1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ Tucker traded to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Mar 17, 2021.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This is a good point. Augustin may be a good trade piece next season as an expiring contributor to a playoff team next season that won't break the bank.

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, how dare I have a sense of humor, and you rush to condemn - lol....it is what I expect of you.

I just hope that we get lucky with the big man coming in, we need big men.

DD

#522 DaDakota, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    jim1961 likes this.
  3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Nothing is assured but I think 2023 is a better gamble then 2022 for both of those things.

joshuaao, jim1961, Patience and 2 others like this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Herro for Oladipo is a pipe dream.

Although it really shouldn't be. Oladipo is light years ahead both offensively and defensively.

5. futilman

futilman Member

LAL fan? I'd rather die. But objectively, THT is WAY more promising than DJ Wilson as an asset. He's shown way more promise in short spurts than Wilson has shown in his short spurts, but THT is 20 and Wilson is 25. All we gained is a 4-6 slot jump this year and a backup PG

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. foggy94

foggy94 Member

With House possibly being moved, Tuck now gone and Exum expiring this year, having Augustin’s salary next year could be important in trades.

joshuaao, D-rock, FrontRunner and 2 others like this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Christian Wood and Sterling Brown were teammates with DJ Wilson at Milwaukee.

Only they know if DJ Wilson is good or not.

8. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I hope you’re right bro... I was basing that info off what @Nook had been saying about it..

D-rock and eliefor3 like this.
  9. finsraider

finsraider Member

There is a decent enough chance that one of Brooklyn or Milwaukee have collapsed by 2023. All of the Nets big 3 will have been free agents. JRue is a free agent this summer.

Pull for Philly to become a dynasty.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

No that is not all the rockets got. Come on people put your thinking caps on a bit. The chances the bucks are worse in 2023 then next year is much better, rapid they don’t make the finals this season or next that would be Giannas’ 10th year there in 2023. That year you also have a chance of having high school players in the draft instantly making it deeper by 7-10 players. It gives you another season to see how all the picks are developing this year (as of now 3 1st total) it brings out the date to a later point when the rockets roster is more to the point where they could potentially make a big trade and Wall’s contract is almost done and more tradable. For me that’s worth is for someone that scores 0 points on a regular occasion.

ilias, Easy, cmlmel77 and 2 others like this.
  11. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I’m generally on board with the return from the PJ Tucker deal. The Rockets found him a tremendous landing spot where he can compete for a championship and acquired significantly more draft capital back than I think most people were expecting. Try reading this Athletic article dropped right before the trade from five different NBA team reporters and not to throw up in your mouth:

https://theathletic.com/2457115/202...s-get-from-nets-heat-sixers-bucks-and-lakers/

For those without a subscription, the hypothetical “writers-offers” were:

Nets: Dinwiddie/(Claxton or Shamet)/Second Rounder for PJ and KJ Martin

Miami: KZ Okpala/Moe Harkless/Bradley/Second Rounder for PJ

Milwaukee: Connaughton/Wilson/Craig/Second Rounder for PJ

Lakers: Matthews/McKinnie/Dudley/Second Rounder for PJ and KJ Martin

Sixers: Trade Exception/Korkmaz/Second Rounder for PJ

FYI, Hollinger proposed the Miami deal, which seems to be very close to what the Rockets asked for and didn't get. Shocking that an actual former VP of Basketball Ops understood the market better than these other writers.

Looking back at recent trades over the past 5 years, there seems to be a noticeable difference between a high second rounder and a low first rounder in terms of trade value. A first rounder has not been exchanged for only cash considerations since Patient Zero himself, Rudy Gobert, in 2013. Additionally, by trading away a very late first rounder, you’re often able to get a future lottery-protected pick back, allowing you to add even more value by being patient. Ultimately, the Rockets need to create about 3-4 premium assets to be competitive the next time a generational player becomes available in trade. Being able to upgrade existing assets rather than going for quantity of assets makes a ton of sense based on the current stage of the rebuild.

