1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

At least this outcome by Illinois today should make buck feel better about how sorry Texas was

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Big Longhorn fan but they expire too quickly too often.... basketball and football

At least this time it was against another Texas school

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You couldn't rub that salt into my wound last night? You woke up and first thing you thought about was opening up my wounds? You're such a sweetheart.

MadMax likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is he still the coach? Fired yet?

If he doesn’t get let go after 6 seasons with no tourney wins then it tells you how much they value basketball relative to football.

who are the top replacement names?

it obviously won’t happen but Brad Steven’s would be cool. But he says he’s committed to the Celtics.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Nooo! I didn’t say anything...the tournament is a b****. I just responded to you responding to my post from over a month ago lol.

6. jsingles

jsingles Member

What is it about Houston/Texas teams ******** the bed? I was listening to some 88.7 the other morning and there was a segment on Houston Matters that talked just about this.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Few names that *should* get a look per IT:

Chris Beard, Dana Altman, Eric Mussleman,
    Porter Moser, Royal Ivey.

It’s Beard or bust for me, checks all the boxes.

tinman and JayZ750 like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

I was reading up on Arky and Musselman, forgot he was good friends with a certain former NBA coach...then I got the crazy idea that he needs to talk to said coach about how much fun he's having in college:

JVG

I'm not totally joking.

I'm not sure there's any way they can afford to buyout Beard, or even if he'd want the job.

9. gucci888

From what I’m reading, it’s $13M just to get Beard in the door? $7M to Shaka, $6M to Tech.

10. Buck Turgidson

gucci888 likes this.
  11. gucci888

Beard’s buyout actually drops to $4M in 1.5 weeks. But factoring the $24M CDC just shelled out to Herman and Co. This is a stupid amount to be paying non-employees.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. JayZ750

UCLA’s ease in beating Abilene should be another nail in the coffin.

UT made them look like the best defensive team in the country. UCLA had 8 turnovers... just 8.

mtbrays and tinman like this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Matt Coleman senior point guard
    he doesn’t develop any players
    He’s worse now as he was a freshman , you have to be a good passer

14. Bob Barker 007

Like football and pretty much every other major sport, basketball has evolved in favor of offense. Beard and Bennett run efficient but plodding offenses. I would prefer a coach who runs an elite offensive system and can develop guards even with a merely competent defense. They're also more exciting to watch when most of our fans have the basketball IQ of a doorknob.

Defense is highly overrated in college basketball, and the state produces plenty of good athletes who can be taught the basics. The true game changers in college are playmakers who can elevate their respective teams. Coaches who would be decent fits are Altman, Musselman, and Moser.

15. Buck Turgidson

I get what you're saying but you're wrong.

Defense *without* offense is overrated, but it can win you a game or 2 in the tournament but that's all. Offense without defense doesn't exist anymore. Tech made it to OT in the championship on a defense first, score points off of it, philosophy.

Lack of consistent outside shooting is the killer now. If you go ice-cold with your guards, like UT did, or like UH tried to do, then you can lose to anyone.

mtbrays, gucci888 and raining threes like this.
  16. gucci888

Just give me whoever can put together a competent game plan and ability to adjust. Watching this team fly around and play into the hands of ACU’s pressure D from start to finish was one of the most frustrating things to watch.

17. JayZ750

I guess, lol... you think you'd could be an average passer and not throw it right to the other team as UT did many times.

The biggest take away was they all played and looked nervous as hell. If that's because Shaka didn't have a gameplan or for whatever reason can't get his players confident in the tourney (as it seems he can't)... whatever, he got to go.

gucci888 and YOLO like this.
  18. Major

Major Member

There's no way they are firing Shaka after a top-10 finish and Big12 Tournament championship. When was the last time a Texas team finished the season in the top 10?

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

He definitely deserves to get fired. 6 years and he still doesn’t have 1 ncaa tourney win. And he just got embarrassed by a team that had no business being there. What a feat for a top 10 big 12 ship. That’s straight embarrassing. A play in team literally blew them out with limited talent and merely just playing as hard as them

the covid pause a year ago saved him. He was about to be fired a year ago. Looks like it should have been done

#759 YOLO, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    raining threes likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Regardless of whether he deserves it, they aren't firing a coach who finished in the top 10 and won the B12 title.

ACU is not good and UT certainly sucked against them, but UCLA was only a play-in team because apparently no one realized how good the Pac-12 is. They went 13-6 in a conference that is now dominating the NCAA Tournament. Texas, by comparison went 11-6 in a conference that completely flamed out in the tournament along with the B10.