1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ Tucker traded to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It's an upgrade if high schoolers are eligible that draft.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Do you think they are still shopping since it's not finalized?

D-rock likes this.
  3. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Yes lol

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Which is nothing more than wishful thinking and mental hoops

Nook likes this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Damn, we robbed them. Morey would never get a deal like this.

chadyang likes this.
  6. Spooner

Spooner Member

So many people crying that we didn't get enough for a disgruntled soon to be 36 year old player.

I would have taken DJ Wilson and a 2nd rounder for PJ.

I think in 2023 the Bucks at least are more likely to be bad. A lot can happen in a year as we know.

Also moving up in this year's draft. Whats not to like?

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Same! He’s the quintessential backup point guard. Good game manager

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Thanks, @J.R.

That was a good listen. Bobby Marks really explained to me just how brilliant this trade is. Without giving them their 2022 FRP, they were not eligible to trade their 2023 or 2021. So now we'll get a better chance for a little help this year and a better chance at getting more help later as well.

Getting a first rounder has a built in contract that's guaranteed. I have no desire to draft a Parsons type guy that is aiming for some monster contract after a few years. I prefer the built in three year contract at a low level and they're a RFA after that ends. Great job by Stoner. We are truly in the Stoner Age now!

[​IMG]

Corrosion, J.R., BamBam and 8 others like this.
  9. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

The MIL 2022 was also unprotected, so yes it’s a slight net positive to move that back a year, but this is really a minimal return. I don’t know why I should be significantly more excited about rooting against age 28 peak Giannis than rooting against age 27 peak Giannis.

Is trading up this year from pick 33 to pick 26 better than the second round pick or two that I was expecting for Tucker? Maybe, I don’t know. With that small of an upgrade, getting a decent player is probably more about scouting than picking 6-8 spots higher anyway. So this is pretty underwhelming unless Wilson is better than expected.

Nook and Mr Woods like this.
  10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Come on HP, you are better than this. Before the season started we still had Harden. There was still slim chance we’d keep Harden if we couldn’t get a good return. NO WAY we traded PJ back then. Hindsight is always 20/20.

11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Exactly, PJ was originally supposed to go out in the Harden deal. If this team had any foresight they would have seen at the time to get the most value for him and other players was to move them immediately. Instead they bought early into this retool instead of rebuild team after you lose your coach, GM, Brodie and Beard in a span of a couple of months. Any team going through that upheaval is not worth recovering if someone named Jordan is not left on the team. It is going to be devastating and there is no way the pieces remaining fit in the future plans. If everybody had stayed healthy they could have struggled to 30-40 wins IF everything went right but that was the ceiling. It should always have been about blowing it up as quickly as possible before it dies on the vine.

sydmill, napalm06 and D-rock like this.
  12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This trade hasn't been consummated yet. There's still a chance it could be expanded to include another team to whom Augustin could be redirected.

But if it gets consummated, then yes, Augustin cannot be aggregated with other salary. Could still move him alone without too many cap hurdles.

Or, the Rockets could just hang onto Augustin, who will provide some credibility to a lineup without many true ballhandlers.

jcmoon, Hui, amaru and 8 others like this.
  13. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

are people actually complaining that we got a net first round (late) pick for washed up PJ? can't be serious.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I completely understand why @Nook feels that way he does. But the real problem is that the FO is being handcuffed by ownership because of his pettiness and low basketball IQ.

As a fan I worry about Rockets long term and short term success.

An organization's culture is akin to Trickle Down Economics.

Shet rolls downhill.

But Stone is making moves for the future, that is undeniable.

The question is how sustainable will it all be if owner continues to make basketball decisions based on saving money.

#354 D-rock, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    pugsly8422, Deuce, luckyman76 and 3 others like this.
  15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Wood himself is definitely a top 5 pick. So, yeah

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

We didn’t get a net first round pick. We moved up what will probably wind up being 8 spots in the draft, from the low 30’s to the high 20’s. Yes, that is nice, but it isn’t much. Maybe not worth new second round pick, which was the low end of what many ‘experts’ thought we’d get.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Have you seen how Stone drafts? He's OP

mikenm268 likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

We got nothing... at the end of the day we took on Augustine’s contract commitment to move up from the top of the second round to the bottom of the first round... and some think that top of the second rounders are better than bottom of the first rounders anyway because of contractual reasons.

We don’t even need Augustine as we already have Wall and Porter and would be better off developing a young player if we wanted another back up point guard.

WE GOT NOTHING FROM THIS TRADE.

Would have been arguably better off just releasing Tucker.

luckyman76, Mr Woods and HP3 like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Two second rounders would be better than what the Rockets got in this trade.

luckyman76, kevcai and HP3 like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean, yea I was saying the same thing. Keep Harden, keep PJ, dont trade them. I was very very wrong. I feel like...if it was gonna come to this, maybe we should have just traded PJ first you know? Its not like....a horrible trade, we got what we got, I just think maybe we could have done it better had we not sat on this situation. The moment Harden was traded was when we should have traded PJ, maybe even before then.