1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Ringer] Rockets Golden Era of Draft Protections

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Mar 17, 2021.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I miss this. A lot. Also... should have demanded reverse draft pick protection from Brooklyn...

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/3/17/22335035/nba-trade-deadline-first-pick-protection

Morey may not have invented pick protections, but he is instrumental in understanding its impact on the modern NBA landscape. Trading draft picks, and the ways in which they are conveyed today, has become a small outlet of creative expression born of the constraints imposed by the league. Morey has stood at the vanguard in that respect, molding the conceptual value of draft picks like a glassblower. In 2012, Morey and his Rockets front-office team introduced the concept of reverse lottery protection: guaranteeing that the recipient is given a lottery pick, rather than guaranteeing that a pick landing in the top 14 stays with the sender. The trade, between Houston and Toronto, in hindsight, was a monumental win-win. The Raptors landed Kyle Lowry, now considered the greatest player in franchise history; the Rockets netted a lottery pick that would become the linchpin of their trade for James Harden. “The reverse protection of the pick was to create a great asset in hopes of using it in a trade,” Morey said. “Now, did we know that James Harden would be available in a trade three months later? No, absolutely not. We were just trying to set up our asset base for the future.”

Other potential innovations to the art of pick protection didn’t quite make the cut. In an episode of The Woj Pod last year, current Sacramento Kings GM Monte McNair recalled a fascinating proposal during his time in the Rockets’ analytics department, made before the Lowry trade. The Rockets had three picks in the 2012 NBA draft: no. 12, no. 16, and no. 18. Prior to the draft lottery, Houston got in touch with Golden State about its draft pick, which was likely to land at no. 7, but had the potential to move up. The Rockets offered their no. 16 pick for the Warriors’ pick, as long as it stayed at no. 7. If it moved up, the Warriors would essentially receive the Rockets’ no. 16 pick for free. “Ultimately, both teams got a little scared,” McNair said. “That was a little crazy.”

Morey has also proposed roulette-style pre-lottery trades: If the pick lands on an odd number, it goes to one team; if the pick is an even number, it goes to the other. None of those has made it to a trade call—yet. “I’m always trying to grease the wheels of transactions, because I think it helps teams that are run aggressively,” he said.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Necessity is the mother of invention. Morey needed to get uber creative without those top picks. lol

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Morey is the father of draft pick derivatives contracts.

That digital option on Warrior’s pick, damn.

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think one stands in the vanguard, not at, and the metaphor with glassblowing doesn't really work (is there really a vanguard of glassblowers?). I think he meant forefront.

but otherwise, would read again.

topfive likes this.
  5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Especially when you consider that it was Royce White who we chose. Would have been fine losing that.

Dacamel likes this.
  6. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

pretty sure usage goes both ways. i actually see "at vanguard" more than "in," and my professional reading is one where that phrase shows up a lot for some reason.

basso likes this.
  7. basso

Supporting Member

one assumes your professional reading is not about glassblowing.

lkrockets likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

#bewell

9. gotsis

gotsis Member

Awesome article. Too bad about some of the restrictions, it would be entertaining if teams could create riskier more volatile assets attaching conditions to picks.

Example: imagine a team could trade a number 1 future pick, with no time constraints. "The next time we get a number 1 pick, it's yours" kind of deal.

Could be in 2 years or 30 years. That would be crazy.

Wulaw Horn and RedIsen like this.
  10. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Sounds fun. I'd be curious to see what pieces get moved in that kind of trade. I'm assuming it'd be a similar situation the Rockets went through in trading a MVP level player and starting a rebuild. Would drive fans crazy though. Like some franchises haven't picked #1 since the 70's and 80's. Waiting 40+ years for a pick to convey sounds like true sports fanaticism.

gotsis and peleincubus like this.
  11. basso

Supporting Member

uber, but draft picks as NFTs.