1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

President Biden's first press conference

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Mar 25, 2021.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Neither am I. FDR was in a wheel chair. Reagan was in serious decline his last few yeard. He’s not an American president but Churchill was not a poster child for youth and health. Lots of old Fcks have been world leaders before and had great success. Even in severe decline.

I didn’t see the presser because I was in deep in the trade deadline and pulling my hair out about it... but I’ve seen Biden for some time and hes always sort of come in and out of high level intelligence and then off the cuff blabbering. But it’s never dangerous and Ill mannered so it is what it is. You also have to understand how old the electorate is. Most older people probably relate to the way he talks more than you’d think.

Either way ... yeah Ron Klain seems to have his hands on the steering wheel pretty tight and I think that’s a big reason why things have gone mostly sharp. If your a Democrat who knows Ron Klain you are probably very happy to know he’s guiding the ship as the chief of staff. Also historically there have been many presidencies where the COS have had this higher level of control. It’s not necessarily a bad thing if they are in line with what the candidate ran on.... which he is 100%. So not sure what the problem is here as long as the agenda is in line with what was campaigned on and the president still at least can perform the pageantry duties of his office.

Rileydog likes this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He was honest about not being transparent regarding the border challenge. Many politicians would have lied.

tinman and B-Bob like this.
  3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

trump would have said I am the most transparent president in history.

4. astros123

astros123 Member

Your average American doesnt give a **** whos running the show as long as there is progress and stuff is getting done. What was Trump able to do by himself when he was "running" it. His entire DOJ was a disaster and they got embarrassed in court time after time. The DACA lawsuit in front of the Supreme court they completely butchered alongside numerous other DOJ cases. People dont realize just how incompetent his administration was from top to bottom. When Trump mentioned an infrastructure bill to the Senate he got laughed at and MItch told him there was no appetite for a deficit infrastructure bill. I can literally go on and on about how big of a failure and incompetent his entire administration was from top to bottom.

Americans dont give a **** if BIden is mumbling or sleeping. They want results and thats all they care about. We are about to have the biggest infrastructure in US history that will produce millions of union jobs around the nation. People dont realize how blazing hot this economy will be in the next 4 years and BIden will get all the credit for it just like Trump took all the credit for Obama's economy. Thats politics for you.

The thing that the gop turds cant fully grasp is just how good the economy will be in a few years. For the first time in over 20 years the majority of Americans think we're on the right track. No one here gives a **** about BIden cognitive thinking other then the trump turds who are obsessed with Dr seus and culture wars.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It could be another Cheney at the helm. Jeebus helps us all.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man I’m here for the smart people on the D&D which are fewer than the basketball section
    And thank goodness the 99ers post here because they are an infinity pool of real knowledge about the real world.

like I always said , if a large group of Clutchfans jumped off a cliff, it wouldn’t be the 99ers

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I didn't watch the press conference. But I did read the transcript, today. Link below.

@Space Ghost The idea that he's CERTAINLY isn't running at 100% - true and who cares really. Of course, he's not what he used to be. Everyone degrades over time, so that's a weird baseline to even judge on. It's one where literally everyone is the same way. The more important question is he in command of himself, the executive branch and is running the country. He is.

I had one basic question yesterday - did he have answers to questions. The answer to that is YES. He had answers with facts and reasons to back them up. FACTS + REASONS, something that has been missing for almost all of the past 4 years.

My readings...

On the filibuster - Biden made it clear. He's for going back to the tradition of the "talking filibuster", ending the abusive use of it. But he also said, if that doesn't do it, he's up for more changes. He simply is saying the filibuster is not going to get in his way to get things done for America.

On immigration, he is throwing resources at getting kids out of the camps and safely. It wasn't a priority until recently (as he prioritizes covid and economy first). He doesn't apologize for being humane but also articulated that it's not him being a nice guy, as @Commodore and other think that's the reason for the recent surge. It's mostly seasonal with a long-term issue of stability in those regions. I think he has a good handle on understanding the problems. But as we all know, this is a problem of decades and no one is going to solve it overnight.

Pure research and investment in science. He wants to get back to 2% of GDP invsetment in those area - level in the 60s. Today, it's 0.7%. Needs to to be competitive long term against China and others. Very happy to hear of this goal.

There is a theme of Democracy vs Autocracy. He believes history will be written about this period about that. That's what is at stake worldwide (and even domestically). Democracy must win.

Infrastructure with good paying job and to rebuild America in a better way - taking climate and environment seriously. His next big focus.

