1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 28, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. mario_v

mario_v Member

Looks like they’re trading for Watson.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The Dolphins will have a lot of young talent for the next several years. That's a very nice place to build from.

Texans went for "win now" with the Tunsil trade and now we regret it... This is the problem with handing GM duties to a head coach who is under pressure to win now... and of course, now Bill O'Brien isn't here to suffer through his wreckage. Incentive misalignment.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No....they are not. They traded #3 to SF. If they were going to trade for Watson, they needed that Top 4 pick.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Wow two massive trades for the Dolphins.

I remember thinking after they traded Tunsil and Minkah Fitzpatrick why would you want to trade young talent when you just have to find it again? Well when you get a ****ton of picks from idiots like BOB you can rebuild quickly.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

And they won’t do much with that qb there. Tua just doesn’t pass the eye test for me

Rudyc281 and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I wouldn’t say that’s necessarily true. Not saying they are gearing up for a Watson trade but they have different type of ammo now to use now. What’s more attractive to caserio as part of the deshaun package:

1) #3 overall
    2) #6 overall pick plus a future first?

you could make a case for either and there could have been dialogue by caserio that option 2 is what he prefers as the main part of the trade package

8. mario_v

mario_v Member

That’s a lot of picks.

#188 mario_v, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I have a feeling the Fish may be going for R Wilson, Watson would be a better fit but with everything going on with D4, Wilson could be in play. As a Fins fan I can say Tua stunk it up, but the injury could have been worse then expected

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes..it is. However, Texans would want a top 3 pick to get a QB (Wilson).

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Odd that the fins traded back up to #6.
    I wonder if they're anticipating Trey Lance or Justin Fields to fall to there?

If they were amassing Deshaun draft capital I don't think they make that last trade.
    Unless of course (this is a nightmare scenario) they have already agreed to a Watson deal which won't be announced for some time and Easter....err...I mean Caserio told them "I want Mac Jones" and they know they can get him there.

Man I hope not!!!

12. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Why did they trade away the 3rd pick for 6th pick? Don’t make sense to me

13. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Because they still come out of it with an extra 1st rounder!

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not necessarily...and I got a hunch that Mac Jones is our target and will be able to get him at 6 before panthers pick at 8.

15. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

This has been my fear for awhile now.
    I have long feared that even if we got the #2 overall pick in a trade with the jets Cal-Easterby wouldn't want a face of the franchise that wears the funny underwear (see in anyone can decipher that one) so they wouldn't take Wilson there.

Or at #3 myself I would take Trey Lance there and if you hit it will be big.
    If they had the number 3 pick and picked Mac Jones there over Trey Lance there would be an uproar.
    You see although Lance like Jones checks most of the Cal-Easterby boxes (solid citizen, christian) there's one box Lance DOESN'T check that Jones does!
    And this scenario would be one way to save the criticism from it.

Again this is nothing more than pure speculation.
    I hope this is not the case, not only from a football point but from a moral one as well.
    I try to look for the best in everyone.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Y’all still talking Deshaun trades? Get back to scouting third round prospects. :)

Rudyc281 and conquistador#11 like this.
  17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

But what are the chances they draft someone as good as Tunsil or Fitzpatrick? They may get some depth or even some solid starters but actual pro bowl level talent is hard to come by.
    But I guess time will tell.

18. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Texans mock draft: How GM Nick Caserio can improve draft capital without Deshaun Watson trade [The Athletic]
    Aaron Reiss

A Deshaun Watson trade once appeared to be the Texans’ path back into the first two rounds of the 2021 NFL Draft, but 16 civil lawsuits accusing the quarterback of sexual assault now make it doubtful any deal happens soon.

Even though the Texans might no longer be one of the most intriguing teams in this year’s draft, they might still be one of the most active. New general manager Nick Caserio already has signed more than 30 free agents and traded for another four, many of whom join the team on short-term contracts that give Caserio the chance to turn over most of the roster twice in a two-year span. Come draft time, expect Caserio to seek out opportunities to trade down and add to the limited draft capital he inherited.

In my first Texans mock draft of the offseason, I used Pro Football Focus’ draft simulator to identify and execute a pair of realistic trades. I also mulled over quite a few more. Despite the movement, Houston still has plenty of holes on its roster, but this is what a first draft for Caserio might look like, based on the Texans’ needs and the way the new GM has operated so far:

Trade: Texans trade pick No. 67 to Bengals for picks Nos. 69 and 188

Round 3, Pick 69: LSU WR Terrace Marshall Jr.

