1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your reasons for not going vegan?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

@jacoby your life is an absolute disaster, get your **** together before lecturing other people for eating meat.... go drive around in your Uber Tesla or sniff cocaine (that finances murderers) or get probed by aliens or whatever the hell you do when your aren’t crying while whacking your pud... just keep it to yourself.

clos4life, Blake, CCity Zero and 3 others like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not religious, but theoretically speaking, God gave us parents dominion over our children too, morals don't just disappear due to dominion, and if anything, one can argue the very fact of having dominion gives on a duty to strive for morality.

3. Buck Turgidson

Not religious either, but Nature is a cruel b!tch goddess.

Why should humans not be a part of it?

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't, I'm just saying that logic is, even if one were to be religious, flawed.

I have two sides to my personal thought patterns on the subject, I'm very much opposed to killing animals for ethical reasons, and I'm also really into naturalism and am therefore somewhat conflicted at various points. That being said, to engage directly to your point, by playing vegans advocate, there's a lot of cruel **** that happens in nature that we as a society have decided to condemn being a part of.

Then, there's the reality of there being almost nothing natural about how we go about eating animals as a society, too.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Oh I've said a lot about this.

There can be. It's up to you, the consumer.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I didn't mean to gloss over this earlier...talk to me about what your thoughts are here. I have thoughts of my own.

7. jacoby

jacoby Member

Lots of my posts are tongue in cheek. But I'm down to have a serious discussion about it. I'm not really interested in answering the invasive species question now though. There's a lot of different stances on that even among vegans but it deflects from the real issue at hand. Billions of sentient animals are being massacred every single year. They're treated horrifically, and no matter how many "Uncle's farms" people get their meat from, the reality is 99% of meat comes from these factory farms. Almost every single meat eater contributes to to some degree, not for survival, or the "food chain". I'm open to hearing specifics on how factory farming is morally justifiable. And if you say it's not, then you should ask yourself why you contribute to it.

And I get it, it's hard to just go vegan overnight. I didn't go vegan the moment I found out about factory farming. But imo, the only honest excuse non-vegans have sounds something like: "I know I'm paying for animals to be tortured in ways I'd never accept to be inflicted on myself or my family, but I don't care enough to stop it."

If you have any rational defense for continuing those practices rather than stopping it as soon as we possibly can, I'm all eyes.

8. Buck Turgidson

We have talked about, and I am not a fan of at all, of "factory farming". That doesn't mean that I don't need to cull wild pigs and deer (talk about an organic, sustainable source of meat?), it's all about conservation and making the land, grass, and wildlife as it should be. Livestock is a part of that, hunting is a part of that....

Yall should all either look up or visit Selah, Bamberger Ranch, in Blanco County, and try to understand our conservation goals.

https://bambergerranch.org/

https://texashillcountry.com/transformation-selah-bamberger-ranch/

9. jacoby

jacoby Member

Do you ever eat out at restaurants?

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Right, and that's a middle ground I think everybody can agree on (even if vegetarians/vegans want to take it further), the way we currently handle the vast majority of animals that we eat just isn't ethical regardless if you eat meat or not.

I find the act of killing to be sickening and repulsive, I have a very high value on life, not being religious I view every life as that beings one and only, taking away a sentient creatures time on earth, be it a bug to a human, is of the highest of crimes in my mind.

At the same time, I'm very much a naturalist and a health nut. I have this dream for my family, this life in my mind that I want to set up for my children, to have a farm that can sustain our own diets, and ultimately our lives. Animals fit extremely well when trying to gameplan an efficient system to sustain a robust healthy diet for multiple families.

I can honestly go into and talk about it for hours, but it leaves me conflicted. I ultimately settled on the idea, that it just ain't right to kill mammals, it's too ****ed up (and if anybody has an objecting to butchering dogs/cats/horses I'd be willing to wager that y'all may too have serious ethical conflicts with eating fellow mammals) But, I'll happily have chicken/duck eggs, and am reluctantly interested in having a fish pond. But that's in my future dream world, for now, I'm sticking to a diet that is of 8 years that is vegan, outside of honey, and recently, an occasional cart of eggs from a local farm that doesn't slaughter their hens.

11. Buck Turgidson

Yes. I know where you're going with this.

12. jacoby

jacoby Member

Well yeah. If you're not a fan of factory farming, why don't you put a greater effort into avoiding it altogether?

13. Buck Turgidson

Let me know how this works out for you.

14. Buck Turgidson

Where do you get all of your fruits and vegetables?

And grains and legumes?

15. Buck Turgidson

How do you know that I don't?

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Plants have feelings, too, and they feel pain. So says the science man. They are bombarded with chemicals. Dirty Mexicans manhandle them. So maybe one day we will all start an only synthetic based diet with Bill Gates. We would be known as synthies. Our diets would not harm any organism on Earth.

Yung-T and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's gonna be a minute. I'm hoping I'll live to see the day, and I'm under 25.

It's a unique vision, hopefully, I'll get it worked out in time to share it with others.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Even if this mush brain bad faith argument, animal products require a significant feed conversion ratio.

dumb

19. Buck Turgidson

C'mon now, if they had feeling I'd imaging the'd feel that 2.4D is being used entirely too much.

I was just curious about the "I want to live in the country on a farm and not kill anything". That's what I was talking about.

#79 Buck Turgidson, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Plants use a lot of water and land.

Even though I disagree, I'm just messing around. Do what you want.