1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Boxing Movie Of All Time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by adoo, Mar 3, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The first rule of Fight Club is...

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not sure I've ever seen a boxing movie that I don't at least like....except Rocky V.

3. VanityHalfBlack

Is it available to stream anywhere?

#23 VanityHalfBlack, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  4. SuraGotMadHops

As an entire story arc, Rocky I - IV is just an incredible story. Rocky V never existed, nobody can tell me otherwise.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Not the goat boxing flick, but enjoyable nonetheless. As enjoyable as Diggstown anyway...

[​IMG]

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

This. I liked Ippo better than Rocky or Raging Bull.

Also this. For me Raging Bull isn't a "boxing movie" at all, or at least, it's not what I want out of one. The actual fights feel like an afterthought. The movie is about what goes on around and between the fights.

By comparison, Ippo is in the ring constantly, and everything else really becomes an afterthought. Thing had 100 episodes and they never even bothered resolving the love plot, because they were so focused on the fights. Dude goes through like 20 people.

But yeah, if we're talking strictly movies, then one of the Rockies. I don't have a strong opinion about which one really.

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Well said.

9. Buck Turgidson

The Fighter was fantastic, especially Bale, Melissa Leo, Amy Ryan, etc...

Even Marky Mark was perfect in that role.

Does Snatch count?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  10. Drexlerfan22

So, I have no doubt that no one really cares, but mostly inspired by this thread, I decided to just watch all the Rocky movies, in order, including the Creeds. Spent most of my weekend marathoning.

I had never seen past 4 before, and I had also never watched them in close proximity. Mostly I view them as one giant (and excellent) story. On balance I still put Ippo at least on par with it as one large story, but I came to appreciate the Rocky movies even more through this exercise. And surprisingly, I'd put Creed at #1. Though of course at its core, it's still Rocky really.

Since it's all fresh in my mind, I'd say if forced to ranked them, I would go thusly:
    1. Creed - The only reason I have any doubt about this is, I have no way of knowing if the Creeds would have the same impact without all that rich Rocky history to draw on. But even if they didn't I think they'd stand alone anyway. Michael B Jordan does a good job, and Stallone is just stellar as the mentor figure. Like really, really, really good. I actually like him even more in this role than as the leading man.
    2. Creed 2 - Same as above applies really. I think the main fight in the first was a bit better so it gets edged out to second spot.
    3. Rocky 2 - Possibly the best fight in the series that has Rocky himself in it, most satisfying ending, some of the best out-of-the-ring content too. Possibly as good as the Creeds, if the Creeds had to stand on their own without the Rocky history behind them.
    4. Rocky - It's hard to separate 1 and 4 for me, they are almost tied, but I thought the fight in 1 was a bit better and the out-of-ring stuff to be slightly more interesting.
    5. Rocky 4 - Great movie, almost tied with 1 for how high-stakes it felt and the emotional impact overall.
    6. Rocky 3 - Still liked it, but it felt low-stakes compared to most of the other movies, and the fights themselves felt too short and un-dramatic.
    7. Rocky Balboa (6) - Bad. I don't get why it got a good critical and audience reception. Maybe just because 5 was so terrible that it made anything seem great. The fight itself was okay if you could get past the too-ludicrous-even-for-this-series premise, but the rest of the movie seemed like dumb, obvious filler with no surprises anywhere, other than the fact it exists at all.
    8. Rocky 5 - Not as much worse from 6 as people think IMO, but yeah, super-cringey. No properly long, dramatic fight to be had at all really, and some of the dialogue decisions were total facepalms (my "favorite" was the son screaming "Knock the bum out; he TOOK MY ROOM!"). And god, the moving back to streets because of a twisted accountant was the most unimaginative, contrived plot device I can think of, ever. And yet it still made more sense than 6, even if 6 was better-told.
    ...ultimately, only those bottom two aren't good movies, IMO. A 6/8 hit rate is pretty great for a series!

jiggyfly and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Was a big fan of Guy Richie's early works: lock stock, and snatch. Then rock n' rolla happend and his stuff had been on the decline; few hits and more misses. Think getting with Madonna, ruined him a bit. He did Aladdin remake (bleh). The Gentlemen (2019) was a return to form.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. the shark

the shark Member

It's Rocky for me.

Raging Bull is incredible but it didn't move me the way Rocky did. Remember watching it the day it came out.

Hearing "gonna fly now" to this day gives me goose bumps.

Also the message of NEVER giving up!!!

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I don't agree with your rankings at all, but I can respect them and appreciate your logic. Especially egregious to me is Rocky 2 as the best Rocky, as I have it 3rd best, and arguably 4th. It just drags on way, way too much in the middle without anything going on. It does, however, have perhaps the very best overall moment of all the Rocky films -- when Adrian finally wakes from her coma after nagging Rocky over and over beforehand about how he should stop fighting, and tells him to win.

jiggyfly and Drexlerfan22 like this.
  14. Drexlerfan22

Yup, fair enough. And FWIW, the difference between each of the Rocky movies for me is really very small. It's splitting hairs. The top 6 are all close enough to me, that if someone argued 3 was better than Creed for example, which I have as 6th and 1st respectively, I'd be like "alright, fair, I can see why you might think that, they're both good movies."

What I would get passionate about is anyone saying 5 or 6 were the best. Because... come on. It's just not close.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

16. Aware

Aware Member

Do documentaries count?
    The Johnny Tapia documentary that hbo put out some years ago was excellent.

17. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

No argument there.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sort of off topic, but not really. I don’t like MMA at all really but I consider Warrior to be basically a boxing movie and thought it was pretty great.

19. elrond

elrond Member

I haven't really watched many live action boxing movies, so I'm going to have to agree with the Hajime no Ippo suggestions. It pretty much has everything, lots of humor, great characters, and cool action sequences. It also moves along at a decent pace, and although fights will take multiple episodes, it doesn't feel like they're getting dragged along like in some other anime where it feels like a single move takes up the whole episode.

It also has the Tv movie special Champion Road, so should still count :p

It's one of the few anime where I've followed the manga, which is still ongoing. Really wish they'd restart up the anime.

20. TheresTheDagger

I must be one of the few people on earth who doesn't like Raging Bull. I thought it was snoozeville.