1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long do you plan to wear a mask?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TWS1986, Mar 5, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Probably throughout the year.

I am a teacher and usually get everything that's going around so I might do it longer for work.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s hard to say. It won’t have anything to do with me. I’ll have more confidence once I get the vaccine but I probably won’t change much of what I do until the numbers are down significantly.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  3. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Until I see CDC guidance indicating its no longer necessary.

4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

UH Alums are no dummies :).

5. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Tell that to my wife! ;p

TWS1986 likes this.
  6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Probably forever. It's nice to go somewhere without brushing my teeth and just putting on a mask.

7. Spooner

Spooner Member

I'm getting vaccinated on sunday and plan to wear one consistently for the next few months. Even vaccinated people can be carriers apparently so its common courtesy right now.

B-Bob and NotInMyHouse like this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Plummeting?

May 1- June 1 (957 Texas Covid deaths)

Now fast forward to February.
    Jan31 - March 1 (6,965 Texas Covid deaths)

Last 3 days we averaged 277 deaths a day. We led the nation. I wouldn't call any of this plummeting.

B-Bob, Xenon, T_Man and 1 other person like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Word choice aside, if we continue to immunize groups based on risk factor, it will drop a lot by May.

When that happens, the whole "flatten the curve" mantra goes out the window. Do we (and the government) just go through the motions and continue to self isolate? Because that's the main underlying (and legit) reason for these shutdowns.

Keeping that up while hospitals normalize will piss a whole lot of people and make the mouthbreathers hate and distrust the government even more.

Public officials shouldn't lie or sustain it out of cynical distrust of the public making good decisions. That's pure laziness and negligence of their own responsibilities.

#29 Invisible Fan, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Major likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think it's foolish and reckless to even consider opening everything up to 100% before May. I also think adding a mask option right now puts too many businesses and employees in a bad situation dealing with Karens if they try to protect themselves and employees by making masks mandatory while we are still a long way from getting even half of Texans fully vaccinated.

11. Invisible Fan

I'm not advocating a 100% re-opening. The debate being framed as an all or nothing issue is part of the problem I'm talking about.

We should increase investments into infrastructure for rapid testing and contact tracing. The idea that this is a one off event is only an assumption.

No one wants to be holed up for another year and we have yet to tear off the bandaid and inspect the economic damage caused by it.

Limit but taper up re-openings. Stress best practices for public spaces, both closed and open. Shine a brighter light on small businesses impacted by our necessary quarantines for the past year.

Major and TWS1986 like this.
  12. Newlin

Newlin Member

When everyone who wants shot can get a shot, and when cases have dropped to a very low number. I think at that point the CDC and others will give the all clear sign. When will that be? I don’t know. If enough people are willing to get the shot, then I think the masks could be safely removed sometime this summer.

BigM likes this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Public places and businesses will still require a mask. Its not going to be that much different.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Not really. The two largest grocery chains already said they won't require customers to wear masks. By next week other businesses will follow suit.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Exactly. That's why 2 or 3 months of not loosening restrictions is smarter, until a much bigger % of us gets vaccinated. Why risk more deaths or risk spreading these new more deadly strains quicker?

seemoreroyals and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

We can agree to loosening restrictions in 2 months though i doubt public officials will endorse it or have a solid plan to accomplish this.

They all suffer from all or nothing thinking and that lack of a clue should worry more people.

B-Bob, Amiga and seemoreroyals like this.
  17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You better just wear it for as long as the judge tells you or she’ll throw all of her books at you

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Abbott won't let anyone enforce anything. He just wants to experiment stupidly, and put people at more risk.

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Abbott already has his mind made up. It doesn't matter how many are against it. His party is all he tries to satisfy, at any cost.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Vaccination is picking speed and there has been a void from the cdc on guidelines for when and to what degree should restrictions be relaxed. The void is filled in by mr joe there and Mrs Jane over there.

Invisible Fan likes this.