1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Reason] Why Are Members of Congress Trying To Ban the Importation of Kangaroo Meat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

for you Reason fans.

fwiw I'm a fan of kangaroo meat and also of LL Bean kangaroo upland boots

"Why Are Members of Congress Trying To Ban the Importation of Kangaroo Meat?"

https://reason.com/2021/03/20/why-a...ying-to-ban-the-importation-of-kangaroo-meat/

FOOD FREEDOM
    Why Are Members of Congress Trying To Ban the Importation of Kangaroo Meat?
    Congress should rue the day it hopped on the kangaroo-meat ban.
    BAYLEN LINNEKIN | 3.20.2021 8:30 AM

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) and Rep. Jamin Raskin (D-Md.) don't see eye to eye on much. Gaetz lied about the Capitol riot. Raskin led the impeachment of the man who incited it. On perhaps just one issue, though, they speak with one voice. What issue is so vital that it has united such seeming polar opposites? The apparent need to ban the sale of kangaroo meat in the United States.

Indeed, Gaetz and Raskin have joined with a handful of other bipartisan sponsors to promote the Kangaroo Protection Act, which would "prohibit the sale of kangaroo products" in this country, including meat and leather, and the importation of the same.

Under the terms of the bill, which is at once a joke and deadly serious, violators could face prison time and steep fines for each violation.

While reporting that Australia opposes the ban strenuously—the country exports around $80 million of kangaroo products to the U.S. every year—the Sydney Morning Herald also notes that a "coalition of animal rights groups [is] behind the bill."

By sheer coincidence, the Kangaroo Protection Act also contains language that would establish a private right of action, meaning people—in this case, likely animal-rights supporters and groups—could file suit against alleged violators to uphold the law.

As the Herald also reports, one of the groups leading the charge to ban kangaroo meat in the U.S. is Animal Wellness Action, headed by Wayne Pacelle, the former head of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), who resigned from that group in 2018 in the face of allegations of sexual harassment made by several female HSUS subordinates.

Pacelle says he thinks the bill to ban kangaroo meat has legs. "It's an easy vote for Democrats certainly, and also for Republicans to show they are animal-welfare friendly," he told the Herald.

It may appear an easy vote if one were to consider the opinions only of animal-rights supporters. In an interview shared by Viva!, a UK-based animal-rights group that opposes selling or eating kangaroo meat, David Nicholls, a former kangaroo hunter, describes why he gave up the hunt.

"I began to realize the place of humans on the planet did not come with special and intrinsic rights to do at whim with it and the creatures on it," Nicholls says. "I slowly turned vegetarian and am now a fully-fledged vegan."

Nicholls's transformation from hunter to vegan is all well and good, but it's also about as relevant to whether or not kangaroo meat should be legal as is any other person's dietary preferences—mine and yours included. About as relevant, in fact, as the Australian movement known as "kangatarianism," which is like pescatarianism but with kangaroo meat subbing for seafood as the eater's sole animal protein of choice. All of which is to say that no one person's or group's dietary preferences should have a bearing whatsoever on the legality of any food.

While I don't usually reference Wikipedia, its entry for kangaroo meat does an exemplary job describing the many ways that eating kangaroo is common, humane, sustainable, and a key part of the diets of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people who live on the continent.

"The commercial kangaroo industry offers a path for self-determination for Aboriginal people," Clayton Donovan, a leading indigenous Australian chef, told The Guardian this month. "And now another group of non-Indigenous are talking about taking it away entirely."

The proposed kangaroo ban comes as kangaroo meat is gaining in popularity in Australia, where it's valued as an "environmentally friendly alternative to beef and pork."

I've never had the good fortune to eat kangaroo. But Reason editor-in-chief Katherine Mangu-Ward, who has supped on roo, describes it as "outstanding… tender, extremely flavorful, appealingly rosy meat."

Sounds lovely to me.

"If you want to buy a Happy Meal with a horsemeat burger, a can of Four Loko, trans fat fried foie gras, and a side of shark fin soup, I applaud your right to make those choices," I once told the Washington City Paper. The rights of carnivores, omnivores, vegans, and kangatarians alike deserve the same applause—and protection.​

Nook likes this.
  2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

o-ROGER-SWOLED-570.jpg

I hear this dudes been visiting Capitol Hill, telling lawmakers that it'd be a shame if they happened to fall down the stairs and get a nasty injury after eating a kangaroo burger.

I have no problem eating any animal as long as they aren't endangered or are being "harvested" with wanton cruelty and it is done safely.

I'm guessing a lot of the people talking about the "right" to eat any animal you want were sharing Facebook posts about sub-humans eating bats and pangolins this time last year.

