1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Design your new age religion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Not a real fan of any Abrahamic faith, but Islam didn’t need to be hijacked, it started out as a con.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nah that's not a hijack, he created that. More importantly, I don't think he was thinking "how can I write something that will help me expand my wealth" like Constantine or Othman who literally brought the remaining living scribes or their kids into a secret room and came out with the defining book of the religion that's heavily skewed towards their rulership. Those guys had serious plans, the hijacking always happens after there's no founder to debate, it's too messy otherwise.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean when you are spefically exempt from the 5 wives max rule, had concubines and gained territory, it really seemed like there was some serious self interest there.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Of course, you're talking about what would effectively be a president and commander in chief. He's going to get greedy with his benefits, but I think his skill was in the writing and being a military tactician, and Othman is the one who turned it into what we know today.

Can you please not taunt the Muslims in this thread? I know you like doing that, and it's going to hijack this thread (ironically).

6. fchowd0311

There is a difference between taunting Muslims and criticism of the religion itself.

Most Muslims have a very fairy tale perception of Muhammad and that's a good thing because I wouldn't want someone to still believe in that religion with the claim that Muhammad is the most perfect representation of what a good Muslim ought to be even after knowing all his carnal desires. My mother for example if I told her Muhammad married a 6 year old and consumated the marriage at 9, she would say I've bought into anti-islam propaganda. And I'm glad she thinks that way because that means she knows it's wrong.

I can make the same claims about Christians and Jews in different ways such as I'm glad most Christians and Jews don't think that genocide is a morally good thing when god has done it plenty of times such as wiping out entire cities including innocent children because some dudes had gay sex. There is a lot of cognative dissonance amongst Abrahamic faiths.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I was joking because Xero was calling vegan religious-like in another thread.

As to your point, for me personally, I see levels of sentience amongst all groups of living things, and with that acknowledgment, discernable ethics.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

There is certainly a difference between taunting and objective criticism, but this thread is neither about taunting or objective criticism of Islam or Abrahamic faiths. Maybe you can start a thread for that.

Who's the new god? Who's the new Jesus/Mohammed? Who are the new disciples? Which are the new Qurans and Bibles? What's forbidden now?

9. AkeemTheDreem86

GREAT thread, @Mathloom !!!

I gotta think the new religion revolves around a fundamentally misunderstood/bastardized/politicized/pseudo science. You can already see a call to blindly "follow the science" from progressives, yet it seems like a lot of them have a false sense of confidence in whatever "science" they're fed, while conveniently ignoring or outright attacking any conflicting "science".

Invisible Fan and Mathloom like this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Relatively harmless, but it's a great example of what I was explaining to DD: if you treat it like a belief system, then you can be manipulated in the same way a religious person would.

At the moment, the peer reviewed evidence for veganism and non-veganism is roughly equal so there's no scientific reason to choose one or the other. It's faith-based, so it will end up with faith based institutions like:

Rituals
    Magic Concoctions/Potions
    Tribalism
    Ceremonies
    Anxious Smiley Proselytization
    Prophets
    Holy Books and Books
    Basing actions on feelings ("but I just feel better" etc)

Then once you have all that stuff you've basically self-installed the channels through which you will be influenced.

Again it's harmless, but a good micro example I think.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Science is science, there's no conflicting science there are just conflicting hypothesis. No one is going about the research with a different methodology.

The issue with science is most can be manipulated with weak scientific EVIDENCE because:

1) A staggering % of humans don't understand the hypothesis testing, peer review parameters, independence of studies and most critically how to assess the current scientific position (for example, anyone who says "there are studies" to prove something, doesn't know what they're talking about). A good example of this is when people say things like "but there was a study that showed XYZ" when they have no context of how many total studies they are and how they're broken up - this is classic anecdotal evidence that goes viral, because the people who don't understand these two things have nothing left to say.

2) Here is where the publishing part becomes critical: no one understands logical fallacies and they will get twisted and tied up in it. These are the people who are quick to reach for the "Agree to disagree" card when there is still a lot of garbage to sift out to get to the core discussion.

With these two patterns rampant everywhere in the world, you are right, it's possible to hijack science so that those who are following its rules become a minority and hence uninfluential. I suspect this goes on a lot in the agreements between large corporations/institutions/states and universities.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This is pretty much the point Xero was saying, which I disagreed with (and still am). Depending on the question your asking in regards to veganism, there is science to be acknowledged, environmental impacts, and health benefits aren't faith-based, and the understanding of central nervous systems and how that opens the door for beings to feel pain as we do isn't exactly faith-based.

If your argument is that - ethics, in general as a topic is akin to religion, that there is no such thing as discernable ethics, there is no scientific-based ethicality in diets, from cannabilism to eating rocks, I guess you could make it, I'd disagree, but it's one that could be made.

Mathloom likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Each individual study you're referencing followed a scientific method, however the collective belief that it is better for us is faith-based because the evidence is about 50-50. All the things you're citing are pieces of evidence. Right now, you simply can't amass a greater quantity or quality of evidence than the competing argument.

Does that make sense? If you cite 50% of the total peer reviewed evidence for veganism, it will be more information than you can share in one debate, but it is still just 50%, and someone else has 50% too (if it's two sided, which it rarely is). At that point, anyone who chooses a side is not being scientific, it is a coin flip, faith based.

If one day we reached a point where 90% of peer reviewed studies are saying it's better for you to be vegan, then you can say: what I practice is not faith based. We are certainly not at that threshold yet, even if you believe someone is influencing the science by X%.

When the day comes that the evidence you list constitutes most of the peer reviewed science, on that day, you are not faith based anymore. Right now, however, your source/root belief is faith based, and that's not my opinion.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What exactly is 50/50? Evidence regarding...?

Here's a question - is ethicality at all scientific?

If it's not, that's fine, you can say choosing to be vegan is akin to a religious choice, as would be the choice to not murder another person, or whatever other ethical conundrum you could think of. If the argument is ethics isn't science, it's a point that I could 100% accept being made. If the point is ethics for a vegan or vegetarian diet aren't science, but ethics in other areas are, then I call bull ****.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Has nothing to do with ethics. You are taking what you see as a likely scenario (i.e. ethics: we will all be better off) and calling it ethics. That is just a theory that hasn't been tested because there's no vegan society, and then the next step would be for that vegan society to demonstrate your theory in a representative sample.

Ethics are about what humans think they should do in the absence of science. It is non-scientific all around.

There's a really easy test you can run here. If 90% of the peer reviewed science said you should eat meat, would you change or would you assert something must be wrong (i.e. corruption or bias or lack of foresight, etc)? The answer to that question will tell you if you're faith based or not.

I don't see the issue honestly. If there's no data, we're all going by faith, instinct and anecdotal evidence. It's not a smear when there's no solid science to begin with.

#35 Mathloom, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  16. AkeemTheDreem86

Exactly what I'm trying to say, apologies if I was unclear. People who fall into your 2 patterns can be easily manipulated into "believing in science" over what they traditionally percieve as religion, while the veil of "science" actually becomes their new religion. Those pulling the strings have only to feed people studies that protect their interests.

It's the perfect con, really.

#36 AkeemTheDreem86, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This is what I was curious about, I respect that opinion.

Mathloom likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PRAISE SOL!!
    @Xerobull

Xerobull likes this.
  20. fchowd0311