1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Silas the worst nba head coach in NBA history?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

While he will not say it, this has to be the chief concern for Silas. He did not get a coaching job until later than most and now he is coaching a team that likely finishes bottom 3 in the standings. It is possible that if he doesn’t stick around, he never gets a chance to coach another decent team.

The NBA is brutal about reputations for coaches, you lose early and often and you are branded a loser regardless of circumstances.

This fact also explains why Silas was so adamant he wanted Oladipo, he felt he could win him games.

2. amaru

amaru Member

Yes it’s understandable. Although Silas isn’t 100% innocent here the losing is mostly about injuries and roster turnover. I fear he’s already got the “losing coach” brand.

RustyHarden likes this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Gregg Popovich must be the Only Coach in NBA to the Win the Lottery and Win a Championship.

Stephen Silas has really low odds against him, when his contract ends and he is let go.

I think he has 2 more years of Lottery.
    With John Wall being here for 2 more years It is a Guarantee Lottery.

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Stephen Silas Lack of Charisma and Optimistism. Such a Downer when he talks.

Huge Difference in what Rudy Tomjanovich, Uptone Voice, Positive Nature, Keeping the Spirits High when the Team is Playing Bad.

Very Disappointed in Stephen Silas behaviour and not getting his team more prepared.

Rafael Stone has to cleanup Daryl Motey mess. Daryl for years and years traded away First Round Picks and Second Round Picks.

It Sets the Team Back For Years, Now Look at the Rockets. The Rockets have No Young Talent that Daryl Morey Drafted.
    Rafael Stone is trying his best to add Youth, Athleticism, Talent.

So Far
    Top 4 Pick Hopefully
    Kevin Porter Jr.
    KJ Martin
    Christian Wood
    JaeSean Tate
    David Nwaba
    Sterling Brown

bballjunkie and ashleyem like this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Replace Stephen Silas with Keith Jones

The Reporters Always ask about who is Playing and who isnt.

Just get Trainer Keith Jones in to talk.
    Common Sense.

Stephen Silas with "I dont know" "I am not Sure" of who is or isnt playing.

Keith Jones better talk.

vlaurelio and htownrox1 like this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

fixed it for you

D-rock likes this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think Stephen Silas will get fired maybe Next Year if they are still a Lottery Team.
    And IF they have a Lottery Pick and they continue this trend. They better be close to .500 Next Year.

Nobody cares if Stephen Silas, a Black Coach got fired, it is a Results and Reputation League.

To me Basketball Players get Tired of Listening to the Head Coach and Basically Ignore the Head Coach. If they continue to Lose and Players are not playing hard for him. Then Stephen Silas will get fired.

#167 rockets1995, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  8. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Maybe that’s the whole point. You don’t win 6 straight and loose 19 unless you’re really trying. He’ll, we don’t even complain on ref
    I don’t see Silas having such a short vision. The guy literally spent 20 years as an assistant coach. He’s not gonna a rush this process. He knows what the game plan is - including getting KPJr. to develop in Gleague and work him into current lineup. Fans just trigger happy. By the time we can have in person games again, KPJr. Will be a legit all star with similar young all star pieces around him. Harden leaving is like breaking up with your 8 year relationship and trying to find a rebound expecting it to be the same as before. You gotta work in yourself and rebuild.

You don’t really see the media dogging on Silas... he came out the gate with a 6 game win streak. Top defensive team. Then injuries. So, at least you know he CAN win with nothing/no one but Christian Wood.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Being fired for these circumstances would d*mn sure be an issue
    If he does not get at least 3 yrs I will be VERY PISSED
    Next year would be the year I would expect alot more from him
    and learn to know if it is him or the circumstances.

To be far . . Morey had to have a WIN NOW mentality for the last 5 yrs or so
    Tanking was not an option
    Les was not big on waiting

I like the young talent we have acquired.
    I have high hopes for next season
    but
    Silas will have to answer THE WALL QUESTION
    I think Wall is a fine player but not for a rebuilding team
    I dunno who is the NEXT BIG STUD in the draft but I hope we grab him
    Let's say it is CABE

KPJ + Cabe + Tate + Wood <--- this is a solid foundation
    Nwaba/KMj/Brown/DJ Wilson?
    This is a team that can GROW together

Rocket River

Denovo and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

He IS a losing coach.

You are what your record says you are.

amaru, CVcrew and ashleyem like this.
  11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yeah it would be hard to imagine someone getting dealt a worse hand at the start. and at this point, the best players on the team don't care or are waiting to be traded and the young guys aren't there yet so everyone has just kind of given up. silas may or may not be a good coach, but it's pointless to evaluate him based off this year.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

if only some of those 3's had been mid-rangers, we would be on a 19 game winning streak. silas you fool!

harold bingo likes this.
  13. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Silas will get thrown under the bus for some of the blame no matter how little at fault he actually is.

He is letting the season play out, which may become his biggest fault down the line. As the team improves bigger names may actually want the job and the management may point to his win loss record as a reason to let him go.

The best thing he needs to do is show, that he out coach people to win close games if not this year, then in many cases next year.

We can just basically concide that we are tanking this year to increase the odds of keeping our pick at the expense of Stephen Silas reputation as a coach. Next year especially if we keep our pick, will be the development of KPJ and KMJ. Also, things like lineup decisions and overall in game adjustments.

14. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

No way we should've lost to that team at home. Nothing matters this year other than ping pong balls, so I'm not saying Silas should be fired or anything like that. I'm just saying this game is a black mark against him.

bballjunkie, ashleyem and D-rock like this.
  15. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Problem is Silas is making loads of coaching 101 errors. We're outscored close to 100% of the time in the 3rd quarter indicating the opposing coaches adjustments are far better. He has allowed players to shoot from positions they are historically bad from literally hundreds of times.

Even an average NBA coach would have won at least some games over the last 20 game losing streak. I would also point out during this streak we've also been losing by historic margins as well.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still cannot hang your head and breakdown publicly.

That's a career ender look.

CVcrew, ashleyem and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

What do you want him to do? Give the same answer 20 post-game conferences in a row?

The dude isn't a robot. Not acting like he did today would draw different criticisms from people, like "why was Silas so upbeat in today's presser? He's lost 20 games in a row, so I guess he doesn't care anymore!!"

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

He had many ways to do presser AND still project professionalism AND confidence.

He did the the ONE thing he should NOT have done.

And this isn't the first time he's done this, it's just the worst he's looked.

ashleyem and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  19. kentuckyalum

kentuckyalum Member

It isn't gonna even matter if we get Cade because we'll still be awful as long as Silas is coach. Yes, he's been dealt a trash hand this year. But the roster isn't bad enough to lose 20+ in a row. He's just not a NBA coach.

D-rock and ashleyem like this.
  20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Even EG throwing shade at Silas (joking)

D-rock likes this.