1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach Silas: The Real Test Starts Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Coach Silas we have given him alot of slack
    We believe he has been dealt a shitty hand
    Player movement
    Injury
    Lack of practice.
    Etc

Still has alot of slack
    But I want to see somethings in the second half of the season. Not necessarily wins. But some improvements. Esp after the trade deadline.

1. Player management.
    Since I figure Wall will still be here. I definitely will be watching how he is managed versus KPJ.
    Imo he needs to be reigned in some and dedicated to the team ball.
    2. Better lineup management.
    I know we are limited but I want to see people get yanked when they suck. I need to see lineups that work well together.
    3. See some damn plays

What improvements coaching wise should we be looking for?

Rocket River

2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He needs to tweak or developed his system because we have some limited skilled players outside of KPJ, Nwaba.

Mclemore can’t do anything but shoot. This is obvious but during the game we constantly see him I position doing more than he can handle. Dude can’t even convert in one I one days breaks. He can’t pass. Matter of fact a couple of guys can’t pass. I’m looking at OKC playing t he knocks and they have jsut as many gleague no experience guys as us but it’s night and day in the am execution of the offense and defense. That jsut shows me they’re either more skilled or better coached. mine thing I will get on Silas for is if he has an young team like this he really need to empathize the fundamentals of the game. I honestly think we been taking the fundamentals for granted even while harden been here. That’s why cp3 was so important here because he would always pull everybody in and remind them that they’re professionals and need to play like it when the game got sloppy.

saleem, Houstunna and D-rock like this.
  3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He hasn’t exactly been a Coach of the Year candidate so far. Jury is still very much out on this dude. He gets a pass from me under the current circumstances, but to be honest, he hasn’t shown much yet.

ramotadab, hajkov, jim1961 and 3 others like this.
  4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

No need to make any adjustments.
    Coach has us right where we need to be.

5. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Silas shouldn’t be judged until next season when we have our young core in place and most of our vets gone.

The execution from our young guys last night vs Utah was great. We finally looked like we had a legit system. All we needed was a real point guard in KPJ, and a bunch of hungry young players.

Wall, EG, and Dipo play for themselves.

vick, SkareKrow, JW86 and 5 others like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas should do the opposite of whatever he is doing now.

His 1st quarters have been embarrassingly bad, especially offensively during bulk of 15 game losing streak.

That speaks to poor gameplan and/or execution.

And his 3rd quarters have been even more pathetic, especially on offense.

This speaks to inability to adjust and/or inability to identify what opposing team doing effectively or what our own team is doing ineffectively, this is tantamount to criminal incompetence especially after the half time break.

His response in post game interviews is to play harder.

Amazing that the Silas stans accept this response when they all eviscerated D'Antoni for saying the same thing AND WINNING.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Injuries and lack of practice time... it's still clear and present for us. A coach can't do his job if he lacks consistency in personnel and has no time to coach the players he has when there is time. He had no real off season because of trades, the starting lineup has been unbelievably, wildly inconsistent, and there's almost no practice time between games this year because of the f-d up covid schedule.

Any judgement of Silas this year is a ****ing joke. Pulling the plug on him now might be smart, it might also be incredibly stupid, who knows because there's been nothing to judge a coach on and there will be nothing to really judge the man on until he has a chance to build upon the base he's forged. So far it's been nothing but rugs pulled out from under him.

I can't imagine how you'd act if people were judging your life based on his story of opportunities. This stuff is beyond his control. Compare his cards he's been dealt to another coach in the league and report back to me on that. Look at the cards that Steve Nash was dealt as a rookie coach. You can't compare their qualities, they have completely different circumstances before themselves. One has been set up for success and has had success. The other has been set up for failure and has experienced many failures. It's not exactly the sort of thing you can judge fairly and to think otherwise is obtuse.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You can't expect much from Silas considering all that has and is happening. Hes been through more crap than any new coach, imo. Divas galore. Injuries etc. We still dont have a set starting lineup.
    I am actually impressed with how he has handled things. But you could tell that Me Js attitude kinda pissed him off. Rightfully so.
    He is a good coach. You can tell when the team actually buckles down and really plays his system.

