1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Great 2021 COVID Vaccine Chase

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Supermac34, Jan 4, 2021.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

"Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again. Learn more about why getting vaccinated is a safer way to build protection than getting infected.

If you were treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma, you should wait 90 days before getting a COVID-19 vaccine. Talk to your doctor if you are unsure what treatments you received or if you have more questions about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.

Experts are still learning more about how long vaccines protect against COVID-19 in real-world conditions. CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My mother is still searching for a site in Houston or near SE Houston to give her the 2nd dose that was cancelled on their end yesterday. No luck. She had her first shot Feb 27th. You would think they would save and schedule 2nd doses when they get the first one, especially for someone 83. Ugh.

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I had my first Pfizer shot scheduled at Memorial Southeast Hospital for 7:32 AM. Shout out to this place for efficient and quick service. I got here early, and waited maybe 8 minutes before getting the shot. Was done by 7:21, and they have me scheduled for my second dose at the same time April 15th.

Meanwhile, my poor Mom didn't get this type service at the City sites. Her 2nd appt was cancelled yesterday for Bayou City Event Center and she can't find a place anywhere in Houston, Webster, Clear Lake, Pasadena, or Pearland to get the 2nd dose of Moderna and is overdue.

B-Bob and mikol13 like this.
  4. mug

mug Member

If she’s willing to drive to the Beaumont area she should be able to get a Moderna shot this week. I got one in Orange, TX last week.

http://vaccine.beaumonttexas.gov/

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Well, she has one in Humble for tomorrow. Just trying to find something closer to this area. Thanks.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I finally got scheduled after 7 weeks waiting...with another 2 weeks until I get the first vaccination. At least the place is near me and it should be quick.

Pringles likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yes!! I posted my story on twitter in response to Mayor Turner and Houston Health Dept. reached out to me. They scheduled my mom for tomorrow. Nothing else worked, but social media saved the day.

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

Glad to hear your mom is able to get the 2nd dosage! Shame that the first place couldn't properly figure out the logistics....

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Well actually, she is going to Bayou City Event Center again, but the Houston Health Dept made it happen I guess. The number to reschedule after she was cancelled could only offer her Humble on Sat afternoon at some airport parking lot. All the resources for the city and county told her they had no Moderna available anywhere in the city or any other city in the SE part of Houston. CVS Health told her the same thing.

I had even tried several hospitals and medical facilities in surrounding communities that showed Moderna vaccine on the DSHS vaccine map, and they said no vaccines available. She tried CVS and Walgreens as well. Anyway, it is happening finally, so that's a good thing.

#309 deb4rockets, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Pringles and TWS1986 like this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I got my first one today. Pfizer.

Kinda bleak conversation with the nurse about variants and booster shots. Sounds like we need to get used to getting stuck routinely.

Andre0087, B-Bob and deb4rockets like this.
  11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

My mother went to Bayou City Event Center for her second shot yesterday. There was no line driving in, and once we drove through the initial check in area we parked, went inside, and she got was vaccinated within 10 minutes max. She went there for her first dose as well, and both times the experience was top notch. There were friendly people ensuring you were directed to a seat and taken care of. That place is HUGE inside, and groups of 2 chairs side by side are well spread out from others. There were tons of empty chairs both times we went.

I went to Memorial Hermann Southeast, which is close to my house. As for convenience and quick service I liked it better. The main difference was that we waited in a hallway before they opened the room. There were a few chairs, all occupied, and less than 3 feet apart, so I just stood for 5 minutes. No big deal, but the small room we entered to get vaccinated and wait was very small. The chairs were much closer together, maybe 3 feet apart, unlike Bayou City Event Center, which had more space than people by far. Both had great service, but if Bayou City Event Center wasn't so much farther away I would have preferred it.

Pringles likes this.
  12. Pringles

Pringles Member

Dr. Faucci had stated that it could be a possibility to have a flu and "covid" shot every season moving forward.

B-Bob and deb4rockets like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I think so. The good news is that the technology can totally keep up with the virus mutations, but we'll need boosters.

With the virus still getting so much time in human hosts (like in Europe and the probable upswing of new strains in the US), we'll get all sorts of weird mutations.

Soldier on though.

ElPigto and Pringles like this.
  14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Pringles likes this.
  15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just got a text from the city.

5000 1st doses of Moderna available at Delmar Stadium April 1-3 if anybody is looking. First come-first serve.

After March 29, the city is vaccinating anybody over 18yo so you shouldn't have to be in a population "group" to get the shot.

https://houstonemergency.org/covid-19-vaccine

B-Bob, MadMax and Blake like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was finally able to get an appointment for a shot as MN is opening up qualifications for anyone over 16 starting March 30th. It took awhile with several false steps (my appointment getting filled as I was entering my info). Was able to get an appointment April 1 but have to go to a site about an hour north of Minneapolis. They also didn't specify which vaccine I would be getting. Most likely Pfizer.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Got the 2nd shot (Pfizer) Friday. Other than the same type of arm soreness as the first for about a day, I didn't have any other reactions or symptoms

MadMax and Blake like this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I got in on this. I get my first dose this coming Friday

B-Bob and Ottomaton like this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Second Pfizer dose scheduled for Tuesday

20. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

This has probably been said already, but I would advice anyone on the fence about getting a vaccine to at least schedule an appointment. I know that's probably a d******d way of going about things, but I waited a little longer than I should have to schedule my first shot and will be waiting weeks to get one now as a result. I checked a couple days after making my appointment and it looks like the facilities in my area aren't even accepting appointments now.

Something to think about...

Sooty likes this.