1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blake Griffin agrees to buyout w/ Pistons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was wondering the same thing

I think I would have Boogie and Blake play one on one
    for a spot on the team

Agreed. Brooklyn has plenty of shooters
    they need jumpers and speed guys

Rocket River

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Thinking Blake is washed too, but he wouldn't be the first guy to go to a new team and look decent again. Most recently Nic Batum comes to mind.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. vator

Might still be something there. Harden did resurrect Jeff Green's career. He will be wide open the majority of the time he is on the floor.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

He's definitely done as one of your teams better players but Blake will barely play on the nets if at all. He's nothing more than a vet ring chaser right now, who at least has a relevant understanding of the game. it wouldn't be surprising for him to have some spot decent games while being there with so much attention elsewhere on the floor. And whenever games are complete blowouts. All the nets need are guys who understand their roles, wherever they can fit and the big 3 simply by being great can put them in positions to be a contributor

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Blake aged a decade over the past two seasons.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL no.

Have you seen him lately he is about as bad as Boogie.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is a better shooter and ball handler than cousins.

Sanctity and Patience like this.
  8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Stay away Brooklyn!!!

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He is also shorter.

I don't think he that much better a shooter or ball handler to make a difference.

If they just needed bodies I would say yes but Green can do everything Blake can do now better.

10. csc177

csc177 Member

Lol if the nets don’t win the chip now maaaaaannmnn

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

You better get on that C-train brother.

12. vator

What we know Blake can still do and ways the Nets can use him.

1. Skilled player. Run 5 out offense. He is a ball mover, he is a good passer, and can operate from the high post
    2. Run pick and roll or pick and pops
    3. Handles the ball better than most at his position
    4. Can knock down open spot-up three-pointers

We don’t know if he can defend at a high level, be an occasional vertical threat anymore, or stay healthy. Leaning towards no on all 3 of these.

jiggyfly, hakeem94 and Patience like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

the last part 3 are pretty much no's but being an end of bench guy doesn't exactly entail all 3 as a absolute must. he's definitely not a lob threat anymore. He hasn't dunked in over a year and counting I believe, he's never been known as a defender, and his health is what it is now but not having much of a workload could help him actually at this stage. Since he won't be playing much if at all. The key is just taking what he can still do like you have listed and looking at it through the lens of a spot bench player on a team that just needs the little gaps filled rather than one of your best players. his contract in Detroit was horrific lol

#33 YOLO, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Because of a Blake Griffin buyout signing?

Patience likes this.
  15. riko

riko Member

Griffin and harden pick and roll? I doubt he has much hops left but if he has any those harden lobs can get it out of him. Plus he is still a pretty good passer and playmaker. Off the bench for 10 to 15 minutes a night for the minimum not to bad

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. vator

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He would be a perfect fit in Brooklyn. Either off the bench or starting at center. He's a good passer within any offense and hopefully, if he can limit himself to pick and rolls in the scoring department, he can maintain some health and recover a bit. He can hit the occasional outside shot too, so better for spacing

His load would be so much less on a team as talented as Brooklyn, I think it could really work out

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The concept of the "superteam" is nothing new. The Rockets formed one with Clyde/Barkley/Hakeem that fell short. The Bulls formed some (even if they did so more organically) with Jordan/Pippen/Grant, then Jordan/Pippen/Rodman/Kukoc. Then there was the 2004 Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton team. Don't even get me started on those old Celtics and Lakers teams...

The LeBron/Wade/Bosh combo was not even as good as many of those teams. Wade and especially Bosh were highly overrated components, especially after 2011. That team only generated so much noise because of the free agency and cahoots drama. But on paper, it wasn't THAT special outside of LeBron.

You need a lot of luck to win it all in the NBA, and sometimes players make their own luck by trying to stack the deck after they've played for sh!tty organizations for a while. But the only superteam that I REALLY hated was the Durant Warriors, and that was for a great many reasons more than just how many good players they compiled (though the level of relative talent was truly unprecedented). Joining the team that just made a 1-3 comback against you after winning 73 games AND a title two years prior is just unbelievable.

I'll stop myself before I digress too much, but yeah, you're def on a silly old man soapbox. Your argument just doesn't carry water IMO. More often than not, throughout history, you need crazy talent to win titles, if for no other reason than to get the refs on your side (see: 2018 Rockets).

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Happy retirement Blake.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Blake looks so done. He looks like 50 year old guy running around out there. What Amare looked last the last few seasons of his career.