1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

“James Harden is my big brother, we talk a lot”: Kevin Porter Jr

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kingkingston, Mar 13, 2021.

1. sheb

sheb Member

we need to showcase wall and dipo for trades

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Or, it could be that he just didn't want to throw him into the fire immediately? One of the most ubiquitous coaching strategies in all sports. It may be a mistake to analyze Silas's actions through a motivation of trying to win. If the team is smart, tank tank tank. As our trade chips fall apart, free agency and the draft are our two paths forward.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'll say this. If you ask me if I had to get rid of Stone or Silas after this first year. Without thinking it would be Silas.

Stone has had some ability at finding gems, Tate, KJ Martin, KJP, I think Tate and KJ Martin can definitely be rotational players which is a great find considering they were picked. KJP and Wood are going to be very good players.

I don't count Wood since he really wasn't a gem, everyone knew he just needed more minutes it was just about which team were willing to give that to him.

Mathloom and saleem like this.
  4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

But we had Harden and he had been here for a few years, this is a very different situation

saleem and csc177 like this.
  5. csc177

csc177 Member

I’ve seen this argument a few times on here.....I don’t even think we can even compare this team to previous MDA teams. (Ppl know how I feel about KPJ) but outside of that.... This team is horrible with no real mesh of skill. Bright Spot Wood? yes. Surprise in Tate? Cool. Wall when he’s “feeling it” gives you a little juice. But from a talent perspective, the Beard covered ALOT of ugly holes for this franchise and MDA/Morey (WB and CP did as well). There’s no one here to do that now. Silas has been dealt one of the worst hands (which is whispered throughout the nba ranks). So I’m letting him play his mulligan for this rollercoaster of a season - You know when you lose your HoF/ franchise player during the season for draft picks? Lose the two superstars you expected to be here when you took the job. Or the all world utility team player in Tucker who had his heart broken as soon as his BFF left.

....and if we’re being honest, I have zero confidence if we swapped Silas out for MDA, Adelman, Mchale heck even JVG to coach THIS team? We’d be just as bad - fighting for the top pick.

Give the dude a normal offseason, a young squad that wants to be here, and year to figure out being an NBA head coach before we judge the guy. All I’m saying.

6. csc177

csc177 Member

As much as I like Silas he doesn’t have the balls to start KP and ruffle feathers with a proven vet in Wall. To do that as a first time head coach would do wonders for his rep here, but asking a vet (a self proclaimed franchise player at that) to hand over the keys to a 20 year old, ain’t happening.

until wall is traded or injured again KP comes off the bench...if we’re unable to move wall next year, maybe he can win 6th man of the year like someone else we know?

7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Franchise player JWall for sure ain’t passing KPJ the ball now

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

I guess this is where we disagree.

saleem likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

What a waste of Porter.

Just like Harden was not being used to his full potential.

You are just justifying my greatest fears.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Porter does seem to see the floor better. It's a shame for Wall, he could have dominated the NBA in transition and going to the line if he wanted to, and that would have made his 3's more open. Almost exactly the opposite of Harden who had little going for him athletically (especially before the NBA).

However, I think it's worse than: John Wall will not change. I would place a tip jar bet to say he will up his shot attempts if KPJ were starting next to him. If we look at his relationship with Beal, that's how he handled it and Silas should be ready for it. KPJ has an interesting backstory, his game is aesthetically pleasing and by all account he's a nice kid 99% of the time - he will get a lot of publicity if his numbers go up.

It's not the worst thing in the world for KPJ to learn how to play without the ball a bit.

Rocket River, csc177 and D-rock like this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya Wall off the court seems like a good dude. He just doesn't fit with the Rockets future plans. Not his fault. And I hope he really does sustain a long career post injury.

HP3 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Porter Jr. >>>>>>>>> Frauden

Roc Paint and cheke64 like this.
  13. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

You could be the other pg for the rockets and drock would say you are better than Wall. The hate for Wall is strong for drock

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Stone is really good at his current job. I'll give him that. Silas to me so far is good at coaching within a certain philosophy with certain types of players... definitely not a natural all around good head coach but I'll wait and see what happens the rest of this year. Not just looking at wins and losses... just improvement and development. Situational basketball.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A lot has to do with Silas not wanting his first season as head coach to be a massive losing record with just young players.

But it surely has backfired with the veterans.

Cstyle42 likes this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

Unless he realizes Wall is worse and thus perfect to lead the tank ;)

saleem likes this.
  17. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Did Harden start talking after the trade or he was a mentor before that? Does anyone know? I am guessing Lucas set this up...

18. csc177

csc177 Member

It’s prob not even “talking” to be honest - an exchange of good job texts most likely - I really can’t see James picking up the phone and chatting it up with dude. If that was the case, that’ll be awesome! kP can expect a package of honey buns in the near future

Roc Paint likes this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m not saying KPJ is the next Harden, but it’s hard to watch his game and not think of Harden.

D-rock, csc177 and saleem like this.
  20. conquistador#11

Someone in the organization text Porter's parents. I don't like the company he's keeping!

*oops wrong organization.