1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Lives Matter activist claims white Jesus statues should come down because they're racist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jun 22, 2020.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

No they are not and stop hating.
    Stop hating on a religion you loser.
    Calling everything racist when its not is racist itself.

Believing in Jesus is not racist. Having a picture of Jesus and your modern day image of jesus be an italian looking dude from 5th century. It absolutely is not racist.
    Sure if jesus was depicted wearing a swastika or a common hate symbol that image would be rightly shunned.

In this case you should be shunned for promoting hate and creating race in something based on your own projections or whatever you are harboring. Thats on you and no place here you fu*ck face l.

For just once its not about you ..or black people.. and attacking a religious image is crossing the line. Fu*ck you!!

You are racist screw you you chump

You think everything is race and that is why you fail.
    NEXT

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think mistaking a noose as a racist symbol is this act of a sjw mob. People are clearly very sensitive right now with everything happening. When you hear it - it sounds really bad. But thankfully an investigation found out it was nothing which is honestly the best outcome possible. Who wants to live in a world of hate? Better to find out something wasn't that.

Racism isn't something that is black or white. There's a lot of shades in between and it is inherently tied into culture and institutions. Is it racist to fashion Jesus to reflect the way one looks? You could certainly argue that it's part of seeing one's race as superior, or you could argue it's the vanity of humanity. Is there a difference though?

If you want to address racism, people need to be introspective and understand one's own biases which are both personal and cultural. Yes there are people who commit racist acts we all can agree that are without a doubt racist. But maybe we need to look deeper and understand the roots of that act.

Where does racism come from? How do people develop racist views? Shouldn't those be the questions we start asking if we want to stop racism?

Rileydog and jiggyfly like this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

how can you argue its about superiority when it was marketing a look of jesus as an italian dude to the SAME audience in italy?!

If im depicting ANY product ( think ford truck man) you think for the texas ad Im going to show a dude in eskimo gear and winter coat?

Christianity became fairly entrenched at the 5th century and that Italian dude imagery was NOT about superior it was about demographics and knowing your audience. Sounds like they did pretty good.

There are plenty of asian looking depictions and black guy ones of jesus and if anything it shows you jesus was all colors. And since there are women in this world too its not just men but women who can argue its sexist to be son of god what about daughter of god? Jesus is human form black white colorless since you can get pale or tan in the sun. Its not that hard.
    Not once was it trying to divide and the notion was always 'mankind' thats unifiying!
    Funnily enough the virgin mary being more celebrated / as celebrated as jesus! So they did need to bring in babies and a virgin no less. I mean the story is straight from a constantine brainstorm meeting. " i know we can put crosses on our shields too"

Also this idea of 'better than' or 'superior' can be presumed by the onlooker and outsider but help me to find religion that isnt self serving? If we are going to take the idea of "you can argue" well sure I can say circles have edges but "we are better" but its usually "better" because I know and "believe" and you don't so you are screwed. Its not to do with race but then yeah the person looks different that tribal part comes in easily. Easy to tell if someone is or isnt a certain color yeah an easy distinction.

"Being better" seems to be inherit in most religion. Part of the grand flaw. Just like its not always race ..its not always 'superior' thought that some imagery resemble the believers and those that promoted it. You have to hand it to those italian dudes ...bought in ..and here we are 1500 years later. Making facebook and nike look like childs play. Its not racist to have a soul glo commercial or bet channel
    And im a ford truck man thats all i buy its called marketing

B@ffled and jiggyfly like this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Depicting a Blue-eyed Jesus when historical evidence shows he would have been Brown-skinned, with black or brown eyes is "white-washing" history...at best, racist atleast.

No Worries likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So Black Jesus is racist as well?

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Closer to truth than "blue-eyed Jesus". Black Jesus is just an artist interpretation. No one has built religions based on it.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No one built a religion on white Jesus. Why would 500 b.c. Romans have a black Jesus. Why would 16th century Europeans have one? Those people had no idea what Jesus would look like

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not really sure what you're asking me here?

I said that yes a white Jesus is technically racist. I mean if I believe that a divine being is in the image not of all of humanity but racially like me that pretty much is saying that my race is superior, especially in the case of Jesus where historical Jesus came from a region and people that wouldn't have looked like a Northern European. That said I'm not going to get worked up about it because plenty of groups have depicted Jesus in their own image and also because I don't believe in the divinity of Jesus. There has been a lot of great art depicting Jesus narrowly and I can appreciate those even though there is a sense of racial superiority behind them just like I can appreciate Wagner even though he was a white supremacist.

Also what does the depiction of Jesus have to do with garage door handles, emancipation statues or George Floyd? I'm not really sure what you're talking about. You are conflating a lot of subjects.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I drove by a white stone Buddha statue between Friendswood and Alvin. Very conflicted feelings.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

former college professor and BLM activist arrested after vandalizing a statue of Lincoln, is injured during the arrest:

https://www.idahopress.com/news/loc...cle_095272cb-6adc-5422-ad94-f0f9e73b924d.html

excerpt:

Black Lives Matter activist charged with vandalism injured during arrest
    BOISE — Boise Police Department officers on Tuesday arrested Terry Wilson, 37, an organizer with Black Lives Matter Boise and former Boise State University adjunct professor, after police said they believed him to be involved in the vandalism of an Abraham Lincoln statue in Julia Davis Park.

The statue, called “Seated Lincoln,” was defaced with red chalk paint on Feb. 1, the first day of Black History Month. The chalk paint — meant to signify blood — was not permanent, and the statue sustained no permanent damage. Feces and signs were also left around the statue, but activists who organized the protests previously told the Idaho Press they had no involvement with the feces left at the scene.

Wilson was injured in an altercation with police after an officer approached him on Tuesday with an arrest warrant for a misdemeanor vandalism charge. Police said Wilson fled inside a residence and resisted arrest.
    more at the link

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you put a black face on white jesus statue, does two wrongs make a right?

13. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Why is Jesus considered fictional by some when early forms of bibles, considered historical documentation, state his existence?

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What?

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Three lefts make a right

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Expect more riots and violence as basic rights like voting become more and more suprressed. They s type of revolt is something our founders would be proud of. Taxation without representation is dem fighting words.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Conservatives think too highly of themselves

18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Can’t we at least agree that Jesus had a pretty good tan?

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The earliest “bibles” were almost 400 years after. The earliest gospels were 40+ years after. There were also multiple competing Christ figures during late antiquity. There were some “early church” leaders who argued and wrote that Jesus wasn’t a real person but a symbol (they lost and were ousted). Also “historical documentation” had a creative relationship to facts for centuries...wasn’t really until the Enlightenment that accuracy became much more important than good story telling.

I’m not arguing against historical Jesus, btw, just answering the question of why some would question. Most scholars think there was an historical figure of some sort.

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There are no boundaries for what clutch fans can teach you