1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor Mill/Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Mar 7, 2021.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

They have Okpala starting at the 5. I think he’s my new Christian Wood/RoCo scream until they trade for him. He’s perfect for this team he needs big minutes. Improves every game.

I really hope Stone gets him somehow. I think I like him over Precious.

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Not too familiar with Reed, but I don't think role player rookies help our current goals. It's great if they develop, but Walls contract is holding the Rockets hostage. By the time we could even trade Wall as an expiring, Thybulle will be looking to get paid.

I like your talent evaluation, and if either could break out as a star then it's worth it., but it's really unlikely for 2nd rounders. If we're going to have 2nd rounders in the rotation, I at least want them for 3 or 4 years when we are competitive. I am on the train of having picks for the sake of picks. You get enough 2nd rounders, package them for a 1st. GM's are suckers for first. We just traded a generational talent for unknown picks for the next half decade just because they are 1sts. One could argue that they are likely to be the worst 1st round picks any team could offer for the next 5 years. The path was chosen, might as well stick to it.

Picks and superstars are the key to the ring in this league. Fringe All Stars kill the team. Too good to let them leave for nothing, but you're not getting the same value as a Harden or Durant while paying them almost the same. I'm talking about the Al Horfords, the Steven Adams, The Tobias Hariss', etc.

If the Rockets did take best talent available, the best case scenario is we get get Cade Cunningham and trade the bulk of our picks for a superstar. Then we have 2 more seasons for KPJ to break out and Wood locked up for half of what he is worth.

I'm even a fan of potentially stacking all these picks to move up in the draft. If we get 2 2nd rounders in the next few weeks, I say see if you can combine them to get a late first. Trade the late first and Portland's pick and you may just sneak into the lottery. If we lose our pick, we may still swing an Eddie Griffin like package of 25th, 20th and 23rd pick for a top 10.

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's a sound strategy but picks are only as good as the players they are used for.

And a team full of 20 year olds is not winning anything.

Every good team needs a balance of players, with diverse but complementary skills and a couple of experienced hardened older players would be invaluable to teach kids about winning.

sydmill likes this.
  4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

You're exactly right. Hawks are seeing your logic right now by getting vets to go balance the young guys.

But,if you have to build a team from scratch, I'd rather try to secure stars first, then easily put the cheaper and younger players around them. The Rockets have Wood and hopefully KPJ breaks out. Your view could be the right one. Neither of us really know what we are looking at until the first domino falls, which is lottery day and whether we keep our pick.

I'm hyper focused on the value you get from rookie contracts. The picks are place holders.

Allow me to make an analogy. If you had to buy a TV that you couldn't use for 3 years, say it has to sit in storage. Would you rather have the 2021 $1000 TV I chose for you and use it in 2024, or would you rather have $600 in 2024 to buy what you want. You can get a much nicer TV in 2021, but will it still be nicer in 3 years compared to the new technology? You'd probably take 60 cents on the dollar because TV's, like 1st rounders, depreciate so fast. Odd analogy with plenty of holes and flaws, but I hope you get my point. I don't think the Rockets will win the title in the next 3 years, and tried to think of something that depreciates fast.

Again neither of us will really know what is best until Lottery Day.

D-rock likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why not? 50%+ chance they lose it and get NOTHING. They could hedge their bets and get guaranteed value.

I’d almost rather keep the coin toss and add a separate pick for Tucker.

joshuaao, csnerd84 and Mr Woods like this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No way. Stone going to murder that flabby douche!

7. conquistador#11

Aruba77 and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. RLP55

RLP55 Member

Like the idea of Tucker to the Jazz for their end of bench youngsters. Niang is 27, but we can't fill our roster with 19 and 20 year olds. Need guys who understand their role and accept the pecking order.. Don't know anything about him. But trust the Jazz system for recognizing team concept players. He gets about 14 minutes per game. Any one of the other three works just fine. Prefer Azubuike, 6'10", 280 lbs. 3 year starter at KS. Again the Jazz organization seek and recognize team first players. Seems to work well for them.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-trade-rumors-lamarcus-aldridge-kyle-lowry-ricky-rubio/

Several executives around the league who spoke with HoopsHype believe Rockets guard Victor Oladipo could be the biggest name moved by the trade deadline. He’s been linked to the Knicks and Heat most notably.

With Oladipo approaching 29 and nearing unrestricted free agency this summer, he’s not a fit for Houston’s rebuilding plan.

Upon arriving in Houston, Oladipo said, “Essentially, it’s like a business plan. You’ve got to go through every aspect of the business plan before you kind of figure out if you want to invest in it.”

Those executives who’ve spoken to the Rockets say Christian Wood is the only player on the Rockets that’s as close to untouchable as possible.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

hesitant to post this here because it’s likely nothing but sometimes random people hear things through random people and I read through this account and didn’t see any other rumors

D-rock, Mr Woods, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeah I hope it’s Miami for some of their younger guys.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

To Dallas for what??

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I have no idea but I’d imagine Josh Green and salary filler. He’s a rookie that’s out of the rotation and PJ would fit perfectly.

Boban + Green works financially

raining threes and joshuaao like this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Honestly I don’t know why the rockets are demanding a return of young prospects for Tucker. Maybe we’ll find a team that’s so deep that they have talented legit prospects that aren’t contributing, but I would think that most contending teams would not want to give up players that can help them win; perhaps opting to give up picks instead. So I hope Stone is being flexible. I think it’s gonna be hard to get a KPJ type prospect for Tucker but hey, maybe. I’d be happy with Tucker (maybe throw in House or Ben MAC) for a late 1st

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Porzingis

treyk3 likes this.
  16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Oladipo, PJ , Exum adds up to Porzingis if they really want to get rid of his contract. Rockets would probably have to attach a FRP or 2. Not sure I like the fit.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Hell Yeah!!!

18. foggy94

foggy94 Member

None of the teams with rumoured interest have late firsts to offer, is the problem.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Send PJ to Denver for either Nnaji or RJ Hampton.

raining threes likes this.