1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Great 2021 COVID Vaccine Chase

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Supermac34, Jan 4, 2021.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Here in CA I volunteered at a mass vaccination site for several days and got my first dose of Moderna yesterday. Sore arm and a pretty solid headache today, but all in all, well worth it as long as I didnt pick up Covid while at the mass vaccination site .. lol

Yung-T, Andre0087, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My mom also got her vaccine today from being a volunteer. Fortunately, she only had to do one day's work. But she enjoyed it (she had an easy role) so she might do it some more.

TWS1986 likes this.
  3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Yes, I had a ton of fun doing it as well.

The main guy in charge of the monitoring station was a paramedic that had previously spent 2 years in a wheelchair after a car bomb in Afghanistan. He has volunteered from 7AM to 730PM 7 days a week for 98 straight days!

There are some amazing people out there

OmegaSupreme, Yung-T, Amiga and 3 others like this.
  4. SuraGotMadHops

Anybody know of anyone who has been contacted in Harris County on a "no show" basis? I'm registered on the waitlist but I don't think I will be eligible for quite some time. Apparently if there are leftover vaccines at the end of the day they will give you a 30 minute heads up based on your proximity to the site. I dont know of anybody that has gotten the vaccine from this no show list though.

I know people are starting to just sign up for whatever they can find and just put they are obese or high risk, but I dont feel right jumping the line.

5. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

The obese part was how I got in, lol. CVS was good for signing up for me, but you've gotta do it early in the morning usually. The other waitlists have been a waste of time for me. Got the 1st shot already from them which was nice.

CCity Zero and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  6. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

I’ve tried at one place was 0/5 going 30 min before close. Had friends who were lucky but this was over a month ago for them.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

My wife just went to Iowa and got the J&J vaccine there. The pre-existing conditions rules in Iowa are so broad that half of Iowa qualifies right now (and they don't turn away people from out of state). Plus the pharmacist mentioned to me that instead of implementing the CDC recommendation that obese people take the vaccine, Iowa implemented it as "overweight people" so anyone with a BMI over 25 qualifies.

But at this point, I do believe Gov. Walz that it'll open up by April. There's an initial surge of demand right now because of the expanded eligibility but it'll die down in a couple of weeks which will force the government to make the vaccine available to even more people.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Walz is announcing easing more restriction todays in an hour. IA is definitely something to consider if they are allowing out of state residents to get vaccinated. At the moment I'm good waiting for MN but if it's late April and I still haven't been vaccinated might do it.

Thanks to quarantine and lack of working out as much as I did before my BMI is probably right around 25. Might be a good excuse to pig out. ;)

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A friend of mine who is younger than me and no chronic conditions got her first shot of the Pfizer vaccine here in MN. She's a Yoga instructor but since they are starting to vaccinate food service workers she got in because she used to work as a server part time at Target Field during Twins' season.

TWS1986 likes this.
  10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Not sure how the no show list is curated. For awhile they were contacting teachers before they were officially prioritized. 50-64 will soon join the prioritized grouping. The wait list is large, but I have a feeling it'll get burned through quickly as many on the waitlist have already gotten their shots somewhere else.

Your best bet is to sign up on as many lists as you can, and check CVS / Walgreens at midnight for open slots.

SuraGotMadHops and TWS1986 like this.
  11. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

This. I usually wake up around 4 am or so, and I found my shots at that time in the morning. Or midnight too I would imagine is good, but ain't nobody got time for that ;).

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I got creative with my waitlist signups and got my first dose from the city yesterday. I figure if the state government can pretend COVID is over in order to protect business interests, I can do a little pretending of my own to protect myself. My fiancé can't bring herself to "cheat," but I consider every vaccination a victory and I'm not interested in being put at unnecessary risk for the next month or two by people who clearly don't give a ****.

Anyways, got a Moderna vaccine dose at the HMMC site at Delmar Stadium on Mangum off 290. Whole process took less than 30 minutes, including the 15-min. "observation period." Never got out of my car. A day later, my arm is still sore and I'm a little fatigued but nothing that's keeping me from work. I've heard dose 2 is a doozy, and that's fine. I just can't wait to start spitting into other people's mouths again!

13. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Yeah **** that man. Cheat if you want too, I agree with ya.

Hippieloser likes this.
  14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Easiest way I've seen is with Walmart. They release their open slots at midnight BUT its based on the local devices time zone. So at night, just set your pc to a timezone in Europe and you can jump the queue on open slots. They aren't guaranteed to release slots every night but I know lots of people that have done this.

TWS1986 likes this.
  15. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I registered for the vaccine 2 days ago and I already have an appointment for next week. Get creative when registering. J&J btw.

TWS1986 likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I was on the same type of list in Florida for a month or so as were my wife and a handful of neighbors. No one ever got called. I assume they would prioritize folks on the list, but it wasn't clear.

Fortunately we got our first shots this week, so I'll probably get a call any day now.

B-Bob, SuraGotMadHops and TWS1986 like this.
  17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Just got the Pfizer shot a few hours ago in League City. Signed up on UTMB site and got right in.

TWS1986 and B-Bob like this.
  18. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

If you still need help signing up tomorrow let me know. PM!

TWS1986 likes this.
  19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Thanks bro, all good though. I got my 2nd shot at CVS coming up in about 3 weeks :). We'll see if I grow a third arm with the Moderna vaccine.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I got an appointment at CVS by saying I'm obese. I mean....like most of us, I could stand to lose 20 pounds or so....but not really obese. Does CVS take your BMI or anything weird like that?

I'm feeling a little guilty. Should I keep the appointment? Or wait until I'm really qualified? I'm 50 and working from home fulltime and I hardly ever leave the house, so really not in a huge hurry to get it. But we're going to Hawaii this summer and definitely want to be vaccinated before then.

My wife is a teacher and getting hers tomorrow.