1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin as a Santa Cruz Warrior on a Teacher Salary

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lnchan, Jan 19, 2021.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I'm guessing most players don't want to be involved in this publicly if they don't have to. Privately they will all have to answer the leagues questions

vlaurelio and tinman like this.
  2. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

My initial reaction was that a suspension is in order, and I might still think that...but after thinking about it more, I think the punishment will depend on what is found in the investigation. Some different things that would impact what I think should be done include:
    - Was it an isolated incident or is it prevalent?
    - Does the player who said it have a history poor/controversial behavior?
    - Was it part of a back-and-forth or was it one-way?
    - Is the player an older player or a rookie/young-guy?

These and other factors would influence the severity of the punishment IMHO. I'm kind of sick of cancel culture and I think a blanket punishment is the wrong way to go. IMHO, of course...

3. yoeddy

Yep, agree. My point about no one stepping forward to dispute Lin's claim was really just a reaction to tinman's comment about witnesses on the court. I hope that the NBA completes its investigation and doesn't leak/trickle info out without context.

4. King1

I understand that perspective and the points you made but I just don't see it like that. Even if it was a one time incident that obviously is not something that comes out of your mouth in a heated exchange. Young or old you know better than that. There has to be an example made here. I'm all for sensitivity classes but a suspension has to be part of the punishment.

Especially with the escalating problem of violence against Asian-Americans right now. If the NBA is going to go all in like they have against racism then it needs to be across the board imo

yoeddy likes this.
  5. King1

Gotcha. Agree on letting the investigation play itself out without any leaks.

tinman and yoeddy like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What if it was an awkward compliment like his personality is super charming and infectious?

7. yoeddy

GSW calling up guards Jordan Poole and Nico Mannion from the G-League. Lin's NBA outlook definitely looks like it's over...

8. yoeddy

Nico Mannion says he did not hear someone call JLin "coronavirus", but that Lin mentioned it to the team after the game...a few days prior to making it public. Says the team talked about it and all his teammates supported him:

Lin first commented on the incident around Feb 23-24, which would make it likely to have happened during their Feb 18 game against the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants

tinman likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. mig0s

mig0s Member

The guy's lucky they didnt mention his name

11. yoeddy

Not luck...Lin made it clear he didn't want to shame the player. Glad they were able to identify the player and have Lin talk with him directly. Hope this proves to people here who questioned Lin's honesty that Lin was telling the truth.

https://theathletic.com/news/g-leag...-claim-he-was-called-coronavirus/dgBXPaHsVi1w

"We're handling this matter internally, a decision supported by Jeremy Lin," a G League spokesperson said to The Athletic's Shams Charania. "Lin has met with the player to discuss the escalating racism and violence toward Asian Americans, and the player understands the impact that hearing his comment had on Lin."

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Considering coronavirus has affected all races and ethnicities...

13. yoeddy

and...?

14. King1

Good it got cleared up. Still think the player should have been outed and suspended.

yoeddy and tinman like this.
  15. jayland

jayland Member

Yes but Trump specifically blamed the Chinese as the sole cause of the virus every chance he got for the past year. Not to mention some of the loony Trump supporters with an audience were pushing crazy conspiracy theories like the coronavirus was a bio weapon manufactured by China and they were using Chinese Americans as agents to spread the virus throughout the country. This has lead to a significant increase in anti-Asian sentiment in the country.

txtodd likes this.
  16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you think?

King1 likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is it Lin’s decision ?
    The Leonard guy spat racism while playing games on twitch

this dude dropped racism at his job.
    It’s the league that should identify the player publicly and suspend him

King1 likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you can suspend a nba player for dropping racism while live streaming fortnite
    Then surely you can do the same when it’s done on the court

King1 likes this.
  19. King1

Exactly

tinman likes this.
  20. King1

Take the political crap to the D@D