1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dipo upset?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

no!

Rocket River

Deuce, Nook and amaru like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, and it has nothing to do with the city and everything to do with ownership and the current condition of the franchise.

The Rockets CAN sign non elite free agents if they sign them to above market contracts.

The team really just needs to stay on track and let the rebuild happen over the next few years... there is no reason to over pay for good but not great players. Use the draft as a tool to get star players, and develop other young players.

CVcrew, Deuce, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

To be clear, I do NOT want the Rockets to take this tact, but I have a bad feeling it isn't that far fetched.

saleem and amaru like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

All of those teams either have better young talent or are clearly better teams.... shouldn't be a surprise as we are just beginning our rebuild.

amaru likes this.
  5. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Dipo is barreling down the Latrell Sprewell path. Not saying he will never play again but I am saying after turning down the rockets contract he is going to find he is not going to get much more than that on the open market unless a small market overpays for him.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

Exactly they are going to have to draft an all-star or luck into another Harden situation.

Nook and saleem like this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

It’s definitely not surprising but sometimes it’s good to let go of the false hope and acknowledge the ugly reality.

Nook and saleem like this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Rockets dodged a massive bullet on that one when he turned down the extension. Then again, I was super wrong in thinking anyone would have paid Gordon Hayward $25+ mil a year last offseason and am still eating crow for it today :)

saleem likes this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

We, meaning the Rockets have to get something for him. The allusive but often gathered TPE supposedly will be used this time....sadly its
    a seller's market this season. What bad timing.

As you mentioned, team acquiring Dipo needs to see him as a star and think they can convince him to stay. Knicks or Mavs are the two that come to my mind.

10. riko

riko Member

So everyone quitting?

ak99999 and saleem like this.
  11. riko

riko Member

He is the Celtics Feigan

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Knicks came to my mind. What do you think they might be willing to give up in return for him? I'm not very good with cap stuff. How can the Rockets acquire a 21 M TPE, if they have to take back similar contracts? I know they have a 10 M TPE right now, but TPE's can't be combined.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. riko

riko Member

Those picks better be good because this trade is not looking great

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. Salvy

Salvy Member

Lmao I knew exactly what you would say before even reading, good job... Pushing that activism hard...

How many great players/all stars wanted to play here during Les Alexander? Bosh? Carmelo? LeBron?.... We lucked out on Harden and then what? Howard? Paul and who else wanted to come here? I mean at some point we were excited we signed Jeremy Lin..... Stap with the fake news, you are not CNN.... No one has ever wanted to play here.

J.R. likes this.
  15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think we are going to learn about the law of diminishing returns with all these players. Waiting till the deadline is appearing to decrease the return we will get. May not even be able to trade gordon at all.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I have no doubt Porter took a back seat yesterday to help prop up Dipo. Just like you said.

Unfortunately if Porter looks better than Dipo, teams want Porter 1st....and ok throw in Dipo.
    I guessssssss.

We shouldn't do Dipo if it requires putting Wood and/or Porter. Sorry, just my opinion.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

When you trade a superstar, you almost always lose the trade. Except maybe if we had kept Jarrett Allen + LeVert the trade might have been a lot better, depending on how good LeVert ends up being.

tinman likes this.
  18. riko

riko Member

But you have to actually pay for quality and that’s not how Tillman does business. Avoid paying like the Spanish plague

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Trading LeVert for Oladipo made sense because of the cap space the Rockets created and neither are going to be superstars. Trading a restricted free agent in Jarrett Allen for the Bucks first-round pick made no sense. You could always have landed that kind of return for him in the future if the fit didn’t work out well. They sold low on him when they didn’t need to do so.

YOLO likes this.
  20. vick

vick Member

Yes a nightmare.

Jontro likes this.