1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NOT Morey's Crazy Idea for the NBA to Shoot Less 3 Pointers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vator, Mar 10, 2021.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Edit: @YOLO did some digging and apparently, this was not a direct quote from Morey and thus a lot less interesting to discuss! I was bamboozled. Sorry guys. Don't believe everything you read on the internet...unless it's from a trusted source...like Wikipedia.

So in Houston 3's good, in Philly when your second-best player can't shoot them and won't even attempt them, 3's bad. Got it. Makes sense.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31027277/nba-insiders-say-all-3s-reaching-critical-mass

"Cap the amount of 3-pointers a team can take over the course of a game.

Over the first 42 minutes of the game, each team would have the chance to attempt 20 shots from beyond the arc that would count for three points. Once an offense runs out of those 20 attempts, it can keep shooting from behind the line, but each subsequent make would count for only two points -- until the 6:00 mark of the fourth quarter, when attempts would once again worth three points until the game is over. The 3-ball is still the most reliable and entertaining way for teams to mount comebacks at all levels of basketball, so it's smart to showcase them at the game's most dramatic moments."

#1 vator, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Is this a direct quote from Morey?

3. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

It is not April 1st yet!

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

the Lavar Ball of GMs

5. verysimplejason

While we're at it, let's also try to cap use of height, jumping, dunks, etc... Let's also limit the times anybody can score the 2. How's this different from the 90's when everybody's scoring 2s? Just my 2 cents, if they really want to limit 3s, then do away with hand-check rules or at least modify it so everybody can keep tabs with offensive players easier.

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

Can we also cap losing streaks to 13...

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I like the suggestion. It adds an interesting wrinkle to the game, and forces NBA teams to diversify their offense a bit more.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Worst
    Idea
    Ever

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Seems too contrived to put a cap on the number of shots a team can take of any particular sort. Feels like rules for an all-star competition, not a real game. I would be all for finding a more organic way to reduce 3-point attempts, but that will be difficult, short of removing the line entirely.

What else could they do? change 2-pointers to 3 and 3-pointers to 4? Even that probably wouldn't reduce attempts that much, with the way guys are shooting these days.

10. vator

But this absurd 3 point shooting is partially his fault. He played a huge role in what we are seeing out there on the floor.

He pioneered the movement of encouraging volume 3 point shooting and pushed the limits of what conventional thinking considered to be over-reliance on the 3 points shot. A movement that has since been embraced by a large portion of the league because well, it worked! Our talent was never the best, but 3 is greater than 2 and it allowed us to overwhelm opponents. Teams that couldn't shoot 3 pointers simply were at a huge disadvantage at the tipoff.

I remember thinking the last few years how we weren't as good anymore because more teams were playing "Moreyball" and our advantage of volume 3 point shooting, which 3 years ago was a tremendous advantage, was now nearly negated a lot of nights because now it seems like everybody is hunting those shots and taking fewer inefficient midrange shots.

11. MettaWorldPete

I didn't follow the whole thread, but what I saw on r/nba seemed to suggest the 3 point/4 point option would create weird problems with the value of free throws.

Patience likes this.
  12. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Moreley 2D chess

Jontro likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

This isn't a quote or an actual idea/suggestion of Morey's. not sure why you decided to takeout the below part. it's misleading

The section you quoted is from a "longtime league power broker who wishes to remain anonymous"

A more radical proposal from a longtime league power broker who wishes to remain anonymous (unless the idea gains traction) would curb inflation by limiting supply: Cap the amount of 3-pointers a team can take over the course of a game.

durvasa likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

most teams are in the 33-38 attempt range from three which is a solid, healthy amount

there are 4 teams taking at least 40 threes a game: the Jazz, Blazers, Raptors, and Rockets

however, the Jazz are shooting 39.8%, the Blazers 38.2%, and the Raptors 38.3%...then we have the Rockets who need to stop it taking 41 threes a game while shooting 33%

we had a game where we went 4-45 from 3 missing 25 straight at 1 point...teams like the Rockets and OKC who take 38 threes a game shooting 34% are the ones who really make this 3 point era ugly

I for one enjoy high level shooting and shot making...I don’t enjoy bricklayers that keep shooting thinking they’re Ray Allen when they’re actually Tony Allen

Dame shooting threes is enjoyable...Westbrook and Wall, or bricklayers like EG launching 8+ a game makes my eyes bleed

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I can see why fans hated on Moreknee when he was our GM.

16. vator

I was hoodwinked? I don't have Insider. It was posted on another forum and nobody debunked it. I'll redact it then I suppose. I guess nobody pays for Insider anymore lol.

So no mention of Morey at all you say?

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2061087

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

I have it. This is the full part of that part of the section

A more radical proposal from a longtime league power broker who wishes to remain anonymous (unless the idea gains traction) would curb inflation by limiting supply: Cap the amount of 3-pointers a team can take over the course of a game.

Over the first 42 minutes of the game, each team would have the chance to attempt 20 shots from beyond the arc that would count for three points. Once an offense runs out of those 20 attempts, it can keep shooting from behind the line, but each subsequent make would count for only two points -- until the 6:00 mark of the fourth quarter, when attempts would once again worth three points until the game is over. The 3-ball is still the most reliable and entertaining way for teams to mount comebacks at all levels of basketball, so it's smart to showcase them at the game's most dramatic moments.

Morey is referenced at the beginning of the article but he has nothing to do with this part of the post you alluded was his idea. The OP of that thread is dumb, if he can't read a simple article and articulate what's actually quoted and different ideas being thrown out

vator likes this.
  18. vator

Well now, this is a lot less interesting. Bummer

19. omgTHEpotential