1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony buzbee filing lawsuit against Deshaun Watson? Hints at mistreating women

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 16, 2021.

1. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I'm really interested in the evidence that they have.

If Watson was video taped without permission, is that permissible in court?

If there was bodily fluid, could Rusty make a case for natural discharge during a massage?

Was Watson sexting the woman or any similar communication?

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Texas is a one party consent state so yes, admissible. Even if it wasn’t though, that doesn’t mean it you have to discount that in the court of public opinion.

You talk about evidence, but the statements of 20+ women is pretty damning evidence. And “natural discharge during massage” sounds like some defense lawyer type bs that I’ve never heard of. People are trying really hard to find reasons to disbelieve the allegations because of who the accused is.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's worse than that. The poster you quoted assumed he was guilty, deduced what type of evidence would exist assuming guilt, and then wanted to know what strategy his lawyer could use to make that evidence not hurt Watson.

4. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Yup you're right. From a legal standpoint, I am really interested in how Rusty will defend Watson. Its pretty obvious to most that Watson was looking for more than a massage by contacting people on Instagram. Rusty's job IMO is to not only prove Watson's innocence but to also repair his public image to some extent. This appears to be a very difficult task considering what we've already heard from Buzbee. Unfortunately for Hardin, he's in a pretty big pit.

5. SamCassell

I’m a trial lawyer but it’s hard for me to find interest in what tactics the defense lawyer may use to defend his client. This isn’t Roger Clemens and steroids allegations. It’s a bunch of alleged victims of very serious charges. I’m only interested in the truth coming out and justice being done.

cmoak1982 and thedreamsteam like this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

his attorney also could have told him to delete it.

7. likestohypeguy

ie if you're thinking about agreeing to that settlement offer, better do it by monday.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They aren’t trying hard. It’s because they tried to get money first rather than seeking justice. You know why people are being skeptical.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You'd think after striking out with 22 women who had never been propositioned before while massaging a man that Watson would have found another tactic to get whacked off.

Uprising and BigShasta like this.
  10. SamCassell

I get skepticism about one accuser. But damn near two dozen? They’re all lying? It would of course be better if they came forward immediately. If the criminal investigation preceded the civil lawsuit. But there are many women who stay silent and then join in when someone else makes the first allegation. They are literally saying, “me too.” It’s hard to be a victim going thru a criminal case, especially sexual charges. Defense lawyer is gonna put them on trial. One way or the other, I expect the truth will come to light.

Nook and Red.Glare like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Once again...nothing about any of this makes any sense whatsoever from any side.

Only Houston, and especially the Texans, could pull this level of ridiculousness off. Astros? Just a trash can. Rockets? Tillman laughs. Texans? HELL YEAH!

We should all be proud.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

two dozen have criminal allegations against him?

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

truth

14. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

At this point all Watson can do is see this through to the end. There are already folks out there that are convinced he's guilty, and if he settles to keep this out of court this will just further convince more people. If he didn't do anything the damage has been done, if he did his career and possibly life are done for.

jiggyfly and ferrari77 like this.
  15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'm well aware of the reasons behind taking a case to civil court vs criminal as well as the difference in standards to meet.
    I'm saying, it's just odd that not a single one tried to get criminal charges filed or just even reported the incident(s) to the local police...who then declined to file charges against Cosby.

Cosby is a bad example. Even in Cosbys case, yes most of the women mainly just told a friend or reporter and left it alone until Hannibal made it more of a story and all the women started coming out with their stories of what occurred with them and Cosby...but there were still a couple of women over the decades in which Cosby acted reprehensibly, that actually reported his behavior and actions towards them to the local police.

What I'm saying has zero to do with having a chance in court but what most people would do. They'd tell a friend or family member. Someone would recommend taking it to the police and some would, some wouldn't.

Nevertheless it's also silly to me to think one wouldn't have a chance in court because of how people respond on an online forum. If one has evidence of wrong doing, in this era of "Me too", there is greater reason and a little less weight in coming forward with allegations of harassment and/or assault imo.

So once again, I'm not saying "i'll know they're telling the truth if they would have tried to get the case to criminal court". No. Just did they report the incident to the local police and try to get charges filed? If not then why not? I would imagine that should be the first step and when the local police decline to press charges then one goes the civil route, taken into consideration the lack of charges and the standard of evidence needed to convict.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

His image is done for the foreseeable future. Rusty's job is pretty much to prove his innocence because there is nothing he can do to repair that. Even coming out on top in this civil case won't repair Deshaun's image. Contacting various masseuses (all female apparently) for massages and having inappropriate incidents with one or some or all? Even if it's just harassment based on his requesting something specific as opposed to actual assault, that's just damning for his image. We can go back to Kobe and what it took for him to repair his image. Winning is up high on the list(as well as staying out of trouble) and time is the other thing imo.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Remember when @Trader_Jorge was talking about how we need to be nicer to Easterby because he was just a character coach and the medi was turning us against him? How he was a great character coach because the Texans had such good character and didn’t get in trouble?

so can we fire Easterby now for failing at his job?

Dubious likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Not saying anything about Watson's situation, but these questions have been asked and answered about 10,000 times in the past decade, and at least a dozen times in this very thread.

Nook likes this.
  19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Serious question but, is it? Legally? It would seem like for each individual case it's mostly a matter of he said, she said with little to no physical evidence that something occurred. I'm not saying that nothing happened, but can they prove it happened? That's why people are wondering what actual evidence might be out there like text messages and such.

Legally speaking, can you factor in other allegations in separate cases and use that as evidence? Or would a judge/jury only be able to consider the facts of each individual case?

I know a lot of cases don't have physical evidence but eyewitness testimony from multiple people is sufficient. But does it work the same way if the only witness in each individual case is the alleged victim, but multiple women are alleging the same thing?

That seems a little problematic. If, for example, 10 women accused a man of sexual assault and 9 were telling the truth and 1 was lying. Could the true testimony of the 9 women be used to convict the man in the 10th case or is there a larger burden of proof?

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I don't know why he failed to learn from the mistakes of others such as Weinstein, Cosby, etc.

Nice enough looking, Fame and plenty of $$$$$, so should have been able to come up with something nice.