1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dr. Seuss cancelled

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SuraGotMadHops, Mar 2, 2021.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol the simple minded always want to paint the complex minded in some type of 'label'

i've always told these suckers what faction i belong to

it's the 99ers

and i don't see these newbs as nothing else but newbs

the entire Clutchfans forum, all of it, was made for the most loyal rockets fans of all

this ain't some political message board, it's just here cause the creator didn't want garbage in the front yard
    @J.R.

J.R. likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

most of what you say here could possibly also be said to justify book banning. but that's fine as far as it goes

THIS is the more troubling thing that you say, because you paint with far too broad a brush. It is possible, you know, to take a principled stand against a publishing decision like this one--based on the reasons the publisher itself has given--and have it NOT be motivated by what you describe: "Those against the decision really are not happy with the modern values of 2021."

That is simply a lazy cop-out and a facile explanation relying nearly 100% on ad hominem rather than taking the nature of those complaints seriously. Those who oppose book banning, for example, are not always motivated by racism or conservativism or neanderthal values or by whatever the current slurs are against people taking principled stands.

yes, they do. For example the liberal, Democratic party values of my youth regarding freedom of belief and freedom of expression are being replaced by a self-righteous dogmatism that simply asserts "it's my way or the highway on this one and every one."

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not sure what’s weird about it.

The decision was made last year and they waited until his bday to announce it. Looks clearly like a PR move.

If I have to guess, these 6 books were not a big part of their book’s revenue. It’s simply a smart business decision to continue to update branding to reflect current time. Smart and successful business takes proactive steps and never sit still.

I just checked Amazon. These 6 classic books and their collection are OOS. But you can still get ebook version of them ( so much for “cancelling”). Their other books and collections are also OOS. Brilliant PR move ;)

https://www.seussville.com/statement-from-dr-seuss-enterprises/

Today, on Dr. Seuss’s Birthday, Dr. Seuss Enterprises celebrates reading and also our mission of supporting all children and families with messages of hope, inspiration, inclusion, and friendship.

We are committed to action. To that end, Dr. Seuss Enterprises, working with a panel of experts, including educators, reviewed our catalog of titles and made the decision last year to cease publication and licensing of the following titles: And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, If I Ran the Zoo,McElligot’s Pool, On Beyond Zebra!,Scrambled Eggs Super!, and The Cat’s Quizzer. These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong.

Ceasing sales of these books is only part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises’s catalog represents and supports all communities and families.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Umm... No.

If you don't like the private comapny's decisions, use the free market mechanisms and don't buy Dr. Seuss books.

This might be your dumbest hill you died on

#144 fchowd0311, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Deckard and JuanValdez like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

The same arguments have been made for many generations. The same arguments have been made in regards to the response to the Civil Rights Movement, the Women’s Movement, Gay Rights and others.

This is a privately owned entity that on their own accord has decided to remove a handful of children’s books out of circulation. No government forced them to. They choose to.

Time changes and what is socially acceptable does as well. Uncle Ben’s and Aunt Jemima.... before that it was Uncle Remus and Sambo.

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

understood. but one of the things this topic has led me to is the enormous philosophical debates about copyright and intellectual property. I was never aware of the extent to which there are critics of copyright, and in fact I may start a new thread (it deserves its own thread) on just that topic, so as to avoid the taint of the Dr. Seuss case example.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I think it is a mistake to coddle those not educated and/or culturally incurious. Censorship is anti-intellectual and runs counter to a free and open liberal society.

8. fchowd0311

So were is the censorship happening in this case?

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I was speaking generally, not sure I understand your specific question.

10. Nook

Nook Member

That is fair, and yes copyright and IP is a very contested area. I know a little about it from some clients my firm has. It isn’t a black and white area... and usually people can see both sides of the topic.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Progressives Aren’t Liberals":

http://theglitteringeye.com/progressives-arent-liberals-2/

Progressives Aren’t Liberals
    by Dave Schuler

It takes Ross Douthat a very long time to get to his point about “cancel culture” in his New York Times column but he does get around to it eventually:

I don’t expect “The Cat in the Hat” to be unpublished or my own tracts to swiftly vanish. But it was a good thing when liberalism, as a dominant cultural force in a diverse society, included a strong tendency to police even itself for censoriousness — the ACLU tendency, the don’t-ban-Twain tendency, the free-speech piety of the high school English teacher.

Now liberal cultural power has increased, the ACLU doesn’t seem very interested in the liberties of non-progressives anymore, and Dr. Seuss sells as pricey samizdat.

I don’t know what awaits beyond this particular Zebra, and I’d rather not find out.

The problem is that progressives aren’t liberals. Liberals defend freedom. I don’t know what progressives believe in these days. Power, that’s for sure. Beyond that I simply don’t know. I’m not a progressive.

Presumably, he’s making what is another example of a slippery slope argument. It certainly look looks like there’s a chain of steps in a bad direction involved.

12. fchowd0311

It looks like click bait that has no relevance on this subject matter. Are proggressives the ones running the business that owns the rights to Drm Seuss books. You keep on claiming that you are arguing about intellectual property rights and still keep on going back to proggressives/leftists/liberals censoring. No one was asking for it before this company made the decision. It was out of their own will power because they believed it would be a wise business decision.

Proggressives care less about "woke politics" like how many transgender people are in the Presidebts's cabinet and more about sincere genuine economic reform.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I actually agree with some of this, there is a certain section of progressives that would want power at all cost and would be ok with some form of censorship but I can't paint the entire progressive can't be branded like that.

I really blame the media for amplifying this type of stuff, now everybody and their mother is working on a think piece trying to find the next thing to cancel.

At some point people are gonna start tuning out things that actually need to be examined.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You seem confused. This wasn't even a "canceling" yet you are using it as evidence of progressives cancelling something.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

The new generation is not educated
    They learn from tik tok

China is smart
    They exploiting our dumb kids and somehow making them dumber through their app
    @rocketsjudoka

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

18. fchowd0311

One of the biggest complaints about proggressives from mainstream liberals is they think economic reform solves everything such as race relations. Proggressives arent the ones who do things like make the racial make up of cabinet members a major deal.

In fact I've heard this exact accusation hurled at Bernie Sanders many different times.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

With that opinion, how do you describe the education of the older generations?

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Glue in the hair and eating tide pods