1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Info on Rockets Trade Market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2021.

1. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

welp....thats kind of disappointing but not surprising...hopefully these next 2 weeks are used to up our players values...thanks for the info @Clutch

2. NateNate

NateNate Member

This is about what I reasonably expected.

3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Finally an insider with unquestionable credibility! As long as we unload all these PJ, VO and Gordon and come out with a few picks at the deadline I'll be happy. Not expecting much of a return really just get these guys off the court.

4. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

And the reality hits the fantasy for Rockets fan...hoping for the best :)

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If we get anything, like Sergei Lishouk, for these guys it's a veritable tub of gravy as far as I'm concerned.

I'm worried about giving stuff up to get rid of them given past events.

6. Nook

Nook Member

This seems to fit the pattern for Stone as well..... he drug out the Harden deal to the point where he had to move him. He moved Westbrook quickly, but the reality is that the Rockets just wanted Westbrook gone and he didn't have any real value.

I don't see a lot of value in any of the Rockets obvious trade targets. Oladipo turned down 45 million over two years. He turned down an extension with the Pacers for less than the max and there were reports he asked for a trade to Miami this off season.... yes he can defend, but he is about to turn 29 years old, is coming off a major injury, is not playing effectively and he plays as if he is a star player when it comes to the number of shots he takes. Unless there is a team (like the Rockets were a few years ago) that will take him on, knowing he will be over paid but figures it really puts them over the top, I cannot see the Rockets getting much at all for him.

I suppose someone like the Mavericks could deal a heavily protected #1, but they are still giving up picks to NY. So, if he is a pure rental, what do you get? Maybe a late #1 from the 5-6 teams that think they can actually win a title, and how many of them have salary matches and a need?

The list of possible destinations really dwindle. I would love to be surprised, but I think a late #1 is the most realistic return if he is moved at all.

While Gordon has shown he is healthy and has played better than he has in a few years, he is still making a good amount of money for a few years. Also I think Rocket fans over estimate his defense. In order to trade Gordon, the Rockets would likely need to take on a player with similar contractual terms and maybe the Rockets get a draft pick attached if the player they take back isn't good anymore.

Everyone wants PJ Tucker, but everyone also knows that he is slowing down, that he wants to maximize every dollar and that he is really a bench player. The Rockets were offered a protected #1 before the season started by at least the Wolves and supposedly another team as well. At this point they are not going to get much. The Rockets can hope someone like Denver gets thirsty and over pays, but I don't see it. Maybe the Rockets take on Harris and another contract in exchange for Oladipo or Gordon and Tucker.... and the Rockets get someone like Hampton or a protected #1.

I also don't buy all this nonsense about Miami wanting John Wall. The Heat have ZERO long term negative contracts, as they have Bam and Butler under contract and that is about it other than a couple players on rookie scale deals. No one wants to take on a contract paying John Wall 45 million a year. He would be a full MLE guy if he were on the market, and nothing more.

I am sure the Rockets can move players like Brown and Nwaba but they are going to get a second round pick.

The guys that they can move for value, are not likely to be traded. Christian Wood would bring a few first rounders, but nothing more because of injury concerns. I think they can likely get a late #1 for Tate because he is under contract for two additional years, but does that move the needle?

The Rockets need to rebuild through the draft, keep combing players overseas and in the GLeague and wait until they are in a position to deal with a team desperate to either move a salary for draft picks, or a team under estimates a player and the Rockets get them. Theoretically that would be a situation of M.Porter or another player goes to the Rockets.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Also thank you for sharing, due to the standing and popularity of this site and relationships with the media and the organization you cannot be completely transparent on many things. However this general overview should help fans and I appreciate the effort.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Wait...has this Clutch guy ever broken anything before? Can we trust him an an insider?

mikol13 and jiggyfly like this.
  9. s3ts

s3ts Member

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Clutch > BraBra

mikol13 and jiggyfly like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

VO is more valuable to a team that doesn't want to give up long term cap flexibility, but believes that VO will help them this year take another step or two in the playoffs. For example, a team like the Knicks or Dallas may decide that having VO the rest of the way helps them win a series, and figure it is worth a late #1 pick. I could see the Knicks, Mavericks, Hornets, Bulls, Hawks, Nuggets or Grizzlies decide it is worth it........ there are a lot of teams that haven't made the playoffs in awhile or won a series and may decide it is worth it. For example the Knicks, Hawks and Grizzlies all have had suffering fan bases recently and a playoff seed and possible competitive first round series has a lot of value.... and the front office and coach may think it buys them more time.... the Hawks front office is especially facing pressure.

Now, not all of these teams have contracts to trade and many of them may decide that Oladipo as a rental isn't worth it.... but it only takes 2-3 interested than can bump the Rockets into getting a #1 for him.... in which case Jarrett Allen turned into two mediocre #1 picks and getting out of Prince's contract.... nothing great, but at least it is something.

luckyman76 and raining threes like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

"The Houston Rockets have traded Sterling Brown to the Memphis Grizzlies for two medium side gravies from KFC." - WOJ

"We couldn't even get Popeye's gravy? WTF man." - BBS fans

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Makes the timing of the call ups from the Vipers more eye raising. If other NBA teams want to see more of a showcase from the vets prior to the trade deadline the franchise should have allowed the youngsters to finish up their playoff run and then work them in slowly. Such a sudden call up leads me to believe that there is going to be some animosity between players about playing time.

raining threes likes this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

the Vipers season is over.

They were called up one day early in the end.

the team is putting a lot of emphasis on Wednesday's practice.

I'm confused why they haven't made their deals yet if they care so much about one practice.

15. thekad

thekad Member

Basically, no one is interested in mediocre players making a ton of money. If you want to get value back, you’ll have to trade Wood or Tate.

Getting the corpse of Oladipo back as the best player in a trade sending away an MVP is GM malpractice. Expect more of that.

Nook likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's an important practice - I hear there's a players-only meeting on the way to discuss the 0-13 skid.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Right, but would it be over if KPJ was running the show? They had just blasted the team they were bounced by a few days earlier WITH KPJ. Just a strange handling of all the players and how Silas and Co will divvy up the PT.

According to Clutch other GMs want to see MORE from the vets and that will mean that KPJ and the youngsters will have to watch the soap opera unfold before the team can start to figure out who is going to stick long term. Im with you none of the vets are going to be here past this year or another, why delay?

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

That’s pretty much what I expect at this point. Maybe 1 protected first, a couple of 2nds and some guys on the latter half of their rookie deals.

19. HP3

HP3 Member

Need more mid range.

PiPdAdY33 likes this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Then I suspect you’ll be pleased in 2+ weeks.