1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The glass-half-full take on the Oladipo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mightybosstone, Mar 25, 2021.

1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I'm legit asking because I'm starting to think I missed something. Why does everyone keep on bringing up Allen as part of this?

Those were basically two independent trades right?

We chose the 2021 Bucks first rounder over paying Allen in the summer (or trying to trade him later) and paying 10mm this year and next to Prince.

We chose Oladipo over Levert.

If you think both decisions were wrong, that's cool. But only one has any relevance to the Oladipo return, right?

joshuaao, pr0wler and rkh-dog like this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

What do you guys think the market is for a guy with that contract, those knees and with reports he is going to need more surgery soon? I don't think anybody needs to worry about Wall playing too many minutes at this point.

3. mightybosstone

Yeah, I know it reads as hypocritical, but I addressed this in another post. I don't think Oladipo alone is a good enough player to make Miami 3-5 wins better over the rest of the season. Anyone who's watched the Rockets since Jan. 18 can attest to this. I do think Miami could be a little better as a result of factors that include Dipo, but that trade alone isn't going to be the thing that pushes the Heat from the 17th pick to the 25th. It will take Butler being healthy, Robinson and Herro actually hitting shots, and the offense not being complete garbage.

rkh-dog likes this.
  4. Rockets4Life13

technically, it's right yes, they were seperate trades. I thought the the Allen trade was a bad decision, i didn't hate the Oladipo trade at the time, i just wish it was just a bit more thought through.

I feel like they saw a big name and just went with it, not really thinking about it.

pr0wler likes this.
  5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

That’s called almost empty round here

upload_2021-3-25_20-3-45.jpeg

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'd much rather have a 2nd than that swap because you can't trade a Swap. We could package that 2nd with other picks for a more significant move up. We really got nothing from this trade and that's ok if, like me, you just wanted him gone but at least be honest about it. We traded Oladipo for nothing and that'd be ok if he wasn't part of the Harden trade. It might have been better to just straight up cut him cause at least the front office doesn't look stupid.

7. mightybosstone

It's the GARM. When they win, everyone b****es. When they lose, everyone b****es. When a trade happens, everyone b****es. Hence the reason for the thread. Just trying to play devil's advocate to all that negativity.

rkh-dog and sirjesse like this.
  8. mightybosstone

A late 2nd rounder doesn't help you do much of anything. And we can completely agree to disagree that cutting him wouldn't have made the front office look stupid. Cutting Oladipo or buying him out would have been a complete disaster.

rkh-dog likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why you need to bet on that though is my point. Nobody is forcing you to take that trade and make that risk. We dont know if Dipo is good or bad but we know whatever he is its better than Olyknk and Bradley. If Dipo sucks then Heat dont resign him so their swap will be lower. You lose either way.

If thats the only offer better to just keep Dipo around and hope for a SnT. Worst case let him walk in FA to the heat you dont do Riley a solid and possibly make your pick worse.

10. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

i do appreciate your efforts. I need all the good blues music and old highlight videos I can get.

mightybosstone likes this.
  11. mightybosstone

True, but there's only a 48% chance right now that we get Miami's pick. But there's a 100% chance we'd get it next year if it's better than Houston's or Brooklyn's. So, yeah, there could be a net negative here, but there's a 52% chance it'll be a moot point anyway.

Again, I'm not saying I love this deal or even like it. But I like the odds that it gives Houston a better overall chance at having better draft picks between this year and next.

12. s3ts

s3ts Member

You can't discuss Oladipo's trade without talking about the chain of trades that followed. That's the entire point about why this sucks.

Nobody gives a damn about Oladipo. That's not the problem here. The problem is ultimately where the chain of trades brought us.

Now we have to build value from scratch and the pick that landed us Steve Francis -> T-Mac -> Kevin Martin -> Harden -> Oladipo and it ends with Avery Bradley and Olynyk...

I honestly don't see the stock of Bradley and Olynyk going up to net us anything better in any potential future trade. If you do, good for you.

HP3 likes this.
  13. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

In the hypothetical value chart moving from 28 to 20 or whatever is definitely much better than a late second. And the swap conveys next year so it's not like we're waiting forever.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Allen Trade is a good decision as that not only save the Rox 30M, got them a FRP that also made the Cavs run out of space and put KPJ's locker in the back.

If that trade didnt happen KPJ would still be on the Cavs. He is the only good player from the Harden trade so far so Allen getting traded is def a great move.

Anybody who says otherwise is just wrong esp since dude is expiring and about to get paid. Allen js like a poor man's Capela but he about to be paid like Capela cmon now.

pr0wler and ChillyPete32 like this.
  15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Yeah but imagine if this year for example we have the Portland and Mil pick and we really like a guy in the lottery. You can throw a 2nd with those to move up but you can't throw in that Heat swap. The 2nd is a more flexible asset because it's something we can package with other things.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

The late 2nd is guaranteed the swap may or may not be used. Add in the fact that Dipo makes the upcoming Miami pick worse then its def inferior to a 2nd rounder.

17. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Do you not agree that the Rox would have taken better offers for LeVert/Allen if they were given in the open market at that time? Rox got a first rounder and Oladipo, who is a better player than LeVert. Oladipo demanded Heat, which ruined any trade value in the open market, with his expiring rental contract. Hate the player not the team.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m a little confused here, did you gain a pick or right to swap?
    They’re probably going to have a better record than the Rockets, why would we swap our top 10 for their potential bottom 10?

19. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Oladipo was a piece of the Harden trade, those that were upset with the Harden trade but waited to voice their opinion to see what materialized now see that Oladipo was worthless. The emotions are there because we are starting to see what the Harden trade actually netted us, and it is pretty awful when you look at the complete picture of what we moved for Harden and then to get Oladipo. If you are only looking at what we got in return for Oladipo sure it is expected, but what did we just give up to get Oladipo a couple of months ago? That is what is a complete joke and why we shouldn't have faith in the front office.

joshuaao likes this.
  20. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I like your thoughts, and while it's retrospect, I think the biggest frustration we've had throughout the day is knowing that even if the Rockets didn't consider Caris or Jarett Allen part of the long term future, we could have gotten a heck of a lot more today unloading them than Oladipo. But those are separate deals and that part is in the past. Well thought out post, though, post more threads!

Edit: Reading through the thread, I'm unclear if Allen was ever on the table for us in the first place, but my understanding is we essentially swapped him for another pick. I guess maybe that was the most value he'd have, I don't know, it's all a bit blurry to me.

#40 rocketfan21, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021