1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Rockets should Tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Highlyrated, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Rumors are now circulating that Rockets intend not to tank after calling up Kpj and Martin Jr. Rockets need to decide what do they really want .Do they want short term success and that comes with a win now try to make playoffs or do they want long term success which includes tanking and hopefully keeping that top4 pick(52% chance). Many dont like tanking which is understandable and I admit its very hard to watch Rockets lose constantly over and over again. But Rockets and fans need to understand that to win chips you need stars and at the minimum you need 3 or you got to have 2 top 10 guys. So far Rockets got 1 star in wood now you need 2 more. Kpj is talented and still needs to improve his 3 point efficiency.
    Look at the Astros, they were so bad but with that they were able to draft top tier talent and their scouting department did an amazing job along with the Gm. My draft board is
    1. Cade
    2. Green
    Mobly is excluded cause we already got a center and suggs/kuminga have shown to have potential.
    If you are able to secure Cade,green or kuminga you have a more talented roster vs drafting in 20's. Also please get rid of John wall contract if possible.
    Most stars get drafted with a top14 pick not in 20s.
    If we decide to Tank and for some reason dont get a top 4 pick we wont hate management because we know it was the wisest move to make. But we do have a currently 52% chance at landing a top4 ,the odds are on our favor.

astros123, Le$$ and Lloyd Estacio like this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rumors are circulating about paragraphs

3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think those call ups indicate that they aren’t tanking. But I agree with the overall premise. I’m excited to see them play. And I’m all for trading Oladipo, Tucker and Gordon and getting this this rebuild going ASAP. No need to tiptoe around it.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

at this point, if u still don’t understand why the Rockets should be tanking, and you’re not fully onboard, then Idk what else to say other than there’s something off mentally

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Rumors are circulating!!

[​IMG]

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets dont need to tank if top 4 pick is their goal.

Bundle their assets and go up and get their man.

Tanking and praying for a top 4 pick was a poor strategy anyway, too many variables outside of your control.

7. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Lots of words.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I would agree usually if we are talking about tanking 30+ games and a shot of making an 8th seed, but when you get to the point of 10-15 games left in the season and we are in the same position with no playoff chances, limited crowd, best player coming off of an injury and no sense in rushing back, I am beginning to think tanking 10-15 games in a shortened season will be worth the risk.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don't see the point of trying to win as many games as we can with this current group? We are dealing most of them away.

for honor or morals?

Shouldn't the Rockets had said no to Olajawon, "No, we good, it was just because Ralph Sampson was injured that we were that bad.
    Sampson is back now......it feels right morally that we (the Rockets) pick in somewhere around pick #14".

Shouldn't the Spurs had said no to Tim Duncan, "No, we don't feel like we (Spurs) are that bad, because David Robinson was injured.
    "David Robinson is back and all is good. Let someone else pick first......we prefer to draft somewhere near #18.". It feels honorable.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Don't worry, the Rockets calling up KMART Jr will change nothing except make them lose with more fun plays. He doesn't have an NBA skill set at the moment.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think Rockets are a bit beyond "why" they should tank.

They already know "why" - the team reeks to high heaven.

raining threes likes this.
  12. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

There shouldn’t be a debate about tank vs no tank at this point...

regardless of our keep the pick percentages the reasons are clear

I will judge Stone based on how he handles this deadline.. we called up the youngsters (a bit early in my opinion) but I will be disappointed if their playing time is limited because we keep veterans unnecessarily... ship them out and let’s head in a new direction and start building

IvanLCPM, Highlyrated and D-rock like this.
  13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Wait!
    What!
    We are thinking about tanking???!!!!:eek:

WTF is wrong with this organization.... o_O

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hey Brilliant,

Have you considered even once that there's a 48% chance we're tanking for Oklahoma's benefit?

Signed,

Percentages

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone saying all right things but need him to DO more of the right things.

Highlyrated likes this.
  16. Le$$

Le$$ Member

If Miami wants Wall you probably should just let him go. He going to really enjoy this mess? or being able to play around Butler and Bam. Comon now. I see where you get younger, but you should atleast trade for youth/expiring if you dont want picks.

Yea the rockets where pretty good for 8 years but still if you rebuild threw the draft its going to take atleast 5 years to get to the playoffs. imo

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Rumors are circulating yule c

juanm34 and D-rock like this.
  18. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Yea I got you in the future,I did this on laptop

19. Mattician

Mattician Member

The Rockets haven't been in a situation to potentially pick this high in a very long time.

Winning is pointless. They'll just have to give the pick away..

Tank, tank, tank!

20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

We need a center you less than smart fan. What part of losing 12 games in a row without Wood makes you think otherwise. Wood is too skinny to play that position full time without frequent injury. He needs to be moved to power forward, but our moron coach/management caneved figure out tge obvious.