1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Silas the worst nba head coach in NBA history?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 19, 2021.

1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Agreed, I was personally supportive of rehiring JVG. The team would have been wise to pursue promoting Kelvin Sampson while he was an assistant, although he may not have been interested.

Silas imo is impossible to evaluate fairly because he walked into a sh*t storm as a first year coach, given the instability John Lucas would have been a better option simply because he could manage the psychology of the team and at least not completely lose the locker room.

In hindsight, Silas was a strange hire, almost meant to appease both the Lucas and Van Gundy camps without making either content.

It could also be Silas is just a great assistant who doesn’t have HC chops. Similar to John Lucas or Romeo Crenel.

BallSoHarden, ashleyem and bj3175 like this.
  2. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I Like Silas but I think you are spot on. Silas cant coach a champion but he will do well as a starter coach for the young bloods.

groovemachine likes this.
  3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't even know why we have a coach right now. When you talking you don't even need to pay for one. Save Tillman some money.

If I was Tillman I'd do a random drawing of the first 1000 fans in the stadium. One person gets to coach the team for the day. Get the fans to show up on time.

D-rock, amaru, napalm06 and 1 other person like this.
  4. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I wonder if you will say the same thing after 5 years and we are still absolutely miserable and in the tank.

D-rock likes this.
  5. hakeemthagreat

Wood is our team's star, statistically. But given our roster, no coach in the nba would have this team any better. I wish some of you were as hard on Morey as you are Silas

ballplayer likes this.
  6. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I don't think it's impossible to evaluate Silas. He did well early season in spite of volatility and all of the off-court stuff. He had a subpar team winning against better opponents.

Having said that, even though we all knew it wasn't going to last, I don't think any of us saw this coming. In this 19 game stretch he has struggled some nights to have this team motivated. There are too many on-court miscues for a team at this level. The free throw shooting remains abysmal, especially from players at positions who should be able to capably hit 80%+. He hasn't adjusted his game plan to shoot less threes in spite of how terrible this team is at shooting them. He has been stubborn with rotations. Yes, it's his first year, but it's not like there were no winnable games, and part of that is definitely on him.

amaru, napalm06, ashleyem and 3 others like this.
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

This is the biggest problem in a nutshell. I don’t care if the team goes 22-60 next year IF they are motivated, engaged, and the young guys are developing. But the lack of urgency by a team on a historic losing streak makes one think Silas deserves to be on the hot seat sooner rather than later.

amaru, HorryForThree and ashleyem like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If he got secret orders from above to tank, Idk.

I always feel bad for coaches that were brought in before a rebuild/tank

9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Well, he's definitely working with the FO, and I'm sure the FO has had him giving minutes to Ben, Dipo, and Wall when he's wanted to hand things over to better performing or younger players. My guess is we'll see Wall shut down here shortly to get his knee scoped which he reportedly needs. After the trade deadline we should see a lot of the younger guys getting minutes - KPJ, Tate, Martin Jr, and Wilson should all get plenty of court time.

saleem likes this.
  10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

After experiencing The Clap aka McHale, why would anyone question if Silas is the worst coach in History? Mchale had legit Allstars/Superstars and did nothing. This guy at least seems to have a plan. Not his fault we have a bunch of players who can only hit a 3 if they were playing NBA 2k.
    Silas isn't perfect but he does have a brain. Mchale needed a bucket to hold his drool and a helmet.

chadyang and BMoney like this.
  11. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Does nobody realize that this team isn't competing. Winning is not a priority right now.

SWTsig likes this.
  12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Well to be fair, the game was rough in the 80’s, he took a lot of elbows to the melon. :D

He was a mediocre HC tho, it seems role players make better coaches than stars ... generally

13. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

You know I'll admit I haven't bothered to watch much of the games recently. But one thing that seems to be different about this year compared to the early 2000s years of mediocrity and sucking (particularly in that year Francis was out with headaches), was those Rockets teams, as I remember it, were competitive in the sense that the common themes of those squads were frustrating 4th quarter collapses.

This 2021 team just doesn't look competitive. At all. Big picture is it doesn't matter since this is a throwaway year, there were a ton of injuries and "injuries" in addition to the roster turnover.

I'll lean more towards this roster being "bad by design" (at least with how the roster management has been with which players end up playing), but Oladipo was supposed to shine.

On paper this team should be decently competitive, so perhaps in the end it's "luck" that the parts don't fit (or the coaching is abysmal), so long as Oladipo nets positive trade returns and the Rockets manage to keep their top-4 pick.

14. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

Short training camp and players constantly being added/removed from injury report is a big reason why we're not seeing Silas doing well now. On top of that, the Rockets should be tanking at this point, so I'm not concerned at all with how this season is going. Give him a full roster next season and then re-evaluate.

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Role players spend more time on the bench next to the coach. Stars are out playing.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Silas is a rookie coach that has a completely different team than he had going into the season. He has dealt with trades and injuries and players that didn’t want to be on the team.

I don’t think he is a fundamental, structured grinder/teacher in the way Riley was, or Van Gundy or Larry Brown. He doesn’t have his guys all on the same page the way someone like Popovich does and I don’t think he has a certain value system or style like MDA or Thibs.

The Rockets largely look like individuals playing street ball or waiting around for their turn to shoot. They lack focus and structure. Those are all concerns I have about the quality of leader and coaching ability Silas has.

Watch the Wolves with Finch, he is putting players in position to succeed and he has a knowledge and understanding of the game that I don’t see with Silas. Same with Nurse with the Raptors.

Regardless, Silas IS a rookie coach with one of the most difficult rosters in the league to coach. He also has demonstrated some strengths. He will stand up to top players, he is able to keep a strong chemistry with his teams as well.

He deserves another year to see how it goes. Let’s see if he develops some of the younger players.

If the leadership and “program” isn’t there in a year, then I am sure we will hear names like Van Gundy and possible Brad Stevens as replacements.

D-rock, amaru, Rockets4Life13 and 3 others like this.
  17. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

^ everything he said. Not sure why people are bombarding him. Prior to hiring I thought he'd be a good candidate. His father's tutelage plus the mavs experience. It's unfortunate the roster got nuked. And the clear reality. It's better for the rockets to have a bottom 4 record for futures.

BamBam, Nook, SWTsig and 2 others like this.
  18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

seasoned GM meets rookie coach

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It blows my mind that some of y'all are trying to assess Silas's coaching ability based off of this season with this roster.

RustyHarden and SWTsig like this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

Silas might just earn a reputation as a losing coach at this rate.

RustyHarden and Nook like this.