Denovo and Salvy like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I want to see more of our G-league players running the Silas system, developing.

Play Wall 15 minutes. Seen enough of K Porter, play him 15 minutes.

Rocket River likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Leading the team in minutes played is a 25 year old rookie from Australian League and he's playing 27 minutes per game. Let that sink in.

Quit being obtuse. Your anger is misdirected.

11. jb86

jb86 Member

Give the brother a chance for the most part. But he really needs to cut that small ball **** out. Part of that is on the front office for not providing the bigs coach will need going forward. We only have 2 bigs on the roster. It should be 4 bigs. Especially for times like this when we are having injury problems. That goes for every position. These injuries are prime example of why its important to have depth at each position.

12. Joe Willie

Joe Willie Member

His biggest test is keeping the team from losing confidence in him as they continue to get their *$#@ kicked over the next couple of months.

saleem, Easy, juanm34 and 1 other person like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure if you're addressing me.

Eric Gordon: 29.2 mpg
    John Wall: 31.7 mpg
    Victor Oladipo: 32.8 mpg
    PJ Tucker: 30 mpg
    *averaged almost 34 mpg before he acted up

Just because you dont agree with me doesnt make me or my position untrue, or in your words obtuse.

I actually pushed for Silas' hire, he has been dealt a bad for sure but there has been very little he has done to impress me in what he does control.

Rotations are shet, empowering role players to play against their strengths, playing iso with iso inefficient players, half time adjustments are non-existent and over deference to vets.

These have nothing to do with Harden.and little to do with covid (which every team is facing) or player injuries (happened EVERY season during Harden era).

vick and Rocket River like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Even with Harden, Silas could not get above 17th in offensive rating. And Silas has a rep for being an offensive genius.

Harden has been on 6 teams that have been historically proficient on offense. Nets went from 11th to 1st almost overnight after acquiring Harden.

vick and riko like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am not angry.
    Nor disappointed

I have concerns
    Notice I pointed to trade deadline.

I need him to put his stamp on the team.
    Right now I feel Wall Dipo and Ego dictate the team more than him.

The rest of the season should be about developing KPJ and Wood.
    The young guns.

Rocket River
    Sit Nwaba for his own good.

vick, Rockets4Life13 and D-rock like this.
  16. csc177

csc177 Member

Silas has been slipped a secret note to tank my friend. We can apply the questions and suggestions you posed next year.

vick, Plowman and Rocket River like this.
  17. csc177

csc177 Member

Harden didn’t want to be here dude. If he did, he would have carried this team to a higher offensive rating as well. That sample size and perspective on the situation at the time shouldn’t be referenced with stats to prove a point.

I hate when folks throw stats out without true context.

silas is a good (not great) offensive mind, if he had a hall of famer or a true playmaker - We’d see a better offense.

Instead he’s got an inconsistent lineup of injured has beens in Wall and Dipo (neither of which are playmakers mind you) a young stud in Wood, who can play but can’t pass the ball to himself, a young star that’s stuck behind the previously mentioned injured has-been (Wall) and a bunch of role players that suck at 3pt shooting but play for a franchise and system predicated on three point shooting.

Xopher, Rocket River and jim1961 like this.
  18. OpportunityCost

Okay, I think this was all just a misunderstanding and I have been unfair to Wall.

I think it's obvious that Wall misunderstood what the coaches wanted from him when he first came here.

When he first came here and the coaches told him that they needed him to be a "ball-hawk", he obviously thought they said "ball-hog".

So this was all just a misunderstanding and should get cleared up soon.

vick and D-rock like this.
  19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Don't lie bro. I seen Ben lay it up once or twice before.

20. TimDuncanDonaut

:eek: .... :p. (i see what ya mean)

csc177 likes this.