1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Info on Rockets Trade Market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Salaries wouldn't match, right? The Heat would have to throw in more to make the numbers work, and I doubt they do that. Plus, they can just get Oladipo this offseason anyway. The only reason Miami wants Oladipo now, is if they're contenders. And they're definitely not making another run to the Finals this season.

Their guard rotation is pretty solid, and I doubt they'd give up their biggest trade asset (aside from Luka obviously) for a rental. And just like the Heat, they aren't making it to the Finals this year. So why not wait and see if they could get Oladipo this summer?

raining threes likes this.
  2. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

He's been contributing better as of late. Nuggets fans were upset that coach Malone wasn't including him in sets on offense from what I saw. He was benched like 2 weeks ago in 4th quarter despite playing well, but I'd assume all is fine for now and the Nuggets still view him as a big piece of their future moving forward. If Nuggets are smart, he'd only be on table for a major upgrade, whoever that may be...

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, since both Robinson and Nunn have met the Starter Criteria, they are entitled to larger qualifying offers that will increase their cap holds in free agency. That’d lower their cap room to closer to $20 million. That’s probably not enough for Oladipo. Hence, trading for him (and his Bird rights) would probably be preferable. That way, they can keep any combination of him, Robinson, Nunn, Dragic and/or Olynyk...whoever they don’t end up trading.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Random Trade Suggestion a/k/a “Fun with TPEs”:

Miami receives: Victor Oladipo and Ben McLemore

Houston receives: Meyers Leonard (yeah, I know), Mo Harkless, Chris Silva and either Tyler Herro (not likely) or Precious Achiuwa (somewhat more likely), maybe a second round pick?

From Miami’s perspective, the trade is structured as follows:
    —All those players for Oladipo
    —McLemore via the Minimum Salary Exception

From Houston’s perspective, the trade is structured as follows:
    —Leonard into the Harden TPE
    —Harkless into the Capela TPE
    —Silva into the Bell TPE
    —McLemore for [Herro or Achiuwa]
    —Rockets generate a new $21 million TPE!!!

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Can you clarify on the TPE's. We can use that many? Is this season an exception?

6. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

PJ probably gets bought out or waived after the deadline, we already called up his replacement from the Vipers.

We may just have to settle for a 2nd round pick and maybe a reclamation project young player if we’re lucky.

7. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

With all the interest in PJ from multiple teams, there is no way he is bought out lol.

Richie_Rich, pippendagimp and D-rock like this.
  8. riko

riko Member

I think Rockets fans value him a little harder then other teams do. He is a banged up 35 year old dude who has regressed

clos4life and groovemachine like this.
  9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

i meant after the deadline if he’s not traded

10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

This is sadly true, unless he can hit the corner 3 I don’t see him being of any use at all to a contender

riko likes this.
  11. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Is that what Stone was betting on when trading for Oladipo? Would Miami want flexibility to sign their guys so much that they would give up on Herro to win now?

12. riko

riko Member

Exactly if you get a second rounder it’s a win

B-Bob and groovemachine like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Robinson is a really good player for a team competing for a deep playoff run. I just don’t want to win games that cost us draft positioning this season and next. I also don’t want to worry about signing role players until franchise players are on the roster.

I like players like Robinson, A Gordon and other names mentioned. However they won’t win us anything without the franchise cornerstones.

Richie_Rich, sydmill, topfive and 3 others like this.
  14. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

He’s been a very good corner 3 shooter for several years, and teams are aware he’s now playing on a tanking team. The league knows how he can immediately anchor a team defensively as well. I’m agreeing that a second round pick is acceptable, but I think you can get more for him. We’ll soon know the answer though, lol.

groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  15. Joe Willie

Joe Willie Member

I don’t understand the obsession with Herro. He would get destroyed on the defensive end.

javal_lon and D-rock like this.
  16. RLP55

RLP55 Member

If VO can return Achiuwa then the Rockets should be able to live with the rest of the filler. Don't think Herro is on the table. Would prefer KZ Okpala to Harkless, but beggars can't be choosers. If the Heat don't want McLemore then offer House or Tucker or any combo of that 3. Achiuwa starts from day one and fits with Wood and KPJ going forward. Silva and Leonard add much needed height/bulk to the 4/5 positions.

Good call Bima

17. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I don’t either. I guess since he’s only 21 and had a nice run in the playoffs last year people think he’s an up-and-coming star. This year his shooting has dipped considerably and he’s only shooting 34% beyond the ark. The biggest flaw he has is his lack of physicality that prevents him from getting into the lane. This is why his assist ratio is so low and he doesn’t shoot very many FTs. Now, Robinson, on the other hand, is a 6’7” kid that shot 44% on 3’s last year and is shooting over 39% this year. If the Rockets are looking for a spot up shooter, he’s a guy we should target

D-rock likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I have heard the Rockets feel zero pressure to deal Tucker now if they don’t get the deal they want because they can always move him the day of the deadline for the low offers they are getting now.

The Rockets are trying to get creative discussing taking on contracts beyond this year for players like Tucker and Oladipo in an effort to increase what they would get in trade. They have discussed moving Multiple players to one team and even three or four team deals in an effort to maximize their return.

They are open minded about what assets or players they get in return or even trade exceptions.

There is no deal on the table or being formed now.

Just my personal observation but you cannot get blood from a turnip. The Rockets assets are not as appealing as they appeared they would be 4-5 weeks ago. Stone (like Morey) can get creative but he is still dealing with mediocre assets. Essentially it will require pulling a rabbit out of the hat for this to not be an underwhelming deadline.

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think teams by now have a decent idea of what they'd get with House, Gordon, Tucker, McLemore. Oladipo is more of an enigma given him being in-and-out of the lineup, and when in the lineup, playing with a short deck given Wood's injury.

I don't know enough about Oladipo as a person, but you'd have to think 1) he'd have some interest in playing for non-Miami teams, and 2) that if he ends up a UFA, he's not going to go to Miami because they wont have the space to pay him what he'd command, and probably would not be interested doling it out even if they could.

Teams trading for Oladipo are taking a gamble on a piece they hope can deliver or are looking for an expiring contract (this latter reason probably has more to with GSW's rumored interest in him than any hopes of him fitting into their offense better than Wiggins).

Out of our available assets, House seems to me to have the highest value after Dipo. He's a starter, young, and capable of playing multiple spots on the floor. McLemore probably has the lowest value and I could see him going to a team like Dallas looking for a 3-point shooter.

20. deshen

deshen Member

I'd be more than happy if Eric Gordon trade can bring in a first round pick.

Oladipo has no positive value. I'd trade him for any pick, even second round.

if PJ Tuck can not trade for a first round, we better keep him here.

Wall could get us one or two first round, there is no need for his service.

picks, picks, picks. that is all we need, nothing else.