1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pattonly Absurd? Can Justin Patton be a core member of the rebuilding Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mdinc14, Feb 28, 2021.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This reads like we only have two or three moves to create a championship. I hope you're right, but what's wrong with having some steps in between and these being one of them?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So...Patton and Wood lack foot speed??
    Patton is slower than Tucker.

Rocket River

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

THere are lots of successful bigs that are not quick.

DD

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. Multiple laps slower. Also, one can defend in space and one can not.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are and have been successful players at every position that are not quick.

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Plays really soft right now. But he can walk and chew gum at the same time.

7. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

As the third center, It's OK

8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

No more than a homeless man's KAT…definitely we gonna cut him one day. we add him to our roster cuz in the process of rebuilding.

9. fattz

fattz Member

I want to add to this thought...
    Maybe we should look at building trade assets more than fit for now. If we trade Patton away we turned a G league signing into something of value. If we continue to do that over and over we will have a lot of value.

Like putting together a puzzle. We don’t even know what pictured on the box. Don’t throw away any piece just yet because it’s the wrong shade of Rocket red—> we are Oiler blue now, I think. Ketchup, Mustard, White, Black, Gray... idk & neither do they.

If it has value keep it or trade it for someone for more value.

10. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Patton is his own ceiling.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'm sure you're right that there are plenty of steps in between. developing assets is part of asset collection. Patton can be one of them. however there's only 4-5 players each decade capable of leading a team to a championship, and we have a good shot in 22 and 23 which are supposed to be very strong classes. I wouldn't want to sacrifice our draft position in those years by winning meaningless regular season games.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

I think he’s fine as a backup that occasionally plays with wood from what I’ve seen. Still young. I really hope we wind up able to sign him full time (and mase, too) so we can get lamb and brooks as 2-ways

Patton and mase have proven they can play in the league...2-ways should be for guys that need to prove themselves

I know I keep harping that point, but it’s really bugging me...we’re rebuilding and I don’t want lamb or brooks to get scooped up while we’re stalling on signing patton (and mase)...make our trades sooner than later to make it possible

Shark44 likes this.
  13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

JW, agree and I have the same fear. I actually believe that Lamb and Brooks may have more potential than Patton and Jones. Patton didn't really prove himself and Jones hasn't done much since his little run (alibi not much PT). If we can move some vets it will be interesting to see what the team does with L/B.

Jwise44 likes this.