#2 Ottomaton, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Nook, Buck Turgidson and saitou like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

A surprise in every pouch, mate!

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Australia’s beloved kangaroos are now controversial pests
    They’re the nation’s hopping icons. They also destroy crops and cause car accidents. Is killing them the solution?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/article/australia-kangaroo-beloved-symbol-becomes-pest

If you've eaten meat pies in Australia you've probably ingested some kangaroo meat. Seems like an odd thing to ban, is there a cattle or poultry lobby somewhere funding this behind the scenes?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Kangaroo is tasty.

And they truly can be destructive pests, just like feral hogs in the US.

rockbox, pgabriel, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Though I've lived in the US all my life, I'm also an Australian citizen. Been there for some long trips. Roos aren't endangered or anything so far as I'm aware. I can't think of a rational reason to ban kangaroo meat other than arbitrarily deciding they're cuter than cows or whatever else.

malakas, Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Yes, but how many Kangaroos are illegally migrating across the U.S. border from Mexico? Consider the separation of all the little Joeys.

Rashmon and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Is it good like steak or do you have to simmer it like tough meats? I now have a hankering to try it.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I mean that’s the reason why we’ve banned horse/dog/cat meat

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I thought the dog and cat meat prohibition act changed that to make consumption illegal, guess I’ll have to re-read it.

Still, it being federally illegal to sell in commercial business, or for slaughter houses to handle them is a pretty effective ban.

What do you think about the those meats being banned commercially, and what is the acting differentiator in those meats being banned as opposed to other meats?

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I don't know much about it, also don't know how recent that article was. Aside from the "ick factor," it's hard to know why there is a ban/prohibition/taboo against eating dog or cat meat. Certainly there are cultures where those types of meat are consumed and enjoyed. I think in the U.S. there is just too much association with those animals as pets

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

That’s dumb. Kangaroo meat is delicious.

14. Buck Turgidson

The socialization with humans factor.

Dogs and cats and to a lesser but not insignificant extent horses have evolved with humans ever since there were humans. They're seen more as intelligent symbiotic partners. There's a lot more to do with it than that (like personality, insert Jules from Pulp Fiction), but that's the gist of it.

Also...most people do not and have not eaten predators and scavengers for a long time, ala varmints, coyotes, wolves, cats here in the US. Nasty, greasy, not pleasant as food.

Bears were apparently the exception back in frontier/native days, but they ate a huge amount of vegetation along with any meat/fish they could find.

#14 Buck Turgidson, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Bear isn’t very good but the fat can be used for different purposes. As for the most disgusting thing I have eaten... it isn’t insects or alligator or nutria or fermented fish (which is horrendous)... it is dog, many years ago in South Korea. It has an extremely strong smell. The people in Korea were bathing the meat in hot sauce to cover the taste.

I was offered some in Vietnam. I passed.

16. Buck Turgidson

Black bear was a routine delicacy back in the 1800's in the west, and still in Alaska etc, which is why you don't see them outside of the mountain/forest wilderness areas (just like elk and mule deer before them, humans drove them out of the grasslands)

I've only seen pics, but a skinned, hanging black bear looks uncannily like a human.

Nook likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

The bear meat wasn’t as bad as the dog (like half as bad) but it still was nasty. I am not surprised it was popular, especially in an area like the West. It still is a mammal that eats some vegetation. The meat was soft and very fatty like pork. It was like a mixture of mutton and rancid beef. Oddly, the solidified fat smelled pleasant like hydrogenated vegetable oil and duck fat. Supposedly the bear fat is excellent for taste with pemmican.

Dog smelled like standing water and wet cardboard.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A lot of hunters still eat bears.

100% it's cultural and has to do with the nature of the animals. Most predators aren't exactly docile animals you could farm and expect to grow nice and fat off of a pasture, nor most would you keep as a pet lol.

But my point was, just because we have a fondness for these animals, doesn't necessarily explain why it should be illegal to eat them over other animals. I mean, it does explain it, but the reasoning is essentially "they are cute, we like them, we've had great times" and whatnot. It's not that the animals aren't edible, as we see in other cultures. So if we want to declare Kangaroos as too cute to kill, why not?

I just dislike the inconsistency on these things.

19. Buck Turgidson

Right, it's very much a Native American, First Nations kind of thing these days. Back in the day it was sold in mining towns next to anything else they could sell for fresh food.

I do know that you can't eat polar bear liver, because there's so much vitamin (something) in it that you will die.

Nook likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Right, the meat has to be cooked well done because of parasites and yes the liver can kill people. I also want to say because it is an omnivore the taste and smell of the bear fat depends on what it’s diet is.