1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. ClutchCity9495

Until Porter arrival, we haven't had a back up PG this season. We have had Gordon and Oladipo, and a few times Jones when here filling in. With Wall, Gordon, and Oladipo thrown out as trade bait, it is logical to assume Porter would start if Wall moved. Who would be back up PG. This is why, along with Wall contract, and seems Tilman wants one so called Big Name on the team, that I think Wall is still here. I like see us trade him if can get another good pick, and release the money off the cap. But wondering depth of that position, especially with lots of back to back games and Wall not playing some of those. We are thin at that position. When Wall sits, who backs up Porter? Our roster seems very imbalanced at C and PG.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm curious why so many assume KPJ can step in and start at PG at the highest level. Sure, his G-League highlights were good, but they were just that: G-League highlights. I want him to succeed as much as the rest of you do, and I'm not sure handing a 20-year-old control of the team is the best way to bring him along slowly.

And keep in mind, it's not like we'd be giving him the keys to a Ferrari. This team is more like a car made up mostly of junk-yard parts.

AXG, luckyman76, Reeko and 1 other person like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Patience, OP grasshopper, all secrets shall be revealed by March 25th.

Because reports or articles state a team wants John Wall or Eric Gordon, doesn't necessarily mean team A or B will buy Wall or Eric Gordon.
    Wanting and buying can be two separate things.

When the dust settles, we shall have a better understanding of who, where and why?

I'm guessing the waving of Mason Jones is prelude to the Rockets anticipation of taking back more players than going out? possibly?

And Mason Jones is eligible to be re-signed as well from what I understand (as a regular contract or 10 day)

...and if Patrick Fertitta has a say in the matter 5 more point guards-combo guards are on the way.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why does a backup PG matter when you’re tanking? The best thing to do right now is to have no backup PG, it helps to better ensure L’s.

Idk why people even bother to worry about stuff like this right now...WE’RE TANKING

5. foggy94

foggy94 Member

He’s going to have a rough time of it running point, it’s the hardest position for a young player to impact winning in unless you’re as good as Ja Morant and Luka Doncic. And since he’s not done it before (maybe he did in college actually, I don’t know) it will be even harder for him. I’m imagining plenty of 5+ turnover nights. In fact, he’ll probably average more than 5 turnovers per 36.

This is all completely fine. We want to tank right? This way we can lose but give the keys to him and let him learn and develop like D Book did when he took the PG role. He will be a better player for it in the long term.

Most likely he will be paired with a true point guard thoughtout his career but he will be able to take over if you stagger them as a combo-guard.

topfive likes this.
  6. quaczar

quaczar Member

We haven't had a backup PG since Prigioni.

D-rock likes this.
  7. csc177

csc177 Member

No one is taking Wall's contract - that was fake news leaked by the Rockets to stir up trade talk. Wall is the PG

No Worries likes this.
  8. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Exactly, GIGANTIC difference between giving the young guy quality minutes to get acclimated to NBA and starting from G-League. A ton of guys light up the G-League and I cannot name many of them that ever lit up the NBA and few of them we consider success stories that became role players. KPJ's situation is that he was a troubled but promising player. His start with us thus far confirms the assessment that this young man has a lot of skills and a HUGE amount of improvement required that justifies getting him good minutes on the court. He has done nothing yet to prove he is the starting PG. He needs to prove that he can be a reliable 6th man to justify increasing his minutes and role. If he can come on the court and be consistent in his role he can earn his minutes.

topfive likes this.
  9. txtodd

txtodd Member

Dante Exum is just two months away from being two months away.

D-rock and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Back up point: Aaron Gordon

Back up 5/Small ball 5: Aaron Gordon

And Rockets very likely drafting a point (Cade, Suggs) or a 5 (Mobley) if they luck into top 4 pick.