1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey AS Philly GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2020.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I am saying I have not seen sufficient data that shows being 6th or worst betting odds in past seasons means no championship. I have not seen the historical trends that would validate your statement (or invalidate) your argument.

Therefore I can only base my perspective on the data I can see or have, which while not the best, does seem somewhat correlated.

Edit: If you think there isn't enough evidence of Philly being a contender, that's fine. I've also have not seen evidence that's proven they're not. If you present more historical data we can revisit this argument, but until more data presents or actualize there really isn't more thats likely to change either of our opinions

#241 wizkid83, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Daryl is becoming more progressive as he gets older.

U love to see it.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont mean it literally everyone in the playoffs obv has a chance to win a ring duh thats why there are odds to begin with. However given they are the 6th most likely team to win a ring they have very little chance to win and most likely will not win an nba championship this year. NBA is the sport that leaves very little to chance as teams play best of 7s every round everyone has a puncher's chance but we all know the chances the 6th most likely team will win is extremely small. And thats with Embiid being made of glass and his health getting tested in the latter part of the season. Your correlation means jacksquat as that data includes the other top seeds who the Sixers will lose to in a 7 game series. We aint talking about the top seeds in general winning but only Sixers winning specifically. If the Jazz, Nets or PHX win its gonna hold up the trend but in all those scenarios the Sixers lose.

You dont need spreadsheets and data to figure this out just common sense.

#243 roslolian, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

“I get in trouble when I say stuff like this,” Morey says, “but he’s the most unstoppable thing I’ve ever seen. And I've seen a lot. You know who I’ve seen,” he says, alluding to Harden. “But I’ve never seen anything like it. Like last night against Rudy Gobert, he faced him up at eight feet, and I mean it ended in a dunk. And (Gobert) is an amazing defender. And he had no answer.”

About that other unstoppable guy, the three-time scoring champion and former MVP who defined a Rockets era and stands as Morey’s signature acquisition: Morey mentions Harden only vaguely, noting, “I can’t say his name anymore, apparently”—a reference to the $50,000 tampering fine the NBA issued for a (seemingly benign) tweet about Harden in December, when Harden was angling for a trade and the Sixers were among the suitors.

The Rockets sent Harden to Brooklyn, his first choice, to join stars Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving—making the Nets perhaps the greatest threat to the Sixers’ title hopes. It’s a cruel twist for Morey, who acquired Harden in 2012 and championed him for the next eight seasons.

“I mean, it's annoying,” Morey says of the Nets’ superteam. “I would rather have all the good players in the West. So that’s probably annoying. But you know, everything else will get me fined, I think.”

And because he prefers not to be fined again, Morey dares not say what he thinks of Harden’s latest evolution in Brooklyn, where he is shooting less and playmaking more, and selflessly doing all the things critics once doubted he could do. But if Morey could comment, he would surely say something like: Harden is a great player who will always do what his team needs. The Rockets needed him to score a lot, so he did. The Nets need Harden to feed their other stars, so he does. Harden is about winning, so nothing he’s doing now is really new.

Morey is much chattier when it comes to the Sixers’ own Big 3, rarely mentioning one star without the other two (“Joel, Ben and Tobias,” he says repeatedly). And for a guy who’s often caricatured as an emotionless stats nerd, he describes the Sixers’ success in surprisingly flowery terms. He praises the stars for their “great camaraderie” and “collective will and want-to,” credits Rivers for creating the environment that “allows that to flourish” and says they are benefiting from a “virtuous cycle effect,” in which belief begets winning, which begets more belief.

“And that belief then reinforces Joel, Ben and Tobias and how they feel about how everything’s going, so they play a little better,” Morey says. “I don’t think it’s an accident that all of Joel, Ben and Tobias are having their best years; I think one of Doc’s many strengths is to get the best out of players.”

[...]

There’s a superteam in Brooklyn to deal with, eventually, but Morey seems relieved to have escaped the murderer’s row of the Western Conference, where LeBron James and Anthony Davis now reign, where multiple MVP candidates lead potential title contenders and where the Warriors still lurk.

“Please, please let me be in the East forever,” Morey says, chuckling. “I mean, the West is just brutal.”

Besides, he says, the gritty vibe of Philadelphia reminds him (favorably) of Cleveland, where he grew up, as well as Chicago and Boston, where he spent formative years as an adult.

“It just feels like I'm back home a little bit,” he says. “The passion of those Browns fans is the passion I feel (from fans) for the Sixers. Obviously, they have a passion for the Eagles, as well, in a frightening way. Like, they're ready to blow up the Eagles’ stadium—and they won the Super Bowl recently! Like, even if we win the title, they’re going to be tarring and feathering us the next year.”

Morey laughs. He understands where he is, the opportunity before him and the consequences for disappointing his adopted new city. And so he’ll stick with Pat’s, too, even if he risks a backlash from the Geno’s loyalists.

“I feel sort of one with the fans here,” Morey says. “I love it, actually.”

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No Morey, complimenting basketball players does not get you in trouble. What gets you in trouble is talking about enjoying seeing vaginas and other countries politics.

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

Exactly, genocide should never be talked about. Shhhhh, its not real if no one talks about it....

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

Shots fired at Rockets fans! (he right though)

8. PhiSlammaJamma

They'd better nuke up. Brooklyn is all in.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Somebody needs to ask Morey: Who is more unstoppable? Embiid or Harden. :eek:

hakeem94 and csnerd84 like this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I must admit, after Durant and Harden fled east, the conferences are more even than they have been in decades.

11. omgTHEpotential

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Looks like Morey is abandoning the extreme 3-or-layup view because Embiid is "the most unstoppable thing" he's seen. :D

ramotadab and roslolian like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we need more players moving to the east

14. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I don’t know about that when all of them ended up on one team. I mean at the end of the day it’s going to be Brooklyn’s conference until the three of them leave. Philly will admirably try to compete and be there but eventually will get knocked out in the end, Milwaukee is like the Rockets when they had Harden, one guy can’t do it on his own and that’s pretty much the whole conference in a nut shell. The rest are not worth mentioning.

BallSoHarden and hakeem94 like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Welp looks like the most unstoppable ever just got stopped.

Hyperextended left knee will prob mean a Wood-esque absence.

ramotadab and hakeem94 like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they probably gonna tank for a year to get a proper supporting cast to embiid and simmons...this years draft is deep

J.R. likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

how about the best coach ever in brad stevens?

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Keep utterly trash takes like this out of basketball threads.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. verysimplejason

That's how you fell a giant...

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I doubt it

ramotadab likes this.