honorable thing and told their GM that they didn't think it was really right to add another #1 overall draft pick and create a dynasty? i don't particularly like either one but i don't really see the difference, from a league or player legacy perspective, in players who accidentally found themselves on superteams that they did nothing to stop and players who actively created a superteam.

13. francis 4 prez

that's because he won early and often on his original team. i suspect most players would like to play for one team their whole career. if you win early and get that monkey off your back, it's a lot easier to hang around if there are any down years (the lakers had like 3 total down years) because the whole world isn't pointing out that you don't have a ring. you won, the fans love you unconditionally at that point, why would you leave. same reason steph is the one guy that isn't leaving. he won before the time when guys start looking elsewhere. same reason for duncan, magic, and bird.

14. francis 4 prez

i guess i don't have the confidence in blake and aldridge's playoff experience that other people do. outside of aldridge's 2 crazy games against us in 2014, i don't think of either as any sort of world class playoff players who know exactly what to do at any given moment. lots of teams have made the mistake of playing washed guys because they had experience instead of playing younger guys who are providing more current value. maybe these guys will outplay the other nets role players in the playoffs but for right now they don't seem much better.

as for his spacing. sure, it's nice, but almost everyone on the current nets roster provides spacing, often at even higher levels than aldridge. if he just replaces TLC's 35% 3 point shooting with his own 35% 3 point shooting, it doesn't make a huge difference. and he's significantly below green and harris so if he forces either of those guys off the court at the end of a playoff game, that might be a win for the opponent. your point #5 (the 2nd #5 :)) is a good one.

jiggyfly and MettaWorldPete like this.
  15. Mr Chuck Norris

That harden Aldridge pick and pop is going to be deadly and y’all know it. It’s funny people kept sayin nets need a big heirs need a big. Then they get Blake and LMA now it’s no not that one. Meanwhile claxton who was there while everyone was saying they need a big, is the reason why this is “dumb” lol.

LMA/Blake/KD/KY/beard

Who do you help off of?

Jontro likes this.
  16. francis 4 prez

green/harris/KD/KY/beard is a lineup the nets already have and it has even better shooters in green and harris. almost nobody on the team can be left open except DJ and he just rim runs and dunks. i don't think anyone meant they should get a big guy who can hit an 18 footer because they already have all the shooting. everyone meant they need someone to protect the rim because their defense is horrible.

Wulaw Horn and MettaWorldPete like this.
  17. MettaWorldPete

Exactly. They lack defense, rebounding, and generally players with both size and skill that can hang w giannis, davis, lebron, jokic, etc. They still lack that, which is why I think the Lakers can give them a real challenge. Blake and LMA are useful in that they have greater depth of NBA level talent in case of injuries.

It really pisses me off that LMA peaked against us and never looked that good before or since. Horrible coaching blunder letting him get hot w an undersized defender.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He forced his way out of Charlotte

Rocket River

BigShasta, roslolian and Icehouse like this.
  19. Icehouse

Like I said, all that’s different is players have more say. The teams aren’t anymore talented. You just care because a player has a say in the matter.

FYI, Magic CHOSE LA too. This was pre lottery. If they didn’t have the top pick he said he was going back to school. He came out to play with Kareem. So a player choice created that dynasty. Moses CHOSE Philly in 83 too. Wilt CHOSE LA when he formed a Superteam with Baylor and West too.

#3999 Icehouse, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Rocket River likes this.
  20. Icehouse

And also had Malone and Payton come over to form a Superteam after Duncan beat them in 03.

Rocket River likes this.