1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coming 2 America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Anyone think they’ll make a Part III?

Jontro likes this.
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Reread my post again...

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

wats more disappointing. this or wanda's season finale?

DreamShook likes this.
  4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

THIS.

SAME ROLE. SAME OBNOXIOUS "ACTING."

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

BEING LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY MAKE YOU FUNNY!!!

TMac'n, TWS1986, Andre0087 and 4 others like this.
  5. CrazyJoeDavola

He just wants to make sure everyone knows he has at least 3 friends...............

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just awful. Such a missed opportunity. They put WAAAAAAYYYYYY too much effort and time into the old cast and no where near enough effort into the story. They even messed up Randy Watson.

So full of disappoint.

Jontro likes this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I liked it
    I enjjoyed it
    did not take it too seriously

Wesley Snipes was hilarious

Rocket River

jelanit likes this.
  8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It was cute. I also liked Wesley's performance. He felt in his element and, at times, I felt like I was watching his character in "New Jack City".

I did miss Darryl and Patrice. Both actors were unavailable due to their other ongoing commitments. They could have had a good side story in the film.

TMac'n, Yung-T and Rocket River like this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

And that absolutely none of them ever wear masks during a pandemic and are ultra successful in their careers.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then maybe I’ll watch it. I really like Wesley and Eddie. Arsenio not nearly as much. About 95% of the reactions to seeing it posted here made me not want to sully my fond memories of the original.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watched both the original and this one in a row tonight with my wife and two daughters. None of them had seen the first one, which held up pretty well. I completely forgot Don Ameche and the other guy from Trading Places had cameos in the original movie, that was great.

I didn't have high expectation for the new one, so I just enjoyed it for what it is. My kids really liked it, they thought it might even have been better than the original in their opinion. I thought it dragged a bit in the middle. Still a good double feature with the family in an evening. The numerous cameos were great.

TMac'n, jiggyfly, DreamShook and 2 others like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dont do it.. If you hold the first one in high regard this will make you sad. It's not a bad movie, but it's not good either.

Deckard likes this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Coming to America and Trading Places were both directed by John Landis; They are kind of in the same universe. This sequel should have leaned in to that even more. Nothing can really replicate the charm of the first film, might as well go more meta fully merging C2A and Trading Places universes.

Os Trigonum, Deckard and Rocket River like this.
  14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I like it for what it is. Light hearted movie with some remembrances of fond memories.

Poloshirtbandit and Smokey like this.
  15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

That is Leslie’s shtick and apparently also racist to point out - I believe she has said so herself.

ROXTXIA and STR8Thugg like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great mention of John Landis, Coming to America, and Trading Places, the latter an act of genius, as far as I’m concerned. Besides those two, he directed the hilarious classic Animal House, as well as The Three Amigos (“Let’s ride!”).

Another one of his best is The Blues Brothers, made at the height of disco. It did great things for Motown, which was struggling at the time. The soundtrack is fantastic, of course. Landis had hell getting The Blues Brothers on screen after it was finished, due to the amount of prejudice that existed then in Hollywood (not that it’s disappeared). He was astonished that he had to cut large parts of it because it was considered “too Black,” otherwise some of the large theater chains wouldn’t book it. Lunacy.

Landis can do horror as well as comedy. His An American Werewolf in London is considered a classic of the genre today. Parts of it are funny. Guess he can’t help himself!

boomboom and DreamShook like this.
  17. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

If thinking she is annoying and not funny is racist then I am Ty Cobb.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just finished it.

Almost turned it off halfway through. Glad I didn’t, second half was funnier.

Too big of shoes to fill imo. It was cute. I didn’t hate it, didn’t love it.

19. Poloshirtbandit

The scene with Leslie Jones putting a candle to her cooch is gonna ruin me forever. Aside from her I thought the movie was ok.

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Started slow, very predictable, but still enjoy it. It's like comfort food, you know it's not gourmet, but you are still fond of it.

Edit: I was ok with Leslie Jones. To me she's like kramer and screech, characters that annoy the heck out of you, but provides an uneasy contrast for all the other character to play off of.

#100 wizkid83, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021