1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long do you plan to wear a mask?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TWS1986, Mar 5, 2021.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

CV-19 vaccines are currently approved for emergency use. We usually know way more about a vaccine than we do about these. The effectiveness number tossed around with these CV-19 vaccines apply to how well they prevent symptomatic infections. We do not know the vaccine's effectiveness of preventing asymptomatic spread. As a corollary, we do not know how well the vaccine prevents CV-19 spread.

There are other "known unknowns".

We do not know the durability of the CV-19 vaccines. Does it last a year or not? Will we need a booster every 6/9/12 months?

We also do not know how effective the CV-19 vaccines are against current or future variants of CV-19.

Dr Angela Rasmussen/NY Times:

Does the Vaccine Stop Transmission?

How to understand the difference between vaccination to prevent Covid-19 and shots to halt infection.

Many scientists are reluctant to say with certainty that the vaccines prevent transmission of the virus from one person to another. This can be misinterpreted as an admission that the vaccines do not work. That’s not the case. The limited data available suggests the vaccines will at least partly reduce transmission, and the studies to determine this with more clarity are underway. There should be more data within the next couple of months. Until then, precautionary measures like masking and distancing in the presence of unvaccinated people will remain important.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good knowledge. Maybe doesn't belong in D&D. :D

No Worries likes this.
  3. No Worries

When talking about CV-19, I sometimes go full-on D&D ;)

TWS1986 and tinman like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Until my under-16 children can get the vaccine.

TWS1986 and tinman like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Ask me again in August.

deb4rockets and TWS1986 like this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's why people who have been vaccinated should still respect others by wearing a mask to avoid spread upon the vulnerable, who have not been vaccinated. We aren't even close to reaching even 50% of people fully vaccinated, and who knows how long it will be until we reach anything close to herd immunity.

Allowing 100% occupation of super spreader type places like bars is just reckless and dangerous at a time we need to focus on getting closer to that goal. The last thing we need is a new spread of different strains, which could be deadlier than before.

malakas and No Worries like this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It seems reasonable to assume that the vaccine would reduce transmission the same as it does for any other communicable disease.

What seems most important is determining the length of effectiveness and effectiveness in stemming variant uptake & effects.

TWS1986 and No Worries like this.
  10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Studies out of Israel, who has one of the highest % vaccinated, have confirmed the vaccine is reducing spread. Whether or not the spike protein stays similar between variants for the vaccine to help is still TBD.

11. No Worries

You might be correct. Moderna and Pfizer are both mRNA vaccines, without any track record. The J&J vaccine is based on their Ebola vaccine, which is also relatively new tech. We will hope for the best.

malakas, B-Bob and TWS1986 like this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Released today.

Interim Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People
    Updated Mar. 8, 2021

This guidance will be updated and expanded based on the level of community spread of SARS-CoV-2, the proportion of the population that is fully vaccinated, and the rapidly evolving science on COVID-19 vaccines.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

The following recommendations apply to non-healthcare settings.

Fully vaccinated people can:

• Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
    • Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
    • Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic
    For now, fully vaccinated people should continue to:

• Take precautions in public like wearing a well-fitted mask and physical distancing
    • Wear masks, practice physical distancing, and adhere to other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people who are at increased risk for severe COVID-19disease or who have an unvaccinated household member who is at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease
    • Wear masks, maintain physical distance, and practice other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people from multiple households
    • Avoid medium- and large-sized in-person gatherings
    • Get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms
    • Follow guidance issued by individual employers
    • Follow CDC and health department travel requirements and recommendations

No Worries, durvasa and seemoreroyals like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Yay or No on the mask?

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Over 300m people have been vaccinated worldwide with these vaccines. We will be approaching a billion soon. Real world data. I don’t think we can say no track record anymore ;). This is the biggest of Big Data ever in vaccination history against a virus and its variants. Now compute away.

No Worries likes this.
  15. Duncan McDonuts

I'm still wearing it. In high chance exposure situations, eg closed rooms with strangers for more than 10 min, I wear my N95. In areas where I merely pass people for moments, I'll wear a surgical mask. When outdoors, among neighbors and people in my bubble, I don't really wear it. I'll wear a mask at a playground when we're around others. I don't wear it when walking on a trail. I'll just hold my breath if I'm walking past someone.

I'm more comfortable eating at restaurants, but I'll opt for outdoor seating that's ideally distanced from others. I'll eat inside on occasions, but only when the wife nags for it.

I'm not concerned about asymptomatic spread. it's highly unlikely in my opinion. The studies seem to support that. In the unlikely event I do get COVID, I'll probably have a mild case. Then I'll quarantine or wear an N95 if I must go out.

16. HTM

HTM Member

I'm not edgy. I'm totally vaccinated but I'll keep wearing one in the appropriate circumstances until it's obvious that's not what society is asking me to do anymore. Just out of politeness. It's not a big burden.

Aware, tinman, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  17. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Are you in the medical field? Just a random question I wondered.

18. Duncan McDonuts

I work in eye care.

tinman likes this.
  19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Ahh, gotcha :).

tinman likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

are you counting numbers in countries like china or north korea?
    remember nobody in north korea got the rona according to state media
    probably nobody got a vaccine too
    @Os Trigonum