1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was on the Cade camp until I watched the USC/Kansas game last night. Now, I'm 100% for Mobley. To your point about Mobley being intuitive, what jumped out the most for me is his innate feel for the game. His intuition/innate feel and demeanor reminds me more of Timmy Duncan than AD. Also, similar to Timmy, he didn't need to use his size or athleticism to win the game, he was making smart passes and putting himself in the right place at the right time. I could have sworn I saw a few hat-trick assists from him during the game.

He would be perfect next to Wood and a smart, impactful role-player like Tate.

Richie_Rich, STR8Thugg, Milos and 5 others like this.
  2. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

3. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

I agree though I believe Mobley is very athletic and mobile. I like Cade, Mobley and Green though

D-rock and bumbum09 like this.
  4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

The good news is we’ll have at best a 14% chance of drafting first, so our choice should be more clear. If we are lucky enough to draft 2-4 the choice should be easy (best available). I would be hard pressed to pass on Mobley at 2 or 3.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  5. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Not good enough either...

6. forchette49

Boone and Anderson III had great seasons also and were key to that 4 win improvement you brag out, lol Try actually watching the games instead of just Youtube highlights, you'll be amazed at what you'll find out.

Good to know that's all you actually do though moving forward...

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, 12 and 9 ppg are both “great seasons”...lmao...no one was more key than Cade

u call Cade Shaun Livingston and then tell someone else to actually try watching games...your stupidity is amusing

raining threes, D-rock and Milos like this.
  8. Milos

Milos Member

If he hangs around long enough to be a meaningful part of the next Rockets contender, I'm becoming more convinced that KPJ's best role on a good team will be 6th man

Instant offense and freedom to run the bench unit in a less-structured setting seems like a better fit for a guy known to have maturity/professionalism questions

Not to say he cannot run an offense, but I'm not sure he's the guy to keep everyone happy with setups for easy buckets and 'manage' the game for 40 mins
    Also not sold how effective he is playing off ball or his commitment to D

All of that screams 6th man to me
    Lou Will should be KPJ's role model
    (once we find a starting backcourt)

Meantime, maybe he proves me wrong and blossoms into an AllStar capable of creating OFF for himself and others at will

groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Undersized can refer to weight as well.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still 20, lot of growth left in him.

Already a top 8 distributor in the NBA, that's no joke.

Wall wishes he could be that this season.

11. steveng125

steveng125 Member

None of these guys excite me to be on the team. None are franchise players...

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Timmy D is good comparison regarding attitude.

I kept thinking less explosive Ralph.

Milos likes this.
  13. Rockets4Life13

They are like 19 years old, lol. Plenty of time to get in the weight room.

also, the lack of muscle on someone like Mobley makes him able to stay with faster perimeter players due to the gained mobility.

Can't have everything^^

14. forchette49

They did actually have great seasons, and huge improvements over their freshman seasons, lol wow. Glad you're basing that improvement on just points per game as well, lol How short sighted and shallow, but again I'm arguing with a youtube highlight guy, my mistake in the first place....

Livingston was actually a pretty good player before the injury, he wasn't the scrub you're making him out to be. Was also a big part of the Warriors bench post injury. Was also drafted in the top 4 in 2004 and both are roughly the same size with similar skill sets. I'm waaaay off though, right!? Smh, go back to playing COD or Tiktok or something kid.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I don't know, he seems to have much more upside as long as he can focus just on basketball. Dude has all the tools and is very young.

Harden wasn't the first choice in OKC, but when he was forced to in Houston, he turned out to be one of the best all time offensive weapons. Wasn't Harden 23 when he got to Houston? Kevin is going to turn 21 in a couple of months.

I personally would give him more time on the court and allow him to be the best he can.

fattz and raining threes like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

12 points in 30 minutes, and going from 5 to 9 ppg...”great seasons”...yeah, right

I’m talking to someone who called Cade Shaun Livingston...lmao

Similar skill sets? Yeah, except one is way better as a scorer and shooter. I guess anyone who’s around 6’7, light-skinned, and plays a guard position is now a Shaun Livingston.

now you’re in your feelings like a little child because your stupidity got called out...how sad

17. Milos

Milos Member

In a good overall year for the Big12 (Kansas didn't lap the field!!), Cade was clearly the best player as a freshman

He chose to join a team that was middle of pack and tried to lift them up, rather than join a powerhouse like Suggs did at Gonzaga
    I give guys bonus points when they try to build their own thing on the road less traveled

Underclassmen to win B12 PotYear:
    21 - Cade
    19 - Culver
    13 - Smart
    09 - Griffin
    08 - Beasley
    07 - Durant

Of the 4 whose NBA legacies are secure, we've got 2 HoFamers, a superb role player, and a total bust
    Odds are in Cade's favor that he will be worth a high lotto pick

OK ST has a good team beyond Cade, no doubt
    4 seeds aren't earned by a single player alone
    But let's not understate what a rare package of skills and traits Cade brought to Stillwater

My only negative in watching him this season is that I don't see a defining skill or trait that you can point to and say "see that's why he's special"

Mobley jumps off the screen in this way for me every time I watch him, and in multiple ways
    First it's his preternatural timing to block/change shots
    Then it's the soft hands and explosive finishing at the rim that will make him a P&R nightmare

Cade is more like a jack-of-all-trades but master-of-none
    He's an average athlete with nice size for a wing
    He's a good shooter and finisher, but neither tool is outstanding in a way that screams out "explosive scorer"
    For his size, he's a very good playmaker, but he's not another point forward like Ben Simmons
    He's an above-average defender, but not a game-changer on that end

My comp for Cade has always been Jayson Tatum
    Same build and moderate athletic profile
    Polished OFF game NBA-ready as a Freshman

The jury is still out on whether you can build a real championship team around Tatum, despite all his individual stats and accolades

I see Cade the same way
    While he guarantees an end to your team's lotto purgatory if you draft him, he is by no means a lock to lead your team to a ring as 'the man'

Richie_Rich, Mr Woods and forchette49 like this.
  18. Milos

Milos Member

Ralph Sampson was the very first comp that popped into my head the first time I watched Mobley
    He and Wood could become an interchangeable Twin Towers 2.0, but the modern version

Bull in particular loves to make the point that Ralph was the perfect big to play in today's NBA, but he came around about 25 years too soon
    His style (for a 7footer) was not appreciated in his day, and injuries ensured it never will be

Mobley's timing couldn't be better
    He and Wood could take turns running P&R for lobs, popping out for open 3's, or dismantling stiff big men going ISO from the top
    Rebounding would become a team strength instantly, as would rim protection
    While neither has much of a strong lower base to hold post position, that ability now ranks near the bottom of priorities when looking for the modern NBA big

Steven Adams would be virtually unplayable against that duo, stumbling over his own feet from a cross-over as they fly past over and over

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

youre way off in comparisons

20. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Evan Mobley.

Rudyc281 likes this.