1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Sources: Houston Rockets progressing in talks to trade Victor Oladipo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 23, 2021.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Should we be interested if MIami attaches a pick to take on Herro for Oladipo? Seems like they really need Oladipo's outside shooting

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If it's a FRP, yes.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I see you working Raffy......... "Oh now you are offering Herro for Oladipo? You better have a #1 attached if you want us to take on that guy."

saleem and baller4life315 like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Gordonesque :eek::eek:

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I would take Tyler Herro for Dipo straight up...a pick to go along with him as well would just be an added bonus

it’s not likely at all tho so I’m not too invested in this scenario

Wulaw Horn and tmoney1101 like this.
  6. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Just wanna say it’s a little funny that people insinuate Oladipo isn’t worth a lot because he isn’t producing but the same people say Miami should have Herro as untouchable when he’s arguably worse than Oladipo this year. I know there’s other factors such as age, contract, and injury history.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Oladipo, throughout the month of March, has played 7 games. He takes about 8 3s a game. He's 21/58 for about 36%. It's not like he's worlds better than Herro,

Compared to Herro, Oladipo is injury-prone, older and his contract is about to be ridiculously big.

Now, logically, why would a team attach a pick (FR or SR) to a sophomore on his rookie contract just for a rental? But okay, let's say the Heat sign Oladipo long-term. I highly doubt Riley thinks a core of Butler / Oladipo / Bam for the next X years is enough to compete with the Philly duo in their prime, the BKN trio or even Giannis / Holiday / Middleton.

8. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Seen it mentioned a lot, but Oladipo to Atlanta makes so much sense on the floor... considering his bond with McMillan and their need for a reliable #2 (who may play like your #1 for 2-3 games over a series). He has also quickly become an underrated defender, especially on-ball. He's fringe elite when he wants to be (will be key in playoffs v Kyrie, or even a Jrue, because they're going to have to try to hide Young as best they can). There has also been talk about them maybe coddling Young too much, certainly too early. Oladipo is exactly the kind of competitor that can come in and push him, which has been the Rondo role, to a degree, but Rondo simply can't do it in ways that Oladipo can with his play. The big issue has to be money, especially with Collins coming up. Maybe they struggle and decide they don't like Oladipo quite enough to throw a bag at him this summer. I don't know. They also have desirable young assets (Okongwu's a stud, Reddish a steady 3&D, Bogdanovic a talented guard under contract) and ability to match salary rather easily. I think there may be some lowball offers on the table right now from some of these teams with no flexibility, but maybe Atlanta pulls the trigger down the stretch under pressure. Okongwu coming back in some sort of Oladipo-led package would be reason to celebrate.

joshuaao, saleem, CHAMPBOY and 2 others like this.
  9. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

To be honest, I think Herro is worth two FRPs. In general the question you'd ask if you are interested in a young semi-proven prospect X is, how many picks on average do you need in order to draft a player that will end up as good as X.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

But those are big green / red flags, though.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

31.2% hmmm

That probably means Oladipo's 32.0% is the worst mark for anyone with 7.5+ 3fa per game

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

and those other factors are what get taken into account...it’s not like u can just gloss over them

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

maybe, that's how you can value him ... maybe

but for a Houston rebuild, by that logic, what can you get for 3 picks or 4? If you use 2 picks on Herro, that means you are giving up chance for an even better players, no?

Like, if I have Super Max amount of cap space to spend on free agents, if I use half of it right away, well, none left for any level of Max player.

imo, Oladipo is worth more than Herro. But I'll take Herro for him, alone.

Nook likes this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

thats why he comes off the bench

15. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Also, I think Butler would be very against them moving Herro, unless it was for a guy like Beal. He and Herro seem to be close. I know Riley and Spo run that show, but I think Butler has pull, especially with his personality, relationship with Wade and how he was ushered in there. It'd be hard to move a guy like Herro, based on everything mentioned-age, deal, relationships, etc. and on, after he was one of your 3 best players in an improbable Finals run.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So many players struggle around the trade deadline as they are worried about being traded and immediately turn it around if they aren't...

DD

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Herro is just midway through his 2nd season, yet we’ve got so many on here acting like the book on him is already closed and they’ve got his career trajectory all figured out

maybe he should go down to the G-League and average a quick and easy 28, 6, and 6 so he can get some hype...it worked for KPJr

if he’s in his 4th season still playing at this current level, then come talk to me

18. DaDakota

Rashmon, cmoak1982 and joshuaao like this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He wants big money next year. Since he isn't very good defensively, I don't like the idea of throwing a bunch of money at this guy.

For the record, I'm find giving him a try out this year if it means getting Wall the hell out of Houston. It's too bad Bulls are too cheap for that.

20. DaDakota

You mean like Max money? Seems his bird rights might be worth it, but I doubt anyone gives him a Max offer......maybe we can extend him for a smaller deal?

At some point we do need to pay our good players.

DD

BamBam likes this.