He thinks, from polling, that Republican voters (not politicians) are with him. He intends to work for them and all American.

ps. the conference is over 1 hr long. You can read the transcript in 10-15min.

President Joe Biden First White House Press Conference Transcript March 25 - Rev

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Heh... this seems to have been a major criticism of Biden's first press conference (suspect to play to fears he is too old and carefully managed). I worked in corporate communications in the technology industry, and what is on the lectern is called a "briefing book" that (gasp!) contains the names and pictures of people that would ask questions. And usually contains examples of past questions and articles/reports written.

I suspect since it was Biden's first live press conference his communications team prepared the document so he could (gasp!) call on reporters by name. And have a good idea what they may ask. Probably better to have a president point to people ("you, over there"), then snarl at them for being stupid.

I know... sounds so unreasonable. Evil even. Scary.

Blatz likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

btw...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

jo mama and astros123 like this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It was absolutely a smart move by biden to have notes and pre-screened questions. He will get more used to this format and improve going forward. Do you think fox news will get to ask Joe a question? I know Jen Psaki has been doing a good job calling on doocy during her communications.

11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so basically you're condoning and saying there's nothing wrong with it? Softball Q's only right....

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It’s not that hard to predict what questions will be asked. Yesterday, there was no curve ball at all. The media is quite predictable.

There is nothing wrong with doing your homework and being prepared. It’s call doing your job well.

People like to invent conspiracy theory where there is none - a favorite past time of today culture on the right.

mdrowe00 and jiggyfly like this.
  13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

uhhh... hmmm.... OKAY, oh sorry

14. NewRoxFan

Questions asked are mostly controlled by the press. Most have criticized the press for not asking about COVID-19, but seems to me Biden began with a discussion about COVID-19, the government response, and progress made. So maybe the press focused on other topics where they could get a soundbite or possible controversy.

So don't know what the complaint is. What questions did you think should have been asked?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Pretty much agree with both points. And yes, I think fox news will get to ask questions. And fox should get to ask questions. Not sure if it was a message being sent by the Biden communications team. It does seem that doocy gets to ask lots of questions in the daily press briefings and usually his questions seem ill-prepared gotcha attempts. Seems fox should put better reporters on the white house beat (iIknow they employ better reporters).

16. dobro1229

Yeah I don't watch the press briefings daily, but every one i've seen, Fox has been one of the first to get a question. I've seen a couple scrums too with the press during meetings etc. where Biden went right to Doocy, and even said "i like your questions, etc" in jest.

I don't think Biden and Psaki really have anything to gain by avoiding their questions, and they are smart enough to know that. Because 99% of the coverage on FoxNews is about stuff like Dr. Seuess, and Colin Kapernick, and some other nonsense about Biden being old etc. So if a FoxNews host tries to throw red meat out there for their base, it's likely to backfire and Biden's press team knows this. FoxNews' playbook works better with rumor, and intrigue. When you actually provide dialog and answers to their conspiratorial nonsense, it blows up the intrigue.

If Fox or OAN get a question and actually ask something substantive like immigration, etc. I think Biden and Psaki can handle that, and make sure to address when a question is loaded IE something like "Mr. Biden, shouldn't you give credit to President Trump for Project Warpspeed"... you then prepare Biden with the data to show the difference. So if it's a loaded question, but still substantive, Biden and Psaki still come out fine. The only risk in taking a Fox or OAN question is if it's a Dr. Seuss type of question, and Biden stupidly takes the bait on something dumb like that.

17. dobro1229

Plainly put.... Press conferences are a hell of alot easier to deal with when the facts are on your side, and you aren't constantly getting caught in lies. If the Biden team continues to focus on policy issues, I don't think you'll see alot of really intriguing press conferences where Biden gets in a shouting match with Doocy calling him names etc. like Trump did.

mdrowe00 and jiggyfly like this.
  18. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...I can think of a few.

1. How does it feel to be the first president of the United States that got elected by extraterrestrials?
    2. Where, exactly, do you bury the bodies of the babies you DON'T rape or serve sauteed with a mild charton brisque?
    3. Can you inform Hugo Chavez that we're on to him, and he better not try anything like messing with our elections again?
    4. How many licks DOES it take to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie-roll pop?
    ...some of the American public are dying (or, rather, are killing) to know the answers to these...;)

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry I missed it.
    How many times did he praise himself as the best?
    How many words did he make up?
    How many people did he insult and call names?
    How many racists dog whistles did he blow?
    How many times did he say the "china virus" is a hoax and would go away?
    Did he suggest we inject bleach or light into our bodies to kill the virus?

ROCKSS likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member