1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Oct 28, 2020.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Thats the only deal that we know of. But also that deal would have us a championship in Houston. We literally lost that series(every game) within single digits. It was a very close series. And yes those two were enough. We lost that GS series because of defense.

Houstunna, D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  2. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don't blame Harden for leaving, I never have. I blame him on quitting.... Because he did, because there were a couple of post season appearances where we expected him to rise to the next level but only sank. Why do you think he has the reputation he has? He shrinks under bright lights they say... Because he came up big? He has great stats in the post season. Its not that, Its that there have been moments when he could have delivered this city a chip and failed.

I'm not mad, he gave us an amazing 8 years of basketball. We may never sniff that many wins again. We may never get to hate the media again for bashing our guy. And I hope he wins it all, I think both MDA and Harden will be champs and possibly multiple times before they retire but damn is it fair for us? Did we ever have a Durant and Irving caliber type player? That was on L Alexander not Tilman. We never get that sort of talent. We never have. We lucked into Harden and every other "super star" was either coming off injury or on the tail end of their careers. Harden went to play with two of the best players in the world. We aren't that type of team, we aren't that type of city. We will never have the best running here. They will always run off to you know where.

And Tilman received a top tier contender? That was the window year, that was the only year Houston had a shot. And that windows shut close the moment Paul went down. You know what the problem was? That Morey had put together a team for that very moment and to compete against that very GS team. Nothing else. We had no assets, no value. We had no one to trade, no more pieces to move. We had no draft picks and no super stars begging to come here. If we would have won it all that year, Morey is a genius but we did not. And we are now paying the price for it.

You don't think Tilman would sign Durant and Lebron and Harden if they wanted to play here? You don't think he would want to cash in on that and win some chips? You really think Tilman is making money off these teams by saving money? Blame Tilman but this team flat out imploded. It was time. It was run over. It was decimated emotionally by GS and injuries regardless of who the owner was. No one could have saved this team, we are not L.A we are not New York. We are not where players want to go. This is Houston, our only hope is to draft or trade for young potential and pray that guy gives us something before running off to California.

chadyang likes this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Are you talking about the GS series, the first one where Paul went out because I totally disagree. Ariza and Prince where playing great defense not to mention Tucker. That team was perfect to face GS. No one was stopping GS on offense that year, also Durant was out bounds...

4. HP3

HP3 Member

No, we would have won that series had Cp3 been healthy(as well as Luc). Im talking about the very next year. That very next year where Tillman should have opened his check book.

D-rock likes this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

perfect except no backup PG

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

And if he would have, we would have faced GS again.... That GS team was one of the best of all times, and the following year we would have faced The Lakers with Anthony. I want to be with you, I want to believe we had it but when you think about those teams it really grounds you. Why not give Tilman a chance to spend? I started out bashing him, just like you did. I just feel like he is not entirely responsible. And if he is, maybe its time he wakes the f up and realize he is running the franchise to the ground. The first report, Tilman was the cause of a super star not getting paid to come here I will take back everything I have said. But I cant for Temple and Green....

7. Salvy

Salvy Member

We had the purest
    [​IMG]

BossHogg713 likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea and we would have multiple championships by beating those teams again and again. The Lakers with Anthony Davis loses to Harden/Cp3/Tucker/Covington/Capela(or Woods) with assets left over to improve. Nope, we competed with those teams. There is nothing to be delusional about. The only way those guys had of stopping Harden was doubling Harden. That was it. They used a Quad injury Covid Ridden Westbrook to do so(he's also just not a good playoff performer either). If it was just one thing...than no one would be upset with him. He interfered with Morey's work and did not spend when we needed him to. He also had his dopey son following Morey around. Temple and Green literally gets us a title. We have title, its right there. You have to realize the moves being made that season and how they were almost ALL about saving money. It was the WORST year to do so. He ran the core of the Rockets out of town. I will not forgive him for being trash.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I can summarize your whole post and say: Harden didn't fail to rise to a level he has ever claimed he can achieve, Tilman failed to deliver what he owes the fans, and more importantly what's causing your distress here is you failed in the setting of your expectations.

You're comfortably riding a donkey that's dying and whipping him over and over again not realizing it's a donkey. There's no reason you should expect him not to have bad games when we know he simply is incapable of wining with the rosters you're describing.

You are totally wrong here and need to reconsider. If you think it's going to take less than twenty years to get a player as inadequate as you consider Harden, you're literally planning to fail. That's the second best player this franchise has ever had, and you forgot he's a human being not a play station you can keep restarting.

You were totally wrong when you thought everything was in place to win just by harden listening to you. It was not just a matter of more effort or less stubbornness. It's just not possible unless you get luckier than everyone else, and you don't plan a strategy where you rely on luck more than everyone else. Wtf? You think it's a coincidence all the experts and masters of their craft (again Franchise Player, Coach and GM) left while some dumbass fans and an incompetent owner disagreed with them? How can all the experts be wrong and all the amateurs be right?

Reconsider now, no one is buying it, you're in a box you created for yourself.

#109 Mathloom, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    D-rock and Wulaw Horn like this.
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Must admit these last few pages have me better informed. I knew Tilman has made some cheap decisions but didn't realize how cheap he's been. But it's kinda expected since he needed a loan from Alexander to purchase the team in the first place. So here's where we're at. Tilman isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but there's still hope he and the Rockets can improve and relatively quickly. We have young talent, extra draft picks, and Tilman will likely spend more as his debt lessens. True, he ****ed off a favorable situation, but regaining contender status isn't necessarily 20 years away, or 10, or even 5.

