1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo to Miami

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 25, 2021.

1. VoR

VoR Member

Silver: You do this deal, we guarantee top three in the draft,

Tilman: Do these tanks come in baby blue?

studogg and varughese.arun like this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

None of that matters; they shouldn’t have traded fir him in the first place if they couldn’t move him fir a 1st round pick.

D-rock, kevtse, ak99999 and 2 others like this.
  3. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Exactly. A fair trade or nothing.
    Now we are a joke.

D-rock and ak99999 like this.
  4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The knock on effect of the Westbrook pick swap (lack of) protection means that the success of this and the Harden trade weirdly comes down to if we win the lotto or not.

Said otherwise, if we land a top 4 pick, the tanking/lack of immediate impact talent will have been worth a move from a mid 20s pick (MiamI) to a high lotto pick. Whether that player is as good as Simmons is to be seen, but it certainly bridges the gap from the ~8 picks and swaps to the 2-3 (or fewer) the 6ers would have given with Simmons.

On the other hand, if our pick conveys as #5 or 6 to OKC and we have no meaningful pieces to show for it... ouch.

Our two most promising pieces came via quite a bit of dumb luck. Imagine how depressing this team would be without Wood or Porter?

5. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Stone took a gamble, and it came up empty. Ultimately we get what we want - time for KPJ and clearer path to top 4 pick.

mightybosstone and ak99999 like this.
  6. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

This is stupid. We gave him away for nothing. To save 1.7 million. We have become the Kings. Doesn't feel very good. Now we have Wall making 40 plus million the next two years. This sucks.

D-rock, Bo6, kevtse and 2 others like this.
  7. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Look on the bright side, we will likely trade Wall sometime before his contract is up for nothing and give whichever team takes him a couple draft picks to do it.

treyk3 likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The Kings got the more qualified front office member from the Rockets. We got the lawyer who was gifted the job despite no qualifications because he helped close the deal to sell the team to Tilman.

The Rockets deserve to fall out of the top 4. Poorly ran organizations don't deserve players like Cade Cunningham or Evan Mobley.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

We essentially got very little for a superstar. I'm talking about Harden. ****ing Tillman hell bent on destroying my favorite sports franchise. The day he sell the Rockets is the day I might return to Houston. Haha.

BHannes2BHonest, D-rock and Jontro like this.
  10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Bullshit. I won't watch this team anymore

11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It's funny cause the deadline passed with no news of him being traded and I was having a mini panic attack. Then the news came and I was so relieved that he's just not here anymore that I don't even care that we got nothing for him. Looking back though, we really did get nothing.

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It would have been a similar situation to what happened in the Robert Horry for Sean Elliott trade.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

DVauthrin and ThatBoyNick like this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Once cut, the contract is over and those two bonuses vanish with it.

15. raining threes

Plenty of teams like guys that can put the ball in the basket and bigs that have well rounded games.

16. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

When will exum be healthy? Our new hope is a benchmob led by exum/olynyk/kj

We got this!!!

17. Aware

Aware Member

Damn.
    No one to blame but myself. This is the life I chose.

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

keep going tank commander.

Rockets are going to get pick #22 instead of the current pick #15 because the Heat are going to look great with Oladipo/Robinson/Precious/KZ Okpala/Nunn all still on their team! Like not giving up Herro? Fine that's acceptable. Not giving up Duncan? Okay. No Okpala or Precious? **** off.

Literally nothing has gone right for the rockets if it's out of their control.

MDA quit
    Russ demanded out
    Morey quit
    Harden demanded out

Injuries.

Why think it's going to change now on your magical 50/50 swap. You guys wanted losses. Be prepared for the biggest loss of the season in early May when the lottery happens. IT's almost even odds. The Rockets have a better shot of winning 2 games in a row than winning the lottery.

#518 treyk3, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  19. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I greatly appreciate your thought process here but it’s hard to not be disappointed. Oladipo was the core nugget they thought they could convert into a useful asset and they were wrong.

That said, with respect for aggregate return for Harden: trade value from NJ was always primarily about consecutive first round picks/swap rights. I believe that total is 6 consecutive creating a highly probably window of one or two lotto picks coming our way.

20. Rockets4Life13

The Oladipo Pick swap is lottery protected. Not that it matters, because miami will most likely make the playoffs, but if they for some reason end up not making the playoffs next year, we will have essentially dealt LeVert and 2 2nds ( BKN to IND, could've gone to us) for expiring contracts.

Damn.

Hakeemtheking likes this.