1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Holy Sh*t - Someone might be interested in trading for John Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 5, 2021.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

its not the contract that even bothers me about Wall. Jsut not a fan of the way he plays with the team. He plays the opposite of his position he holds. Like ppl said he wasnt Getting Wood the ball when he was healthy. I worry about the development of our young players with potential because of wall. Like he’s not the mentor type. I feel like like he’s the type to stunt the growth and development of our youngin’s. He’s not cp3 . He doesn’t get others involved. His style of play isn’t beneficial to get the most out of offense. he basically plays Gordon role.

hakeem94, Rockets4Life13 and D-rock like this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

john wall is clearly back healthy and in a year his contract will be an asset. i don't think it's crazy that a contending team would want to see if they could get him for cheap to make a run.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I feel like I'm the Franchise Stagnating Player.

hakeem94, rockets1995 and D-rock like this.
  4. HROZ

HROZ Member

Adebayo Finney-Smith Butler are elite defenders. Wall is a good defender & the rest are decent.

They'll do as good as anyone.
    Wall on Irving
    Butler on Harden
    Finney-Smith on Durant

Adebayo behind them to help out.

If they're worried about the defence trade Nunn instead of Harkless.

I presume we get Nunn & give Dallas House.

banzai likes this.
  5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I'll take a kilo of the good stuff a bottle of whiskey and a bunch of hookers from miami! They can take him!

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

This is the exact situation/scenario I posted last week. But the know it all Harden weiner suckers shot it down
    [​IMG]

7. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

At 30-years-old, Wall is having a pretty good season considering he’s been out of basketball for the better part of the past two years. He’s playing solid defense and shooting over 34% from 3, dishing out 6 dimes a games, and getting to rack with some explosiveness. When he gets fouled he’s shooting is 75% from the FT line.

For comparison sake, Westbrook is now 32 and shooting 29% from 3, 42% on 2’s, getting around 9 assist a game. When fouled he’s hitting only 53% on his FTs.

tycoonchip likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You can't move the Wall. You can only go under it.

[​IMG]

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Or develop them after acquiring via trade or FA.

Moses and Harden say "hi".

10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I think this argument is a false premise with no correlation to what is really going on. OKC is tanking and doing it right. We are not. High picks have value and not just in taking the player. There are no guarantees but you have to try and its not just the first pick. If you look at the last 20 or so years picks from the top 5 are where most of the stars you dream of getting originate. The golden tickets.

The bigger point here is dumping Wall.....IF THIS IS REAL....is that you take a horrible bloated negative asset you would usually have to attach picks to trade and may be able to break it up into little nuggets of gold that you can reprocess multiple times because a contending team gets desperate. They will always be desperate like we were when we couldn't dump Ryno. Look at the hockey trade lineages or the Gretzky trade or other trades to see what harvesting value looks like. Before Harden, Morey was good because he kept bending over to pick up nickels and dimes to churn a subpar asset into a very good asset. Kind of like how a grocery store generates profit through cycling inventory. Wall BLOCKS that ability. Smaller contracts with shorter years provide us the ability to churn through the roster and find pieces of gold in all corners and collect assets. Morey essentially acquired every player out of the 2009 draft at one point. Get comfortable with getting acquainted with half the league at some point. To rebuild this team we are going to have to go through a lot of players and acquire picks and package things to get to a team that works. This is what happens when you have to start over. The smart ones get to zero as quickly as possible and start making the hard trek down the right path.

Your post resembles more the crew that try to put humpty dumpty back together again over years. It's time to get our assets aligned and rebuild from the ground up. With Sampson and Dream we immediately went to the Finals in the Showtime era. If we had been smart and actually accepted the Sampson trade we would have had Jordan, Drexler, Dream and who knows what else and dominated the league for 15 years. There are no guarantees except if you don't have a golden ticket you don't have a chance. Morey stole a golden ticket in Harden that he squandered through mistakes. We have to accept reality and try again. Keeping the roster open, landing high picks, acquiring and packaging picks and assets through trade, and when ready striking in free agency is the strategy. Tanking is not a strategy but part of an overall plan and you don't succeed by playing the game with one hand tied behind your back. We need all tools at our disposal. Hinkie succeeded and where is Morey right now?

sydmill and CVcrew like this.
  11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I like the Wall for Kemba plus assets trade but I have the feeling that trade will be available next year (or the next) as long as Wall stays healthy. Maybe the Rockets can get more in the long term as a trade asset and more as a short term team asset out of Wall. Then again... a bird in the hand is better than a **** in the woods... or something like that.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You can't be choosey if someone is willing to take him you trade him because the odds of his body holding up until that contract is over aren't good.

luckyman76, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  13. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Ahh, I get it, Pink Floyd reference. Nicely done.

Easy, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Only takes $32,903,936 in outgoing salary to acquire Wall. Dragic and Iggy are just enough.

Only issue here is Dragic would have to agree to the trade as he would lose his bird rights in doing so.

Another option is Iggy , Olynyk and $5,305,693 in aggregate salary .... keep in mind that the Rockets would need an open roster spot for each player above the number taken in.

luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's a good point - Miami would likely have a worse pick after making this deal and the odds are 48% that we end up with their pick.

But ... which is more valuable to a rebuilding team: Shedding an albatross of a contract or a few picks difference in a pick that's outside the lottery to begin with ?

I'll shed Wall's contract if at all possible for those few draft positions.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Remember there is a floor of 90% of the cap that teams must spend ....

Taking on salary for assets to reach that floor isn't such a bad idea .... so long as those contracts you do take on don't screw up your timeline.
    You might take the final year of Blake Griffin for a #1 pick .... but you wouldn't take 3 years of Westbrook.

luckyman76 likes this.
  17. foggy94

foggy94 Member

What would you do with it?

(edit- never mind, saw the rest of the discussion )

18. mightybosstone

To be fair, though, half of that trade makes no sense. Why are the Lakers swapping point guards and Philly swapping 3 and D players to get older guys in return who aren't significantly better on paper?

RudyTBag and D-rock like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS 1000 TIMES

D-rock likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Q: The Heat are at least one more “dominant make a basket” player away from being a serious contender. Jimmy Butler is the only player with the ability to stop the scoreless bleed cycles this team goes through during critical junctures of games. While Tyler Herro may one day be that type of player, he’s not currently, and Bam Adebayo can be stopped by more physical equally athletic centers. Trading for Bradley Beal, even if it means giving up Tyler Herro in a package, makes more sense to me than it did at the start of the season. -- Brian.

A: But Tyler Herro is not nearly enough to get you Bradley Beal. But it might be enough to get you in the conversation for Victor Oladipo, or, now, as the rumors are going, John Wall. So is that enough to not only upgrade the Heat in the moment, but also for the long term? Because once you acquire and eventually re-sign Oladipo or add Wall, you’re basically out of the cap-space race. I’m not sure Jimmy Butler, Bam Adebayo and Victor Oladipo (or the current version of John Wall) get you past Kevin Durant, James Harden and Kyrie Irving.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...0210306-zkmcfwi7qvcqtgpm2bdr56y3ra-story.html

Yeah, no way Riley thinks Wall or Oladipo are the missing piece.

treyk3, D-rock, Mr Woods and 2 others like this.