2020 Draft

#24 RJ Hampton for Lottery Protected 2023 First Rounder

#30 Desmond Bane for 2023 and 2025 Second Rounders

#38 Saben Lee & Tony Bradley ($3.5M) for Cash

2019 Draft

#27 Mfiondu Kabengele for Lottery Protected 2020 First Rounder

#30 Kevin Porter Jr for 4 Second Rounders

#32 KZ Okpala for 3 Second Rounders

#37 Deividas Sirvydis for #45 and 2 Second Rounders

#39 Alen Smailagic for 2 Second Rounders

2018 Draft

#34 Devonte’ Graham for 2 Second Rounders

#37 Gary Trent Jr. for 2 Second Rounders

#38 Khyri Thomas for 2 Second Rounders

2017 Draft

#25 Anzejs Pasencniks for a top-20 protected first rounder and a Second Rounder

#31 Frank Jackson for #40 and cash

#35 Ivan Rabb for a future Second Rounder

#38 Jordan Bell for cash considerations

2016 Draft

#31 Deyonta Davis and #35 Rade Zagorac for a future first rounder.

#33 Cheick Diallo for #39 and #40

#38 Patrick McCaw for cash considerations

D-rock, Easy and The Cat like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sam Presti in June of 2019: "The very slight possibility that Harden chooses to force his way out in two years makes their 2021 first-round pick a late one. Ah, what the f$#k, let's go for it. Superstars are notoriously fickle."

#532 topfive, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  13. futilman

futilman Member

1) Bucks worse in 23 based on what? Giannis will be 28. If they lose Jrue and PJ this offseason to FA (serious possibility with so much cap room out there and few FAs), they'll be way worse in 22 and no cap room to improve. they gain cap room after next year and could more easily improve in '22 free agency.
    2) I've heard for 3 years that 2022 is the double draft. Now we have a chance in 23 based on?????? If 23 is double draft then this is an awesome deal but you don't get points for an unknown maybe
    3) THT still way better than DJ based on current info

mikenm268 and peleincubus like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Based on him being there a 10th year and not going to the finals. When teams are top 1-10 for several years and don’t do anything with it they often dissolve into their best player wanting to leave or mediocrity because they are disillusioned from past seasons. By no means am I saying this is close to being certain. But it’s a better chance that year then next. There is a chance HS players are in the draft. These are chances, sorry if it can’t all be certainty for you. But again Tucker is ancient and that’s what you get. You move into the first round of a strong draft and you get a higher probability of the pick being better in 2023 and more in line when the rockets will have cap room than next year.

15. macan

macan Member

PJ the shoe-ru Tucker has become one of Rockets legends.
    thanks for all the hard work you put out there.

D-rock, vince and FrontRunner like this.
  16. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Augustin has a lot of value in my opinion. Veteran PG presence is going to be crucial with KPJ if Wall is moved or misses more games. I also think he's a nice player for any team needing a backup pg right now. Contract is reasonable and only has one year left. Expanding this to 3 way trade and moving him with other pieces now (possibly to the heat) to another team that will need to fill guard minutes does make a lot of sense.

D-rock and Houston77 like this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I
    I don't think it really is.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Well said PJ. Good luck in MIL, I'll be pulling for you guys to beat Nets and Philly!

Easy likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So If Giannis loses this year and next year, you think he will stay with the bucks for year 3?

Call me crazy, but I think Giannis is on the clock and the Bucks are getting desperate.

joshuaao and cmlmel77 like this.
  20. futilman

futilman Member

I'm with you on most of that. I just think there's a pretty good chance that Jrue and PJ walk and a cap-strapped MIL team struggles to find new talent this offseason, leading to a meaningful step back next season ahead of the 22 draft. They have more cap space in summer 22 and could be a much better team by summer 23, reducing value of our pick. Also, isn't there still a chance that 22 is the double draft?

However, if 23 is finally double draft, this is a great move. I could also see a world where Wall is the best they can get this offseason after losing Jrue