1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

So tanked the Vipers as well.... but for whhhhhaaattttttt

D-rock and hajkov like this.
  2. vator

vator Contributing Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Do It AgAiNsT rEaL cOmPeTiTiOn! AnYoNe CaN dO iT iN tHe G lEaGue!

Can’t wait for game one overreaction! :D

[Has a ‘bad’ game] “LOL Y’all excited over this?! This guy sucks!”
    [Has a ‘good’ game] “Folks, we got a future star here!”

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

It was always curious for me to hear alot of guys say "wait until he does it vs NBA competition" .. #1 the GLeague IS NBA competition, but #2 KPJ DID do it vs NBA competition - AND LOOKED GREAT. LOL.

Some guys are going to box themselves in because they "dont feed into hype" or KPJ is a ticking timebomb or whatever other personal gripe they may have and thats ok, but the skills are undeniable. Its pretty awesome the way it all unfolded for us. Like it was meant to be. I'll take some good old luck at this point.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah. The same people who were probably excited about the likes of Gary Clark, Vince Edwards, Isaiah Hartenstein, KJ McDaniels, Kyle Wiltjer, Chris Chiozza,... are like “Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down on KPJ! He hasn’t done anything yet! He’s more likely to bust than help!”

6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Very especially the people who were excited about Hardenstein, D-Mo and Wiltjer have their concerns about KPJs character...

7. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

I looked up "diamond in the rough" and there was a picture of KPJ

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

KPJ's issue has never been his talent. His problem has always been maturity and company he keeps.

9. rockbox

To add. KPJ will either be an all-star or out of the league in 3 years. He's that talented. His game is very much like Harden and Devin Booker. The herky jerky moves and he never looks like he is going fast until his right by you.

10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

You don't think there's a middle path? He could have a long career as a 6th man or starter without either of these two potentialities.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. rockbox

Nope. He's too talented to be a 6th man especially with his vision and passing skills. He's going to be an all-star as long as he he gets his act together. Just watch him play from last season, and this season in the G-league. The game is super slow for him and he pretty much picks his spots whenever he wants. He's also pretty efficient with a true shooting percentage similar to Booker and Trae Young and only slightly lower than Harden(who was a year older) in their rookie seasons. Assists numbers also correlate well between G-league and the NBA. A good pass is a good pass

D-rock likes this.
  12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

While I agree he has all star talent, you can't discount that he may just put his game on coast mode once he's established and never be an all star. But he certainly could be one in 3 years. As far as saying he'll be out of the league in 3 years, as a middle aged dude who made a lot of mistakes at 19 or 20, I can say that's pretty presumptuous to think he can't mature by leaps and bounds in the next 3 years.

Patience, D-rock and coachbadlee like this.
  13. rockbox

My point is if he gets minutes and doesn't get kicked off a team, he will be an all-star. The only reason he doesn't get minutes is if he does something super horrible that he gets waived and becomes untouchable. Think about this. With all his talents, we got him for pretty much FREE and nobody else was willing to give Cleveland anything more than that even as a flyer.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How long did it take Harden?

D-rock likes this.
  15. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

This guy is certainly going to be an all-star and I'am not just being blinded cause he is a Rocket. His skill set, talent, and athleticism is at another level. Just needs time with the right staff to get his moves ingrained into "muscle memory".

16. verysimplejason

Kevin Porter's like a loose cannon. With his talent, if it hits, it's good. If not, you're dead. He should fix his attitude. It's as important as his talent.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think that might be going too far. He did get good minutes with Cleveland last year and he performed well. Well enough to be top 10-15 amongst rookies in the same class. Hes certainly hasn't shown if he gets minutes he will be an all star.

I think his ceiling is an all star, but I will be happy if he become even a Conley level player.

I personally think a guard in his position needs great shooting, he's about average in that department. He has a lot of potential in all department, but it remains to be seen how hard he's willing to work on his game.

groovemachine likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Is there soup in the canon?

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

To what?

Mature? Or become an all star?

He was never a behavioural issue guy
    His first season as "the guy" it was obvious he was superstar quality.

I was one of those extremely high on Harden when we got him, claiming he could go as well as 20-5-5 his first season. He blew that out of the water!! I was well under...

coachbadlee, HP3 and Patience like this.
  20. conquistador#11

Beard at age 20, 9.9 per game. Beard at age 21, 12 pts per game.

Need I say more.
    =)

coachbadlee likes this.