1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Meyers Leonard may be getting ready to have a rough day...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OmegaSupreme, Mar 9, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

what the hell is a kite?

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't want to hear any players saying a damn thing after they were almost completely silent on Stephen Jackson.

The NBA tends to have very selective outrage.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I get that these all get thrown into the same anti-Semitic bucket, but his comments were pretty different.

It’s like comparing someone who makes a negative generalization about black people to someone else who uses the N-word as an insult. The former happens all the time in right wing media. There’s different levels of acceptability in our society.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree.

What age group do you think gets upset about this stuff the most?

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know the word himself and just heard it while playing COD and then repeating it lol

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don’t know. I feel like older generations might take slurs more serious because likely when they grew up, they were more often used in a serious way. Middle school is the 90’s early 2000s was nword this, *** that when addressing your best friends, and using slavery jokes, sexuality jokes Holocaust jokes, racist jokes, sexist jokes 24/7 (in public schools in Houston, at least)

It’s not like they should be used so lightly either, maybe it’s better to denaturalize words by making it common slang (nword) maybe It’s better to shun it an avoid it, honestly don’t know. Just know I’m still immature enough to use shock humor with my close friends.

snowconeman22 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think it's the younger generation because they use this stuff to gain attention and take people down.

The older generation was very guilty of of the stuff you are talking about, that did not start in the 90's but the 90's where the last time you probably could get away saying that stuff.

Have you seen the uproar over this guy?

Morgan Wallen

https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/02/morgan-wallen-n-word-nashville-neighbors/

Just look at this article title.

Nelly Unaware Of Morgan Wallen’s “Shocking” Use Of N-Word: “That’s Crazy… I Know Morgan… He Was A Great Dude”

https://musicmayhemmagazine.com/nel...hats-crazy-i-know-morgan-he-was-a-great-dude/

The way he used it is not that shocking.

10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yeah, I highly doubt the other players were actually Jewish. If they were, he wouldn't have said it. Just using shock value in a COD community. It was really dumb to record it. I knew the word because Lil Dicky refers to himself as one in some songs. I never say the N word or R word. Granted, I've never used the K word either because it's so obscure (plus I don't play COD online), but there is definitely peer pressure to call people a b***h or p***y etc in those chats. I think he was just thinking of a unique slur to use; not that it's mature or justifiable, but I can believe he wasn't familiar with the true implications of that word.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is the "K word" really that obscure? I'm surprised so many people in this thread never heard of it. I've never heard someone use it in real life, but you're bound to hear or read it in any story with virulent anti-Semitic characters.

OmegaSupreme and Jayzers_100 like this.
  12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

yeah I'm shocked others didn't know about it. However, anti-Semitism isn't much of a thing in the South as far as I can tell. I'm assuming it was used more in New York

durvasa likes this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

The news and the apology are making around the national circuit. (has passed the the nba/sports circle).

As far as taking back the power of a word; if it starts, it is up to that group. I just don't see that happening with this one.

Growing up, few of my friends are Jewish, one was heavy on the orthodox end; yamacas and all. Jokes or friends arguing; I'd never throw that word out. It's one of those; once you know what it means, you just tuck it away.

foh and vlaurelio like this.
  14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I’m surprised at so many who have never heard of the word. South Park isn’t as popular as I would have assumed I guess. Cartman let’s that one fly every once in a while.

But other than south park the only other time I have even heard the word was from my roommate from college who is Jewish. Him and his brother called each other the term when they were talking **** to each other, often during video games.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  15. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Out of curiosity, where did you grow up? I can honestly say I never knew met a Jewish person at my fairly large high school in Little Rock. I think I knew the word from literature around that age, but never heard it used as an insult.

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

no way . I mean cmon , everyone here has watched South Park lol

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

How many times have you used a word that you didn't know the meaning of? It'd be one thing if he used it in an innocuous context and it had the tone of a question (as if he actually didn't know the meaning).

But this dude purposefully and verbally said it out loud as part of an insult, while livestreaming on a platform accessible to anyone with an internet connection.

He might not have known exactly how hurtful the term was, but there's no way he didn't know anything about the word.

Should have just stuck with the f-word and b-word. That would be par for the course and no one would bat an eye.

Reeko likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's not a good enough player and he's got the wrong skin color to get away with hurling racial slurs like that. He's probably done.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

And what “skin color” does one need to have to “get away” with that particular racial slur?

AleksandarN and Killatron 2000 like this.
  20. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Yeah, I've heard of the word before as well. Beats me where the hell I heard it first, but yep.