1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

PJ Tucker traded to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Mar 17, 2021.

1. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Yes I’ll happily take 2 first round picks for PJ Tucker.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I read this thread in it’s entirety and I’m amazed (as usual) of how the majority of fans are able to judge the trade as a Saturday evening quarterback. We truly won’t know if Stone botched the PJ Tucker trade until further down the road after seeing how the two new DJ’s play with the Rockets and what Stone does with the picks involved in the trade.

A general observation of the trade:
    1.) Tucker traded to a contender- Should make half of CF’s happy.

2.) Stone converted a 2nd into a 1st. - The more 1st you have the better chance of getting an impact player in the draft or through a trade.

3.) We get a former 1st in Wilson - I know he hasn’t lived up to his potential, but he’s 6’10” and relatively young at 25yr old.

4.) We get Augustin - Hopefully we’re able to parlay him into a 2nd in a future trade. If not he’ll be viewed as an expiring next season at the trade deadline.

I’m not disappointed by the trade, and I’m not blown away by it either... hopefully it’s a stepping stone in the right direction.

Hopefully PJ gets a ring with the Bucks (After the Rockets)....;)

#KeepTankAlive
    Go Rockets!!!

#442 BamBam, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Shark44, Rashmon, sydmill and 8 others like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think this is evidence that PJ getting bought out was a serious threat. In that case, I'm glad Stone worked his tail off to be creative here and at least get something out of moving PJ to a contender.

Some points:

A. On a rebuilding team, do not discount the value of a veteran PG presence on the floor to help the young players be successful in game play. I'm okay with having the older DJ locked up for a couple years if we have to keep him.
    B. Might be a sign too that John Wall could be on the move at some point.. maybe not till this Summer though, and his health will have alot to do with that. I think he played well enough when healthy to be movable without shedding assets.
    C. DJ Wilson is exactly the type of player Stone needs to be flooding this team with. Young, long, athletic, and cheep. Try to get as many Robert Covington, and Christian Woods that you can... before they find their stride in the NBA, and BEFORE they get paid.
    D. The draft pick situation is neat. It's not the value you'd normal get for a PJ Tucker but again... there was a serious threat of Tillman's cheap a$$ overruling Stone, and biting on a buyout to save a buck.

joshuaao, hakeem94, mikenm268 and 5 others like this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

my pool comes from everyone that's available period. you made it a selective range as if that's all you can get. that's now how it works

the point is people need to stop acting like moving up like 5 spots is some amazing feat and the difference between getting an amazing player. It isn't. The deal was mediocre and nothing special

#445 YOLO, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    mikenm268 and Nook like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

you sure do spell Tilman funny.

Nook likes this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

My favorite part of this thread is when you were like, "See, guys, even Clutch agrees with me!" Then when Clutch changed his tune, you were all like, "Whatever, what does Clutch even know."

hakeem94 and ElPigto like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

didn't think you need rocket science to figure that out

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

did i say what does clutch even know? My stance hasn't changed. you might do that. I don't

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You might be exaggerating to make a point. We could be moving up 5 spots or 9 spots or whatever. When Stone calls a team, he can offer that extra first round pick. Many teams have tried to scooch up in a draft just a few spots and can't, then miss out on the player they want.

The 2023 pick might be the more valuable one, in any case.

hakeem94 and jcmoon like this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

We got two new DJs. Halftime should be lit.

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and dobro1229 like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's nothing exaggerating about it. you moved from early second round to late first. That's it. The word "first" has folks all dramatic. but with actual context it isn't much difference

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

OK, so here it is:

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

so where does it say for me, what does clutch know

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This is a great trade for an aging role player.

At any point over the next 2 years Giannis could decide he doesn't feel like being there anymore. The 23 pick could get real good real quick. No guarantee of course, but it's a really good calculated choice to give Giannis more time to get disgruntled IMO

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Tillman is exactly the reason why I think Stone had to jump on... or work his butt off to create... a very mediocre deal that probably helps the other team out more than it does help the Rockets. I mean if you look at this from the Milwaukee angle, Stone really helped them out ALOT.

But the threat was that Tillman would be sweet talked into saving a couple bucks in a buyout. That's why Stone had to jump on something like this.

I don't think Stone has been proven to be a bad GM yet by any stretch.... but I do think his ability to project and predict is still showing signs of not quite being there which is what makes great GM's great. The fact is Stone should have traded PJ Tucker simultaneously with Harden, or maybe even before the Harden trade. After Harden was traded, and the team went into tank mode, Stone lost a hell of alot of leverage to get value for PJ, and some of the other players as well that would need to be moved after the Harden trade. If he wants to be considered a great GM, projection & predictions need to improve, and he needs to make moves before everyone else can see the chips on the table.

Little Bit, slothy420 and YOLO like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He'll grow antlers and be the defensive buck they need.

DreamShook, hakeem94 and jcmoon like this.
  18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I’m not ready to jump for joy about the total net return in this deal, it was a pretty solid trade. Augustin is a solid vet. Wilson is worth a flyer for a couple of months.

The distinction in the exchange of 2021 draft picks is more than just “moving up a few spots”. The first round rookie scale structure of late first rounders is much more advantageous under the current CBA, which raised the minimum salary. It also means they don’t need to tap into their MLE to pay an early second rounder (or risk him taking a one-year required tender then hitting free agency the next year), leaving more flexibility in free agency.

For me, the biggest potential benefit of this trade could be if 2023 (as has long been speculated) ends up being the infamous “double draft”, when high schoolers are once again draft-eligible. If so, kicking that MIL pick to 2023 could net the Rockets a MUCH higher upside pick, even if the actual pick isn’t that high.

just my two cents.

Shark44, slothy420, Icehouse and 14 others like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

we certainly need to watch spending under this ownership and the ever lasting LTS. that's very true

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

DJ WIlson flier looks interesting but I'm not holding my breath.

Looks like he could be the next McClemore (never improving his game outside his 3%)