1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo to Miami

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 25, 2021.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What’s perplexing to me is not getting value for Olynk and Bradley. They aren’t Dante Exum-style empty expiring contracts — they’re actually semi-useful veteran role players.

Javale McGee was worth two 2nd rounders. Rondo cost the Clippers Lou Williams and a pair of 2nd rounders. By waiting till the last minute, Stone lost the ability to re-route them.

I’m also shocked Ben McLemore and Shannon Brown are still on this team. No way they’re back next year, and I’m shocked you couldn’t get a 2nd for one of them.

2. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I understand “doing right” by the player if they have an agent with a huge client list but I looked up VO’s agent. The list isn’t impressive, I don’t see how he can repay the favor. We just have to take the L

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Why does a star want out of HOU or a free agent not want to come here.

Harden leaves. (owner / failing expectations)
    Russ Leaves. (owner / incompatibility )
    Oladipo traded; but wanted out. (he was traded here, so it wasn't his choice to begin with, kept it professional in the media. didn't bad mouth the city)

Players who don't want to come here:
    Aaron Gordon
    Jimmy Butler

Since we traded with Miami we can use them as a quick compare. Both Butler and Dipo preferred MIA over HOU.

Not in Rockets Org control:
    [+] No state income taxes. (FL and Tx a tie)
    [-] Nightlife; will give the adv to MIA, but depends on the players.
    [+] Above average NBA market (MIA / HOU both)
    [0] Outside business interest (Lebron with hollywood, Durant with tech: GS/BK). Put that as a wash for now.

Within Rockets Org control
    [-] Reputable staff for injury recovery (MIA/PHX?). Edge goes to MIA, is ours average?
    [ ] How is our support staff. Shooting coaches?
    [ ] How is out facility comparing to other teams.
    [o] Going to a winning (losing team). MIA is contending, but they're really bad this year. Dipo still wanted to go because it beats being on a rebuild team, which the coach/GM gave him a greenlight, not team's fault if he's not successful at it.
    [x] Owner not spending to save lux tax savings on a rebuild (has a case), but also didn't spend (as much) when contending.

Outside an owner change and hoping we get lucky in the draft, are there anything the org can self improve in this rebuild phase? Are there areas of improvement, including reputation, so when a free agent or a players under contract (can list preferred destinations), Rockets might show up on the list.

Ironically, Wall seems to be ok with being here. o_O

#603 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

Stone should learn from this. If the offer was that bad, He should have dealt Dipo to another team like the day before. The return would have been better or the same; if the same at least, that would have send a message to Riley (and other GMs) for playing chicken.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Bobo, the clown, could have done a better job owning and managing the Rockets.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. raining threes

So you're saying they couldn't have gotten more from trading Allen/Lavert than they would have trading Dipo? I dont believe this at all. You think a team like the Celtics wouldn't have given more for Allen as a rental than what they got for Dipo? The Heat probably would've given up more for Lavert and his contract than what they gave for Dipo.

jiggyfly, BallSoHarden and PolarBear like this.
  8. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Of course they would have. Continuing to make baseless claims like "we got a good deal for them" or "we didn't want to pay money to Allen" has nothing to do with the fact that both were far more valuable than what we traded them for in the open market.

Dipo being deadset on Miami was an open secret. At the time of the trade it was reported he was unhappy with houston and wanted to go to the heat. No one screwed this front office. They're just incompetent buffoons in over their head.

csnerd84 likes this.
  9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Precisely, hopefully this is a tough lesson for our rookie GM. He thought he had a stronger hand and likely lost an additional mid/late first round pick due to his over confidence.

Riley’s been in the game since Stone was in diapers, and today that inexperience showed.

10. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I would have just kept him out of spite at that point...

11. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

This trade is so bad, that no one even remembers to be upset that we didn’t trade any of House, McLemore, and Brown.

Brown in particular, should have at least netted us a SRP or two. Now, he likely walks in FA for nothing.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Sorry. Just thought if the options were Avery Bradley and Kelly olynyk vs lavert and his contract.. I would take the latter...

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I have never said it was some great deal. I said it a gamble play, and I can understand why Stone opted for that gamble. It didn't work out, but my position has always been it was a gamble worth the risk and won't dramatically affect the franchise's future rebuilding.

My main question is why is everyone so adamant that LeVert (which was the key part of getting Dipo) would have gotten great returns on the trade market at deadline?

Trading Allen got the Bucks No. 1 pick. So basically, you think the Celtics who have not budged on trading its assets for anyone of note over the past few years would have given up more for a 3 month rental? All they gave up for Fournier was two 2nds.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Absolute trash

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wow.

This was a crappy trade, so crappy I wish they would have just kept him instead of looking like simps for Miami.

The pick swap makes it look extra desperate.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

fans are having full blown meltdowns

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Damn, Let's hope for 8th seed Miami next year then

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think the problem is nobody actually wanted to pay anything but garbage for Dipo, or were simply not interested. There was no other teams to get leverage over Miami.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

I’d recommend people don’t get their hopes up about Tilman doing anything positive in a basketball sense.