1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. verysimplejason

I agree with you. A willing #2 most of the time is better than a pretending #1. As much as Cade's skilled, I can't see him as my primary player in a playoff team.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I dont hate Cade like the vocal minority, but I dont think I want him as primary ball handler/PG in the NBA.

I think his ball handling and height is going to enable him to create shots for himself, though.

I remember back in the day there were a bunch of people who liked to hate on Shaq because he was "just" big and didn't shimmy and shake and show quick explosion like Hakeem or Robinson.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh we don't need to go back that far. I remember a couple years ago when there were doubts about Luka that were for the exact same reasons as Cade.

D-rock, saleem and Lloyd Estacio like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

lmao at your avatar.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. sydmill

sydmill Member

If the Rockets get the top pick then I think Cade is the guy (IMO the top player in the draft). If they get the #2 then its probably Mobley. If they get the third or the fourth pick I hope that they select Kuminga. Just watch this video:

This is a guy who should be playing his senior year in HS out on the court with GROWN men. Not only that, but he played, mostly, as a 4 where he was exposed more to the physical nature of play then Green. Meanwhile, he had the highest usage on the team. I just think that he is a guy who is already be compared to the best players in the game and I think he will work to fulfill that potential. And I think the Rockets are perfectly situated to be the team that he reaches that potential on.

As a rookie you play him mostly as the roll man and playing off of KPJ and Wood and in transition. Get him in and make him earn his seat at the table by hustling and getting his touches in the flow of the game. By year 2 start to design good looks for him using his strengths. By year 3 I expect he would be producing something similar to Jaylen Brown's current season. Except I think he does it as a combo 3/4.

D-rock, johnnydeezy1 and RedIsen like this.
  6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I like Cade and I’m open to being convinced otherwise, but as of today I’m on team Mobley.

Mobley is legitimately a franchise player. The upside is extraordinary with his size and skill level. He fits next to Wood, also.

I like what I’m seeing. If we end up with him, all of the pain and nonsense we’ve experienced this season (Westbrook drama, Harden drama, 20 game streak, etc) suddenly becomes worth it.

7. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I have Kuminga in the same range you do, 3-4. There's a lot to like about him. One of the youngest players in the draft, but with an NBA ready build. By all accounts a really hard worker. Has all the tools to be great on both ends of the court. His rate of improvement and development has been impressive. I don't know if he has a truly elite skill at this point, but his first step and slashing are notable.

I think the shooting efficiency will scare people, which is reasonable cause the numbers are ugly. But like you said, he's a kid with a physical play style going against pros for the first time. He also had a terrible 1-12 game that cratered his percentage. But I'm not convinced he becomes as good a shooter as Jaylen Brown. I know Brown has a reputation as an athletic wing that learned to shoot, but back in highschool Brown was like a 40% 3pt shooter. I don't think Kuminga has ever flashed shooting potential like that.

The team that drafts him definitely needs patience. I like your 3 year "onboarding" plan lol. But yeah, that's why he's not #1 or #2 for me. Would definitely be happy if he ends up on the Rockets.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  8. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Can someone explain to me why teams just can’t pick up a player in the g league instead of waiting for the draft ?

9. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

Changed my vote from Cade to Evan Mobley. Imagine Wood and Mobley inside??!

D-rock and Milos like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

It seems we are in the Clutchfan scouting phase of .... what did he do in the last game?

I'll start taking the draft seriously after the tourny and especially once the order is set.

houston19519 likes this.
  11. Milos

Milos Member

I don't think I've been as impressed by a college big since AD cut the nets for Cal almost a decade ago
    Everything he does looks effortless and intuitive, like he sees the game on a different level than the other 9 on the court

Wings and guards may rule the NBA these days but the traditional 'big' limitations don't really apply to Mobley, much like Davis
    Even Embiid doesn't have this rare gift

Superstars who routinely dominate games without scoring are the rarest gems that make championship teams work
    They make the game easier for everyone else, and seamlessly shift from one role to another as needed

As much as I hate him, Draymond was what made the 'lineup of death' click
    Curry, Klay & Durant took turns as the lead scorer, but nobody else took turns in the Draymond role

Garnett finally embraced this role in BOS after years wasted in the first round leading MIN in scoring
    While Pierce , Ray and even Rondo all took the lead running the offense, KG's selfless efforts in the background are what made that team special

12. Mr. Space City

imagine wall freezing out mobley AND wood.

D-rock likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

are you talking about Green and Kuminga?

This is the first year of a pilot program to allow non-eligible NBA players to develop in the G-League. They are playing for a special G-League team (the Ignite), who aren't affiliated with an NBA team, and the players aren't available to sign with an NBA team this year.

Here's the One and Done Rule, which still applies to their NBA eligibility:

Article X dictated that in order for an American player to be draft eligible, he must be at least 19 years old and at least one NBA season must have elapsed since when he graduated from high school or, if he didn't graduate, when he would have graduated.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like his upside, despite his weak 3 point shooting. Isn't he really 6'6" instead of 6'8"?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Great post. You sound like you know you’re talking about. Mobley it is, Cutino you have a new favorite player on the team if he is drafted.

D-rock and Milos like this.
  16. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Yes I am!! Thank you so much for that heypartner! That makes sense

heypartner likes this.
  17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Have to say Mobley has been impressive..

KPJ, Wood and Mobley could get really interesting

If we do trade for Cade, not sure how it would fit with KPJ...but again, you take the best player available at that point and I think its Cade

raining threes and Milos like this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

you might be further interested to know that Green was allowed to sign a $500,000 contract with the Ignite. So next year, more HS players might go this route. (I think 6 did this year, but most were foreign players foregoing signing with NCAA teams.)

The idea is to side-step the NCAA clamps on the 1nDone rule, and give them an alternative to Europe.

I think there is a limit on how many of them can sign above the G-League max. I'm fuzzy on how that works, and who actually pays them, since the Ignite is non-affiliated.

19. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Wow ..interesting! yeah to get paid $500,000 and play against that level of players sounds like a good alternative lol .. I could actually see college’s trying to compete with that allowing players to make some kind of money .. i mean at that age making $500,000 sounds great lol unless they want the “college experience”

D-rock, saleem and heypartner like this.
  20. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Listed at 6'7, so yeah probably closer to 6'6. Roughly 7' wingspan. Not sure if he's done growing.

D-rock and saleem like this.