1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Sources: Houston Rockets progressing in talks to trade Victor Oladipo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 23, 2021.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No, this is Tillman Fertitta's team, through and through.

saleem, FLASH21, Nook and 6 others like this.
  2. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I know Codman mentioned SAC - I'd love to grab Bagley if at all possible. I think that type of asset (slightly distressed but still very early) and a late 1st or early 2nd is probably a best-case scenario, at least based on what we've seen thus far from Vic (which ain't much). Pairing Bagley with C-Wood would be interesting, very versatile lineup that could evolve quite nicely with a couple top draft picks.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm thinking DAL or NYK pull the trigger on this turd -- both teams need to make the playoffs

he's not a fit and probably wouldn't agree to re-sign in SAC. MIA will probably hold out for beal. BOS has a b**** for a GM. PHI probably thinks they have enough as is. LAL has nothing to give up. GS could make an offer but probably want a higher efficiency player than this turd

saleem and MourningWood like this.
  4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Would it be insane to try to expand a Denver deal to include EG and Barton? Example: Dipo/EG for Harris/Barton/Zeke or RJ. We move EG’s contract. Follow up deal? Philly had interest in Barton. Barton for D. Green (expiring)? Am I being silly?

Side note: I know Ferntits probably wouldn’t let Stone deal with Philly, but this does save us $$$. Might be enough to bury the hatchet.

5. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Omega Moo

hakeem94, Rashmon and saleem like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Stone gets good trade value on players that we don't want. I guess his low key poker face personality works with other GM's

7. TimV

TimV Member

yes, but by “progressing” they mean by...

we want 2 unprotected FRP —> we would like 2 lottery protected FRP —>. We would like a FRP and a young budding star —> We’ll take a FRP and someone under 22 that’s touched a basketball before —> we’ll take a SRP, a dozen used basketballs, and expired boxes of Crackerjacks —> awe, come on, do us a solid here, we can’t come out of this with nothing.

saleem, Wulaw Horn and pippendagimp like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Bagley is a really interesting buy low candidate, still very young...but isn't his defense pretty bad? I'm pretty sure he isn't even an average shot blocker fwiw, not sure he's going to fit that well with Wood, although again, age and potential still makes it worth it for the right rice.

hakeem94, Nook, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I have terrible memories of all the shitty lotto picks we took a flyer on over the years and how they all sucked ass. Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn, Terrance Williams, Thomas Robinson, etc.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Why do I get a feeling that Denver is going to come in and give Stone Gary Harris, a 1st rounder and a 1st round pick swap? Vic, for all his warts, is better than Harris right now and comes off the books after the season whereas Harris still has one year left at $20 million.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If I can fault Morey for anything it's for falling in love with that 2009 draft class. Like we get it bro, you got Harden but there's no need to bring in all of the busts as a high risk high reward move.

topfive, Scarface, arabrocket and 3 others like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Honestly I can't think of any lotto draft picks that was awful for 1-2 seasons but then all of sudden turned it around. The players that usually make the turnaround are usually undrafted players

Patience, jcmoon and ElPigto like this.
  13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Unless a third team is involved, there isn’t a Dipo scenario involving Sacramento that makes any sense. They’re too bad to be buyers and 0% chance he re-signs there.

The more plausible scenario is a buy-low bid on our end. Corpse of Exum + an asset for Bagley.

joshuaao likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Geez I kinda knew that but you’re right. Add P Beverley, Omri Caspi, Chase Buddinger also from that draft. The rockets had like 12 players total on the team at one point or another.

steddinotayto and ElPigto like this.
  15. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Bagley isn't a total bust, there are nights when he looks like an NBA player. It's not as if he's Anthony Bennett or Jahil Okafar and is gonna get ten days for the next few years. If he was draft late lottery or if his salary wasn't so high the story would be different. There aren't any huge reclamation projects who come back as stars, but top ten picks who quickly show they weren't good enough for that range cane became valuable role players down the line. Derrick Favors, Aminu, Kanter, Biyombo, Harrison Barnes, McLemore looked like he fit that mold last year but has fallen off, will see how he looks in a better team again if it happens, Otto Porter etc

16. Nook

Nook Member

Bagley is definitely available. The Rockets and Kings were discussing Bagley during the Harden negotations... the Rockets were targeting him as a young player they would receive in return. FWIW The Rockets also liked his brother a month ago in the draft.

The Kings GM is ready to move on from Bagley and his father..... he has really good physical tools.

saleem, joshuaao, Vivi and 1 other person like this.
  17. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Acquiring an expiring like Powell for Oladipo makes no sense, unless a pick is attached.

saleem likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Sacramento would be essentially a third or fourth wheel.

The Sixers and Nets were trying to pry a young player from them to send to Houston for Harden or a #1 pick.... Sacramento is an opportunist teams.

joshuaao and baller4life315 like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I tend to agree with you unless the Rockets sign him to the extension that Oladipo passed on.

ashleyem, sydmill and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member