I made this same pick in The Athletic’s most recent beat writer mock draft. This time, I move down a couple of spots, add a sixth-round pick and still land Marshall. The Texans are in need of more help on defense, but aside from left tackle, this roster isn’t set for the future at any spot. And by the third round, the Texans can’t draft for need. Grabbing Marshall this low would be a strong value pick for the Texans. At 6-foot-3, Marshall is a big receiver with a large catch radius, something Houston has lacked in its offense. He would contend for immediate playing time. As it stands, Brandin Cooks and recent free agent pickup Chris Conley are the team’s top outside receivers, with Randall Cobb and Keke Coutee in the slot.

Round 4, Pick 109: UAB Edge Jordan Smith

This class lacks top-end edge rusher talent but features quality depth at the position that could come off the board between picks Nos. 50-100, according The Athletic’s Dane Brugler. That’s where prospects like Smith come in. Scouting reports praise his advanced hand work and impressive bend for his size (6-7, 255), but he needs to add strength to that frame. He’s a high-ceiling project, which is the sort of prospect the Texans should be targeting in the middle rounds, especially in the first year of a rebuild.

Round 5, Pick 158: Ohio State C Josh Meyers

The Texans already have made a lot of changes to their offensive line through free agency, especially along the interior, but many of the players they’ve acquired are on one- or two-year deals, and most project to be backups. Meyers, a two-year starting center at Ohio State who has the size (6-6, 312) to move to guard, wouldn’t have to contribute right away but could optimistically start in 2022 or 2023.

The Texans currently have just three drafted offensive linemen who are on rookie contracts: right tackle Tytus Howard and guards Max Scharping and Hjalte Froholdt. Scharping was in-and-out of the lineup last season, and Froholdt is a waiver claim who came from New England. That’s not much of a young, inexpensive core.

Round 6, Pick 188: Arkansas QB Feleipe Franks

Assuming the Texans don’t trade Watson before the draft, they probably won’t find a new franchise QB this offseason. Still, it would be smart to draft a developmental quarterback. Franks could back up potential starter Tyrod Taylor, and though in the short-term he might be worse for the job than Ryan Finley, the other QB who is currently on the roster, who cares? The Texans aren’t shooting for a playoff spot in 2021, so they should be focused on upside.

In eight games, Finley has completed 48.7 percent of his passes and averaged 5.4 yards per attempt. He is not the long-term answer. Franks probably isn’t either, but he’s worth the flier.

Franks spent three seasons at Florida before transferring within the SEC to Arkansas. In his final collegiate season, he averaged 8.9 yards per attempt and threw 17 touchdowns to four interceptions, but he’s unable to pick up yardage with his legs.

Round 6, Pick 195: Central Arkansas CB Robert Rochell

The Texans have added new pieces to the top of their cornerback depth chart in Terrance Mitchell and Desmond King, but they’re arriving on two- and one-year deals, respectively. And even in the short-term, this position group lacks depth. That was a clear issue last season, when Gareon Conley spent the year on IR and Bradley Roby missed the final five games because of a suspension for PED usage.

Like Smith, the fourth-round pick in this mock draft, Rochell is a project worth gambling on. He came to Central Arkansas as a 160-pound receiver, but as an outside corner, he broke up 38 passes and intercepted 10. He’s now 6-0, 193 pounds. The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman included him in his 2020 college football freaks list.

Brugler ranks him as CB13, with this scouting report: “Overall, Rochell is a top-tier athlete and plays with the length and ball skills that NFL coaches covet, but whether he lives up to his NFL starting-level upside comes down to the development of his technique and discipline.”

Trade: Texans trade pick No. 203 to Carolina Panthers for 2022 sixth- and seventh-round picks

Round 7, Pick 212: Missouri RB Larry Rountree

Round 7, Pick 233: Colorado DL Mustafa Johnson

Caserio has already traded seventh-round picks for Finley and tight end Ryan Izzo. Trading a sixth-round selection here to acquire two future picks gives him more resources to make similar moves.

With the remaining picks in this draft, Caserio adds a defensive lineman in Johnson and a possible down-the-line answer at running back in Rountree. The Texans currently have a crowded backfield with David Johnson, Mark Ingram and Phillip Lindsay, but the first two will finish the season on the wrong side of 30, and all three are on contracts that expire after this season.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Fields with a 4.44 40 time. I remember talking to someone here saying he wasn’t going to run that fast and was more passer than athlete.

20. conquistador#11

How it started:

How it's going : So yeah, who are some 2nd round qbs that could drop into the 3rd or 4th round?

gucci888 and cmoak1982 like this.