1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Sources: Houston Rockets progressing in talks to trade Victor Oladipo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 23, 2021.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Woj: Mid-first and young player ...

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

sooo.... yeh... i'm callin bulls**t...

smh...

3. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

With the Oladip now traded to Heat for nothing, does this mean that Woj got played? We didn't have any good deals on the table and we kept saying we have a deal in place

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It's possible the Rockets had a deal in place that fell apart while they were waiting for Duncan Robinson to appear or for Lowry to go to Miami.

Something went seriously wrong today. Masai is the master of all this. Dude just held up the market for a guy he didn't trade.

One of the most lopsided trades in history without needing to play a single game to know.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Should have taken one those "offers":

6. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Instead we got 2 expiring contracts and a pick swap, for a former all star, wow!

7. mightybosstone

OK, I get that everyone is a little disappointed in how today went down, but this feels like a bit much. At 2 p.m., we had posters desperate to get him off the roster who would have gladly taken an expiring and a 2nd rounder. Then an actual trade happens, and they improve their first round pick next year, and this is one of the most lopsided deals in the history of the sport? C'mon now.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

That was more of a formality.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Calvin Murphy is a former all star too, what do you think his trade value is today?

Oladipo is absolute trash and it was a buyer's market. The Rockets are lucky to have found a landfill to take him at all.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

That's nice.

I'm glad we had posters who wanted him off the roster.

I didn't care.

I wanted value.

They got none.

It's a swap. The Nets could be worse than the Heat. Nothing is a given.

The pick this year gets worse.

In fact. Higher chance the Heat pick goes to the Rockets this year than next.

Worst.

trade.

ever.

joshuaao and Boston84 like this.
  11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I think we should just stick to facts and not try to spin and look for excuses. The trade today was terrible, I dont think the market for Oladipo was that bad...should have atleast saved face, kept him and if needed played him from the bench

Hank McDowell likes this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'm spinning for Woj not the team.

The team ****ed up.

ElPigto, Boston84 and Amel like this.
  13. mightybosstone

I'm posting a thread here in a minute that will hopefully address all of this, but suffice it to say I disagree with this take.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, that's what would have been the case had they failed to dump Dipo at all.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

you have bad takes in general. this isn't an outlier.

HP3 likes this.
  16. forchette49

Calvin is long retired, they got caught in musical chairs without a seat is what happened. They put too many eggs into the "Dipo will change his mind and want to remain in Houston" basket, rookie GM move.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Please. You are the one going crazy with the nuclear hot take throwing an outright tantrum because you are upset the Rockets didn't get back more when they dumped an absolutely terrible player.

I'm embarrassed for you.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. The mistake was taking him on to begin with, not in dumping him. My point was that just because he can be called a "former all star" doesn't mean he's even a decent player. He's terrible, and the Rockets screwed up when they picked him up, but they fixed that error by dumping him on Miami. The return for dumping a terrible player is never going to be impressive especially in a buyer's market.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Said this earlier, but if you are actually getting great offers, you don't leak to the press what great offers you are getting - you take the offers.

This is like the used car salesman talking about how another couple was on the lot earlier today, and if you don't make a deal now, it might no be here when you come back.

They were trying to create a market that didn't exist. They kept on hoping against hope that a decent offer would come up right until the last second, until they had no option.

Looks to me like Woj was used in a pretty transparent attempt to try and generate some competitive bidding where none existed.

I'm guessing nobody outside of Miami was even seriously looking to pull the trigger.

Kim, D-rock, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  20. forchette49

I'm not entirely convinced, I truly believe Stone was naive enough on this one to think Dipo wanted to be a part of a rebuild. Riley was nice enough to give him a pick swap for his Bird rights in the end.