Also, some of this is on Harden. He straight up underestimated this year's talent. Rockets are easily above .500 if you remove his flop games and Wood's injury. Harden-Wall-Wood is a formidable squad.

#110 Houstunna, Mar 5, 2021
    topfive likes this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Why not give tilman a chance to spend. Jeezus christ.

If the man was unwilling to open his wallet for the second best player in our franchise after all that talk about doing whatever It takes, he's not gonna open his wallet for any player.

D-rock and MettaWorldPete like this.
  12. kevtse

kevtse Member

Hell yeah! This is a process.

You and I know that Harden can never win a champ. He will quit in the playoffs, even with the Nets.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

So it appears the opposing sides' arguments in the "Who's Responsible for the CP3-for-Westbrook Trade?" question can be summed up like this:

Harden Was Responsible! side:
    * Feels right to me
    * Seems like something Harden would do
    * Appeared like he didn't want CP3 around
    * C'mon, Harden and Westbrooks are friends!

Tilman Was Responsible! side:
    * Tilman himself actually told multiple national reporters on the record that he was responsible

#113 topfive, Mar 5, 2021
    D-rock, Wulaw Horn and Deuce like this.
  14. Salvy

Salvy Member

So The MVP and franchise player for 8 years is less responsible for a failed performance in some but not all playoff games that were significant to a pathway that led to the finals which we never even reached. Than year 3 of a new owner who was handed a decimated roster either by injury or by age. Tilman had options? We are arguing about a team that never even made the finals that the owner dismantled and ruined?

Harden far exceeded any expectations of mine, you are trying to instill a theory and a narrative on me that does not exist. That I have not expressed. You keep living in what-ifs instead of living in what-did happen. If Paul's ankle does not give out what makes you so sure Houston beats LeBron? We love to flirt with this idea Houston would be champs but that's literally every team that played in the playoffs and made a game 7 at some point. If that three would gone in, if that ref would not have made that call, if that player (insert name) would not have been injured.

To be fair Houston was the 2nd best team that year with Paul, but to automatically claim they would have been champs is absurd. Was Orlando in for an automatic win in 1994 when The Rockets won their first Championship? Anything can happen when its the right players at the right time.

Harden did get some opportunities to rise up, and either could not because of the talent around him or did not because he was not ready or capable. I think he looks ready this year. He changed his game to a point where double teaming him is pointless now. He is still just as lethal offensively. But with us, he was the man. He was the one MDA and Morey himself decided would be the centerpiece and everything would go through him. It almost worked, but did not. That is a fact not an opinion.

The Rockets did not want to trade Harden, Morey and MDA left..... They left. They were not fired, whether Tilman pushed them out or not does not make a difference towards what Harden wanted. He wanted to win a chip. Or do you think he would have sacrificed his legacy for MDA and Morey here Houston? Why do you piece everything together so nicely to fit your puzzle instead of looking at these men as individuals with different goals and aspirations that chose a different pathway than the one that best fits your witch-hunt for who ruined the Rockets.

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Enjoy the next few years hating Tilman every time The Rockets lose, I hope you are wrong as hell about Tilman. For now I think its too early to really tell. One of is wrong, I hope its you and not because want to be right. Because I want to enjoy basketball again.

16. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

#fakenews, or so I was told.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Salvy

Salvy Member

So the reports that don't fit your opinion are biased and bs? Just rumors.

I'll play, lets say I'm wrong. Totally wrong, Harden was happy with Paul and pissed when Westbrook arrived to town. Harden had absolutely nothing to do with Westbrook. I'm just speculating based off nothing but my feelings.

Did you see that team when Paul came back? Paul looked done, maybe it was a bad year? But that team had no chance, they looked mentally out of it.

At the time, Westbrook for Paul was not the worst idea or possibility. Some said Paul's contract was virtually untradeable. He was getting older, coming off an injury and did not look very good that following year.

Westbrook was a younger, faster and more exciting player that had been pretty damn good in OKC. Heck the first half of the season Westbrook was playing pretty damn well for us. He went down and then proceeded to get blocked like 20 times by LA.... I don't think it was a terrible trade at the time, yeah today no way in hell you make that trade because Paul has been incredible in OKC and Phoenix. But to adjust everything that went or is going wrong and blame Tilman for it is absurd. Like Morey did not make mistakes, or MDA was perfect. What about Capela? was that Tilman too? To put Tucker on Anthony Davis? Tilman must have made that call as well.

Houstunna likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

I just hope we luck out with picks LOL. I hope he learns his lesson and stays out of the way. I don’t expect him too but a thing is possible lol.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Let's be fair here, there's no doubt Tilman had the final push to get Morey to make a trade he didn't want to do. There's no doubt Harden wanted that trade as well or at least gave his nod. I mean why would Westbrook randomly choose Houston as a destination, there's no doubt they talked in the offseason about it after PG was traded. But then again, most people didn't think CP3 had it anymore that's why he had no trade market.

Houstunna and Salvy like this.
  20. Salvy

Salvy Member

You do know Tilman could luck out via draft picks or trade and look good without actually working towards it? At the end of the day, we can't do anything about it. Feels bad not having anyone in the all star game, its been a long time. Feels like a party we were left out of.