1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assets received from the Harden trade fallout....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Please let me know if I’ve missed any. I am not including the Tucker trade assets as they are too tangential.

Draft
    Four unprotected FRPs
    Five draft swaps
    Subtract one heavily protect SRP for KPJ

Players
    Dante Exum
    Kevin Porter Jr.
    Kelly Olynky
    Avery Bradley

Now, some may contest my inclusion of KPJ, but if we don’t trade Allen, Prince doesn’t get KPJ’s locker.

Thoughts? Have I missed anything?

#1 Houston77, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    BigShasta likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

KPJ had nothing to do with the Harden trade. We could have gotten him for the same deal if we'd never traded Harden.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. Houston77

Supporting Member

Did you even read my post? KPJ was traded because he got upset about Prince getting his locker. Prince was included in the Allen trade.

don grahamleone and topfive like this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

apparently Price is the new Prince

5. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Right that was stones master plan after all. Double agent prince price

snowconeman22 and HP3 like this.
  6. Houston77

Supporting Member

Haha, not sure why I had Price in my head.

7. Houston77

Supporting Member

Not a single thing I said in any way defended Stone.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Okay, I stopped just before that line. I suppose that's true, but man, it's hard for me to accept that we got KPJ as part of our return for Harden. We got him because he leveled an immature meltdown at the team that didn't believe in him.

don grahamleone and HP3 like this.
  9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Going to be hilarious when the Rockets fall out of the top 4 in the draft. Sounds about right with Houston's luck

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

Trade doesn't look great but the intent was to rebuild via tanking and saving cost. The cheapest way to build a contender is through the draft so of course Fertitta prefers that method.

The Oladipo trade return looks bleak but the point was to get minutes for KPJ

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. conquistador#11

Even the magic beans that can sprout to a bean stalk, in Porter Jr, you refuse to plant them and let them grow.

12. Houston77

Supporting Member

I get that. Hence why I referred to him as an asset obtained due to the trade fallout. We obviously wouldn’t have traded for KPJ had Harden stayed for multiple reasons.

13. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

This situation wouldn't have been so bad had the Rockets not risked losing their draft pick to Oklahoma City. I don't think people would care as much had it not been for that swap. The tank could be embraced since there would be no pressure.

Now there's a lot of pressure and the criticism is their strategy is still not great, but odds, I suppose, still in their favor ever since the lottery odds were adjusted a couple years ago.

Had the odds remained the same I think this would feel less stressful. Really hope it works out for them, but the lack of control of their future leaves a pit in the stomach for when they inevitably end up with the worst record in the league and the #6 pick in the lottery.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

For all we know the NBA will find out that the Rockets did some behind the table deals they weren't suppose to and then strip of us of our number 1 pick.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

At this point the Rockets need 2 extra bodies to play minutes.

Half of the Roster are injured, laying at home.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

2 highly likely late 1st (Nets22/Bucks23)

2 mystery 1st (Nets24/26)

2 highly likely useless swaps (Nets21/23)

1 mediocre swap (Miami 22)

2 mystery swaps (Nets25/27)

That's everything

It's absolutely, mind-blowingly awful and depressing. You are not allowed to trade a top 3 healthy superstar in his prime under contract for 2 season for that pile of mystery ****.

It's entirely likely OKC at the end of the day will have gotten more value out of the WB/CP swap then what we got for Harden.

It all could have been avoided by taking Simmons + picks / young players

Now we are left here praying that the 2 Nets mystery picks, and 2 Nets mystery swaps will be great and worthy of a top 3 talent, because the 2 late 1st, 2 useless swaps, and 1 mediocre swap sure ain't

FrontRunner, PWR, AleksandarN and 2 others like this.
  17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Quoted just because this is it. People need to stop sugar coating ****. Houston failed miserably with the Harden trade. Stop pretending these Nets picks will something.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

There is no point in judging the Harden trade until 2027. We were after picks and none have conveyed. Let's see how we feel about our draft picks before dogging Stone. We've gotten so used to trading all of our draft picks and making 2nd rounders and Euros the depth of the team that we've forgotten how a slew of first rounders looks on the court.

This is a complete rebuild and this is what complete rebuilds look like.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Theoretically, they COULD be something, but that's not here or there, you don't trade a talent like Harden for a big-ticket of 2 mystery picks and 2 mystery swaps. You have to get a guaranteed BIG asset.

If you ask my opinion of what will happen with the mystery picks, I don't like our odds.

I think after going through what they did with KG/Pierce situation, that they might know what they are up for.

I think these next 3 years Brooklyn will shine as one of the best teams in the league, and when the team finally dismantles in 2023/2024/2025, they will trade off old Harden/Irving/Durant for win-now pieces, and or sign new big free agents because they are the successful NYK team, and they will stay afloat that way until their pick due's are over.

ksny15 likes this.
  20. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think you have to combine the Harden and Tucker deals given how the Milwaukee pick was leveraged:

5 First Round Picks (2021 Bucks, 2022 Nets, 2023 Bucks, 2024 Nets, 2026 Nets)
    5 First Round Swaps (2021 Nets, 2022 Heat, 2023 Nets, 2025 Nets, 2027 Nets)
    Exum (expiring)
    Leonard (expiring)
    Bradley (expiring)
    DJ Wilson (expiring)
    Augustine (1 year $7 million)

for

Harden
    Tucker
    2021 2nd Round Pick

don grahamleone and Houston77 like this.